Mission Trips- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mission trips are great if the main purpose is to, perhaps, help others less fortunate than ourselves and to experience a different cultural/socio-economic environment. In the last few years, they acted as magnets to expand the "dental experience" of aspiring predents. Unfortunately, they have also been a source of abuse.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Mission Trips.doc
    26 KB · Views: 827
When speaking to one of the dentists who did this sort of volunteer work he was encouraging me to join him on such a trip to not only shadow/observe but hopefully get some hands on experience. I had some serious issues with such a proposition, but in some of these countries the level of care even by the "certified" professionals is appalling.

I personally felt unqualified to work on real patients so I didn't. I feel untrained pre-dents shouldn't be working on people, but there are "professionals" who provide an equally low level of care in certain places. All I'm saying is that this is a complicated issue where everything isn't 100% clear which means our individual convictions will be what decide how we handle the situation. Its a shame that the downtrodden are so easily trampled upon; maybe if we could recognize that the inequity of wealth in no way devalues their existence, we wouldn't have such abuses.

Members don't see this ad :)
When speaking to one of the dentists who did this sort of volunteer work he was encouraging me to join him on such a trip to not only shadow/observe but hopefully get some hands on experience. I had some serious issues with such a proposition, but in some of these countries the level of care even by the "certified" professionals is appalling.

I personally felt unqualified to work on real patients so I didn't. I feel untrained pre-dents shouldn't be working on people, but there are "professionals" who provide an equally low level of care in certain places. All I'm saying is that this is a complicated issue where everything isn't 100% clear which means our individual convictions will be what decide how we handle the situation. Its a shame that the downtrodden are so easily trampled upon; maybe if we could recognize that the inequity of wealth in no way devalues their existence, we wouldn't have such abuses.

Had a similar experience on a trip to Honduras. I was asked multiple times if I wanted to give shots and pull teeth. I declined because I felt it was against what I felt was right. However, other non dentists did numb patients and extract teeth. This is a serious problem... Come on people be professional and exercise your knowledge of what's right and wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Had a similar experience on a trip to Honduras. I was asked multiple times if I wanted to give shots and pull teeth. I declined because I felt it was against what I felt was right. However, other non dentists did numb patients and extract teeth. This is a serious problem... Come on people be professional and exercise your knowledge of what's right and wrong.

i know that many dentists in vietnam are not licensed nor had any education. Most of these "unlicensed dentists" gain experience by doing more and more. Many are successful and I'm just shocked to find so many people would trust their teeth with them.

Yeah so these untrained people aren't necessarily the worst thing in those countries, but people really should know better. When volunteering at a free clinic here, I saw a lot of non clinical folks dole out medical advice. I checked vitals and noted down complaints but would NEVER feel comfortable telling a patient "You should probably do this". I feel that people who're helping out the poor, get a great ego boost from doing more and more and tend to overstep their boundaries. Even if they have the best of intentions, its still wrong!

i know that many dentists in vietnam are not licensed nor had any education. Most of these "unlicensed dentists" gain experience by doing more and more. Many are successful and I'm just shocked to find so many people would trust their teeth with them.

Greetings,

I am curious in your statement and do you have any evidence to support this? DP

How is learning from the mission trips any different than learning in school? If they teach you how to do it properly, supervise you while you do it, and step in when you make a mistake, I don't see any problem with it.

How is learning from the mission trips any different than learning in school? If they teach you how to do it properly, supervise you while you do it, and step in when you make a mistake, I don't see any problem with it.

If you could learn all that in a week, why would we have 4 years of school? Based on just anatomy alone, if you extract a tooth and don't pay attention to all the structure you can't see, things could get ugly.

Would you want to be the patient?

If you could learn all that in a week, why would we have 4 years of school? Based on just anatomy alone, if you extract a tooth and don't pay attention to all the structure you can't see, things could get ugly.

Would you want to be the patient?

I didn't say you can learn "all that" in a week - do you need four years to learn a single procedure? The extractions you may do on a trip might be on cases where the tooth is so mobile that anyone can extract it, and if it is too hard for the students, then the dentists/supervisors can always exercise their professional judgement and step in.

Would I be a patient? If I am put in that situation where I am living in an area that has no affordable dental services available and I am in a lot of pain, sure I will be. Going by your logic why would anyone want to be a patient for dental students?

The point isn't to argue whether or not someone can pull a loose tooth. It's not that hard to wiggle a tooth out. It's just a matter of ethics. Just because you are in some third world country where no one can understand you doesn't mean you shouldn't treat each patient professionally and handle your business exactly as you would on your own patients. People aren't stupid even when they don't speak your language. They are terrified of dentists as is, and know when someone with less experience steps in which ruins their experience and causes them to not come back next time. On top of that, complication do occur and it can be serious. Why not just play it safe from the beginning and do the work yourself if you are down there providing the service. Just an experience that I had while serving in a clinic-- I went down with an endodontist and all the general dentists would numb the patients, fill cavities and if they found teeth that needed root canals they would send them over. Well, turns out one of the dentist was letting his brother (no experience) 'numb patients' that were waiting in line so he could rush through them. When they got over to the endo chair, none of them were numb and they were all terrified because this kid didn't know what he was doing. Myself and the endodontist both had a problem with it ethically. It's just wrong... treating people differently then you would at your own practice. Dentist should practice their professional judgement and not let them step in the first place.

The difference b/w this and dental students doing it with a professor over their shoulder is that they are taking the necessary steps to learn the anatomy and proper way to do the procedure/numbing. On top of that, people who are seen by dental students KNOW they are going to be seen by dental students meaning they are educated as to what is going on. People in clinics really don't have a choice..if the dentist wants to let someone step in..thats what happens, there's usually no consulting of the patient involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say you can learn "all that" in a week - do you need four years to learn a single procedure? The extractions you may do on a trip might be on cases where the tooth is so mobile that anyone can extract it, and if it is too hard for the students, then the dentists/supervisors can always exercise their professional judgement and step in.

I guess. It's not allowed in the states outside of a school setting. So I don't see why we should behave otherwise whether it's the law of their land or not. It's just unprofessional and ethically, any school admin would shut you down if you mentioned doing any irreversible procedures as an unlicensed and untrained individual (OTJ training doesn't cut it).

Why would you want to do it anyway? For the cool factor? To say you've done it before? A fun Facebook status? These people aren't mannequins to practice on.

Would I be a patient? If I am put in that situation where I am living in an area that has no affordable dental services available and I am in a lot of pain, sure I will be. Going by your logic why would anyone want to be a patient for dental students?

So they get what they pay for, huh? In a school clinic, you've had (proper) training before seeing any patients. Thats the point of lectures and sim labs And it's in a highly controlled environment by those involved in the educational sector, not just random field dentists. Slow care in a school clinic is not the same as a predent just trying stuff out.

Members don't see this ad :)
The point isn't to argue whether or not someone can pull a loose tooth. It's not that hard to wiggle a tooth out. It's just a matter of ethics. Just because you are in some third world country where no one can understand you doesn't mean you shouldn't treat each patient professionally and handle your business exactly as you would on your own patients. People aren't stupid even when they don't speak your language. They are terrified of dentists as is, and know when someone with less experience steps in which ruins their experience and causes them to not come back next time. On top of that, complication do occur and it can be serious. Why not just play it safe from the beginning and do the work yourself if you are down there providing the service. Just an experience that I had while serving in a clinic-- I went down with an endodontist and all the general dentists would numb the patients, fill cavities and if they found teeth that needed root canals they would send them over. Well, turns out one of the dentist was letting his brother (no experience) 'numb patients' that were waiting in line so he could rush through them. When they got over to the endo chair, none of them were numb and they were all terrified because this kid didn't know what he was doing. Myself and the endodontist both had a problem with it ethically. It's just wrong... treating people differently then you would at your own practice. Dentist should practice their professional judgement and not let them step in the first place.

The difference b/w this and dental students doing it with a professor over their shoulder is that they are taking the necessary steps to learn the anatomy and proper way to do the procedure/numbing. On top of that, people who are seen by dental students KNOW they are going to be seen by dental students meaning they are educated as to what is going on. People in clinics really don't have a choice..if the dentist wants to let someone step in..thats what happens, there's usually no consulting of the patient involved.

Again, you are describing an experience where the person has no idea what he is doing, is trained poorly on the job, and is not supervised to provide care. If this happens, then the person should not be doing such in the first place. You don't NEED to go to dental school to be educated didactically - you can learn by yourself. How do dental students learn anything? They read books, powerpoint slides, and ask questions. What's stopping you or anyone else to read the same material and ask the dentist about the questions you have before they train you? For example, if you go on youtube and look at a video of infiltration and read malamed's about the procedure, you are just as "well-trained" as a dental student before they start their clinical practice.

EDIT: By clinical practice I mean clinical training, not after they have graduated.

Last edited:
Originally, I thought that a mission trip would be an awesome experience if I were able to extract a tooth or any other irreversible procedure. After a lot of reflection I now feel differently. I don't want to be held responsible for the improper care of any patient, whether they are a US citizen or citizen of some other nation, whether on US soil or foreign soil while not enrolled in dental school. In a weeks time I don't think a dentist could sufficiently train me to properly perform any irreversible procedure.

So I guess that at first it sounded like a great resume booster and ego booster. On second thought, I want the best care for every patient so I say let the trained dentists do the work and those predents who go on mission trips can watch and help where they won't do any harm.

Again, you are describing an experience where the person has no idea what he is doing, is trained poorly on the job, and is not supervised to provide care. If this happens, then the person should not be doing such in the first place. You don't NEED to go to dental school to be educated - you can learn by yourself. How do dental students learn anything? They read books, powerpoint slides, and ask questions. What's stopping you or anyone else to read the same material and ask the dentist about the questions you have before they train you? For example, if you go on youtube and look at a video of infiltration and read malamed's about the procedure, you are just as "well-trained" as a dental student before they start their clinical practice.

Oh really? well damn... im not going to dental school anymore. I'll look up dentistry on youtube and learn from there. Maybe if I tell a dentist I learned myself he will let me do a root canal at his practice. SWEET! It all goes back to ethics for me, it's not so much about being experienced/educated. I was asked if I wanted to fill a cavity and said no.. I watched a ton of fillings while shadowing, so I probably should have said yes. I was definitely just as prepared as the dentist there.

So they get what they pay for, huh? In a school clinic, you've had (proper) training before seeing any patients. Thats the point of lectures and sim labs And it's in a highly controlled environment by those involved in the educational sector, not just random field dentists. Slow care in a school clinic is not the same as a predent just trying stuff out.

Just because they are receiving care from an "unlicensed" person doesn't mean they will receive substandard service. Again, if you have the "proper" training to do the things you are asked to do, then it should be no different than in a school clinic. Do you know any person who went on a mission trip and did complex procedures or even prepped teeth without training? How much training do you need to extract a very mobile tooth? How much training do you need to insert a needle in an area where the dentist tells you to insert at a depth the dentist tells you while they are watching over your shoulder?

Oh really? well damn... im not going to dental school anymore. I'll look up dentistry on youtube and learn from there. Maybe if I tell a dentist I learned myself he will let me do a root canal at his practice. SWEET! It all goes back to ethics for me, it's not so much about being experienced/educated. I was asked if I wanted to fill a cavity and said no.. I watched a ton of fillings while shadowing, so I probably should have said yes. I was definitely just as prepared as the dentist there.

You will be surprised at how many students and even dentists look on youtube or other sources of media to learn procedures. Way to extrapolate what I said and take it out of context. Just because YOU said you are experienced doesn't mean you get to do things - my point is if you are trained properly, whether you are in a dental school setting or a rural outreach setting, then you should be able to do some procedures provided that law does not state anything against this type of practice. Also, just watching a dentist do things doesn't mean you are as prepared as the dentist - don't kid yourself. You are not just as prepared, but you don't have to be, because if you are being supervised properly, and you have done your homework in gaining the prerequisite knowledge, then it is up to you to decide whether you are capable of trying certain procedures.

You will be surprised at how many students and even dentists look on youtube or other sources of media to learn procedures. Way to extrapolate what I said and take it out of context. Just because YOU said you are experienced doesn't mean you get to do things - my point is if you are trained properly, whether you are in a dental school setting or a rural outreach setting, then you should be able to do some procedures provided that law does not state anything against this type of practice. Also, just watching a dentist do things doesn't mean you are as prepared as the dentist - don't kid yourself. You are not just as prepared, but you don't have to be, because if you are being supervised properly, and you have done your homework in gaining the prerequisite knowledge, then it is up to you to decide whether you are capable of trying certain procedures.

Thanks :) Opinions are valued, and I wont discount yours. I just feel differently. But there are definitely some parts of your argument that are valid, I guess the difference b/w the way you see it and I see it is that those that I know who have done procedures/numbing aren't prepared or educated. Which I feel makes it unethical. Thats what really annoys me.

This just in. A new school will be opening up that issues online D.M.D. degrees! No clinics or instrument fees necessary! Become a dentist at your own pace from your living room! :thumbup:

Seriously though, I'm on board with the ethics argument. I do not want someone that has only shadowed a dentist yanking my teeth out. Third world country or not. There's a reason for the sim clinics and all of the didactic schooling. Any patient in the world should have a qualified professional do the work.

This just in. A new school will be opening up that issues online D.M.D. degrees! No clinics or instrument fees necessary! Become a dentist at your own pace from your living room! :thumbup:

Seriously though, I'm on board with the ethics argument. I do not want someone that has only shadowed a dentist yanking my teeth out. Third world country or not. There's a reason for the sim clinics and all of the didactic schooling. Any patient in the world should have a qualified professional do the work.

NDPitch FTW!

It's a little disrespectful to the profession...and to other health professions. I'm sure fellow colleagues of dentist who allow this think highly of them too. Not to mention the ADA.

May as well go the mid-level provider route.

That's what happens for the didactic portions - people skip lectures and learn at their own pace. Clinically, it's a different story. However, I never said that sim clinics and clinical practice in dental school is not necessary - I only said that you don't need to be in dental school to learn didatically.

Again, I respect your position but if you were in a similar situation where the only relief care you will get is from volunteer clinics, chances are you will choose to go. You guys can't just cherry pick which ethical principles you want to follow - in addition to nonmaleficence, there is also beneficence as well. What if you are in a situation where the simple procedure you provide can provide more relief to a person than the potential risks? So if you don't know CPR, and someone in the dental chair is having a cardiac arrest when it's just you and the dentist, are you going to just stand idly by and do nothing because you weren't trained, or will you listen to what the dentist tells you to do? This is an extreme case, but hopefully you will see the point I am trying to make. It's not just about nonmaleficence.

In addition, you are assuming that if it is a person who is not a licensed professional who provides care, they will do a crappy job - disregarding all the training they may have received, all the safety precautions the supervising dentist may put into place, not to mention the ability for the dentist to step in if there are any complications. If you are lucky to be in a situation where you are trained for the procedure that you want to do in a volunteer setting and have the ability to provide benefits to a patient that far outweighs the risks of providing such service, I do not see how it is so different than in a dental school setting. The only difference is that a dental school is standardized so you know that all the proper steps are followed. Are all volunteering clinics like that? no, and I never argued for that point. However, we can't just assume that ALL volunteering clinics throw you to the wolves without giving you the training you need to succeed, and we should exercise our own judgement to determine whether we are capable of doing certain things or not.

Just because they are receiving care from an "unlicensed" person doesn't mean they will receive substandard service. Again, if you have the "proper" training to do the things you are asked to do, then it should be no different than in a school clinic. Do you know any person who went on a mission trip and did complex procedures or even prepped teeth without training? How much training do you need to extract a very mobile tooth? How much training do you need to insert a needle in an area where the dentist tells you to insert at a depth the dentist tells you while they are watching over your shoulder?

Totally agree man... on my medical mission trip i did pap smears, reset broken bones, performed chiropractic manipulation, and even performed a cleft pallet surgery.

The doctors showed me how to do it the first couple of days, so i felt i was totally trained for the rest of the trip.

Last edited:
Pat, I see the point you are trying to make. I still stick to my opinion, but this kind of discussion is good stuff. If nothing else, this is the type of topic that can come up in an interview (in my opinion anyway). It's good to get people thinking about these things.

Greetings,

Performing dental treatment requires didactic training, hands on supervision and repetition until close perfection is achieved. This can be done only in classroom, clinic with manikin/live patients and it takes years. Even then you only are equiped with a minimal level of proficiency. You simply cannot reach this level by watching YT and think that you can do the same. Giving proper injection and extracting the tooth (sometimes the mobile ones can be the toughest ones) is much harder than it appears to be. A patient deserves to be given a standard of care whether he/she is in dirt poor third world country or in Beverly Hills USA. DP

I'm going on a mission trip next year with a dentist and oral surgeon in my area. Before all of the issues surrounding this were directly addressed, they had some other predents (who are now in dental school!) go with them and perform extractions, fillings, etc. They trained the predents, watched them closely, and ran into no problems.

However, when I go with them on my (first ever) mission trip this year, I won't be doing anything that could be unethical or potentially jeopardize my acceptance to dental school. I'll help in any other way that I can, though.

But, when it comes down to it, I think most predents who possess the initiative to go on a mission trip are probably pretty smart. For a very simple extraction or something along those lines, I think they would be capable with training. Beyond that, I think that many legitimate predents would probably be much better candidates than some of the "witch doctors" in these poor areas, especially with a dentist or surgeon watching their every move.

Oh well. I really just want to help in any way I can, and even if that means holding peoples' hands while the dentist is operating on them, so be it. I just can't wait until I can go and help in greater capacities! :)

Greetings,

Performing dental treatment requires didactic training, hands on supervision and repetition until close perfection is achieved. This can be done only in classroom, clinic with manikin/live patients and it takes years. Even then you only are equiped with a minimal level of proficiency. You simply cannot reach this level by watching YT and think that you can do the same. Giving proper injection and extracting the tooth (sometimes the mobile ones can be the toughest ones) is much harder than it appears to be. A patient deserves to be given a standard of care whether he/she is in dirt poor third world country or in Beverly Hills USA. DP

Hi Dr. Phan,

I agree with you that dentistry is a field that requires lots of training and practice. However, I did not suggest that if I were to watch youtube I would know how to do certain procedures, I am merely mentioning the fact that students, even those in dental school, do watch these videos BEFORE they start their clinical training as a due diligence so they are more confident in LEARNING the techniques during their training sessions. I suggested that you don't need to be a dental student to do these due diligences and read the procedures before you get the proper training you need from the dentists who supervise your learning. I also agree that it is difficult to give proper injection and extracting tooth can be difficult no matter how mobile or how intact the tooth is, however, I hope that the supervising dentists use their judgement and only allow students to do certain cases that are really easy to do and have a low level of risk. If dentists allow students to do IANs or PSAs without teaching them everything or give them the proper training, then that is not okay. However, if the student is trained to do an anterior infiltration, being supervised while he/she provides such skill, and the dentists are ready for any complications, then I don't see how that is so different than in a dental school setting. Lastly, I agree that there should be a standard of care provided to anyone whether they are in first or third world countries, but like I said before, I don't necessarily think that students, whether they are in dental school or not, will provide substandard care IF they receive the proper amount of training, guidance, and also only tackle the cases that are within the realm of their ability.

Check out this link

Personally if anything is going to jeopardize getting into dental school than I wouldn't participate in it. You can still go on a mission trip though. In a recent interview, I was asked a question regarding performing procedures on a mission trip.

Check out this link

Personally if anything is going to jeopardize getting into dental school than I wouldn't participate in it. You can still go on a mission trip though. In a recent interview, I was asked a question regarding performing procedures on a mission trip.

:thumbup: I've seen this on ECU's webpage before. Pretty clear-cut guidelines as to what all we're allowed to do!

Finchy, did they make it seem like the trip may have been a "bad" thing in your interview? I've read some threads where people have said that adcoms seem to scoff at these trips. As long as we aren't being unethical, though, I don't see why they would be so bad!

This is obviously a touchy subject but it really bothers me that a few predents have given mission trips a bad name. I went on a trip with 13 pre-dental students last August and it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. We worked alongside 3 US dentists and were sure to only assist the dentists with their needs. I helped as a translator and did not do anything that would have been deemed illegal or unethical in the US.

My point is, not all of these trips are a bad thing. As long as you are aware of the ethical dilemma that rises with this issue, and you realize that you should not perform procedures that you are not trained to do, then these trips can be very beneficial to both the people you are helping and yourself.

This is obviously a touchy subject but it really bothers me that a few predents have given mission trips a bad name. I went on a trip with 13 pre-dental students last August and it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. We worked alongside 3 US dentists and were sure to only assist the dentists with their needs. I helped as a translator and did not do anything that would have been deemed illegal or unethical in the US.

My point is, not all of these trips are a bad thing. As long as you are aware of the ethical dilemma that rises with this issue, and you realize that you should not perform procedures that you are not trained to do, then these trips can be very beneficial to both the people you are helping and yourself.

It's true. If you're going down there with your own agenda and just looking out for yourself, you're missing the point of volunteering. Being in a dental environment is just a bonus.

It's just what doc said in the first post:

"Mission trips are great if the main purpose is to, perhaps, help others less fortunate than ourselves and to experience a different cultural/socio-economic environment."

I went on a trip before school started. I probably did more shadowing than anything and helping where I could (set up, cleanup, sterilization, entertaining little Mayan kids, running instruments and materials, assisting assistants...). There was very little directl assisting because I was the least qualified and probably the slowest. It was fast-paced and me getting too involved with hands-on dentistry was just going to slow it down and cause less people to be seen. I was invited down there because the lead dentist knew I was starting school and he insisted I see that side of dentistry before I started. And what I got out of it has very little to do with dentistry.

I thought I'd share to both agree with you, and to lighten it up in here. By the way, my horse's name is Peter.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on writing about mission trips in their AADSAS applications. As an untrained pre-dental student, I did not practice any unethical procedures on my own trip and left all of the actual dental procedures to the professionals. I would really like to include some of this in my personal statement but I fear that the admissions committees will look down upon any mention of mission trips. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dentistry is 75% hands on type of work.

A person who feels they are capable of doing such dental procedure should practice, with out practice he or she will never learn nor grow as "dentist".

120-150 years ago, barbers (I think) were extracting teeth here in the U.S., but due to licensing and maybe some capitalism certain levels of requirements are needed.

Anesthetic application is not complex nor is removing a tooth, some countries do not require a license to practice especially in a under privileged areas.

Root canal ,ortho , oral reconstruction and creating a proper oral appliance to/for a patient is complex.

These health mission trips are not abuse. The patients are happy to see these volunteers.

I've had admissions from a high ranked (stat-wise) dental school explain that they prefer to see dental volunteering take place within the states. They see many individuals in nearby communities that need care similar to other countries. They feel that there is no reason to fly to countries like Honduras if you are ONLY performing assistive functions as you should be doing.

They obviously worded it much nicer, but this has been emphasized to me on NUMEROUS occasions.

I think that the ability to earn a DMD (or MD if you want to go that omfs route) and have ability to cut into someone's tissues is a sacred right. In line with the ADA's ethics policies I think you should only do what youre trained to do and avoid doing any harm at all.

Dentistry is 75% hands on type of work.
A person who feels they are capable of doing such dental procedure should practice, with out practice he or she will never learn nor grow as "dentist".
120-150 years ago, barbers (I think) were extracting teeth here in the U.S., but due to licensing and maybe some capitalism certain levels of requirements are needed.
Anesthetic application is not complex nor is removing a tooth, some countries do not require a license to practice especially in a under privileged areas.
Root canal ,ortho , oral reconstruction and creating a proper oral appliance to/for a patient is complex.
These health mission trips are not abuse. The patients are happy to see these volunteers.

Right. Local anesthesia/extractions are so simple we could probably train a monkey to perform them. Can you name some countries where dental education/licensure is not required to function as a dentist?

Right. Local anesthesia/extractions are so simple we could probably train a monkey to perform them. Can you name some countries where dental education/licensure is not required to function as a dentist?

Lol, you had to dig a little for this huh? It's definitely not right but I would think dentists/surgeons are the ones being ethically irresponsible more than students for allowing it.

Lol, you had to dig a little for this huh? It's definitely not right but I would think dentists/surgeons are the ones being ethically irresponsible more than students for allowing it.

When in doubt, point the finger elsewhere. It's a good thing dentists/surgeons are not asking pre dents to practice extractions on their own teeth.

Last edited:
When in doubt, point the finger elsewhere. It's a good thing dentists/surgeons are not asking pre dents to practice extractions on their own teeth.
I haven't done it, nor would I, nor would the dentist/oral surgeons I know that go on these trips frequently. Calm down. They are both responsible, but in all the cases discussed above the dentist asked the student if they wanted to do it. Correct? Students didn't take the initiative. Dentists are the ones with licenses and knowledge of the ethical/legal bounds of the dental field.