Mississippi College Masters One Year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abyshaky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know how the mississippi college masters in biology (medical sciences) program and how good of a program it really is? i applied to it because the classes look good..

Members don't see this ad.

im in the same boat...applied and spoke to program dir and hope to gain acceptance...just dont know much about the program:confused:

This is kinda an old thread but I'm going to reply just in case anyone else has the same question in the future.

I'm only a senior at Mississippi College and have taken many of the upper level biology classes so I know a good deal about the program. The graduate classes are the same at the undergraduate ones except for if you're a graduate student you're also required to write a term paper for the class.

Some of the classes offered are Medical Physiology, Histology, Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Medical Microbiology, Genetics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, and Biochemistry. Most of these classes are on the same level as the classes offered at University of Mississippi School of Medicine. Most of the textbooks are the same such as the Gutyon text for physiology and Gray's for Anatomy.

Overall the program is rather difficult but I believe it one of the best as far as preparing you for medical school since that is what our curriculum is geared around. Some of the instructors such as Dr. Baldwin and Dr. Bailey also teach at the medical center. Also, talking to some of the Mississippi College Alumni, they claim that MC prepared them very well for medical school and they usually have an easier time adjusting to the rigors of medical school in comparison with students from other institutions.

Any other questions anyone has regarding the school or the program just let me know and I'll try my best to answer them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is kinda an old thread but I'm going to reply just in case anyone else has the same question in the future.

I'm only a senior at Mississippi College and have taken many of the upper level biology classes so I know a good deal about the program. The graduate classes are the same at the undergraduate ones except for if you're a graduate student you're also required to write a term paper for the class.

Some of the classes offered are Medical Physiology, Histology, Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Medical Microbiology, Genetics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, and Biochemistry. Most of these classes are on the same level as the classes offered at University of Mississippi School of Medicine. Most of the textbooks are the same such as the Gutyon text for physiology and Gray's for Anatomy.

Overall the program is rather difficult but I believe it one of the best as far as preparing you for medical school since that is what our curriculum is geared around. Some of the instructors such as Dr. Baldwin and Dr. Bailey also teach at the medical center. Also, talking to some of the Mississippi College Alumni, they claim that MC prepared them very well for medical school and they usually have an easier time adjusting to the rigors of medical school in comparison with students from other institutions.

Any other questions anyone has regarding the school or the program just let me know and I'll try my best to answer them.

What about this program preparing one for Pharmacy school or if you wanted to teach on the community college level? I know that UT favors masters level coursework. Will it aid only in medical/dental school acceptance or other professional schools as well?

What about this program preparing one for Pharmacy school or if you wanted to teach on the community college level? I know that UT favors masters level coursework. Will it aid only in medical/dental school acceptance or other professional schools as well?

I don't really know much about pharmacy school but I would think that the program would prepare you for pretty much any medically related professional program. Also I do know that starting this summer they will be offering a 10-hour credit pharmacology class that will be taught all summer that I've heard is going to be pretty rigorous and difficult. I would think this would be a good class to prepare for pharmacy. Other classes that you would probably be interested in taking would be our biochemistry, gross anatomy, and medical physiology. All three of which are taught by excellent teachers who also teach at the medical school .

I attended a community college for my first two years and our human anatomy and physiology teacher had her BS degree from MC and is currently taking classes to complete the medical masters program while she continues to teach.

Any questions you have I would recommend you getting in touch with the program director, Dr. Baldwin. He is very helpful and I'm sure would be more than helpful with anything you had specific questions about.

I responded to a PM that addressed a few questions that I thought might come up for people interested in MC so I thought I'd post it in this thread just to put some of the MC info all in one place. Hope this is helpful for someone.

PM said:
Dustb2000
Hello. I just got accepted to the masters (medical science) program. I was wondering which classes you have taken (or are taking right now). Which would you recommend or not recommend? In the Fall I was thinking about taking Histology, Biochem, Human Heredity, and Immunology. Do you think that is too much? How easy/difficult is it for students to do research? I know it will count as credit towards the degree... but do students usually do research in the summer? What about DNA Forensics? Graduate Seminar? If you could answer my questions I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I've taken Medical Physiology, Histology, Immunology, Microbiology, Medical Microbiology, Biochemistry, and the undergraduate equivalent of Human Heredity (undergrads take genetics by the same teacher and I'm pretty sure they're the exact same). I'm currently in Neuroanatomy and Embryology and I was also enrolled in Gross Anatomy at the start of the semester but dropped it before the first test because I wanted a little more relaxed final semester at MC. I've never taken DNA forensics but have had several friends who have. As far as research goes, I don't really know many people who have done any significant research at MC. Some people go to UMC over the summer in Jackson to do research but I don't really have much experience with that so maybe Dr. Baldwin would be a good person to ask about that. He is very good at quickly replying to emails and has always been extremely helpful with anything I've ever asked his help for. I'll give a quick summary of the classes and my opinions of them.

Medical Physiology:
This was the first 5 hour class I took and I had it in the spring of my junior year. Dr. Baldwin teaches it and it is probably my favorite class I've taken at MC. Med Phys is also a very conceptual based class and to me it was less memorization than the other 5 hour classes but more problem solving. This is a class I'd highly recommend to take at some point in the program.

Immunology:
Immuno is a very interesting subject and a fun class to take. Dr. Snazzele teaches the class and he is one of the nicest professors at MC. He's very helpful and while his lectures can seem kind of long at times by the end of the semester you will be amazed at the amount of immunology you know. This is another course I'd suggest you take. Its also slightly less intensive than the 5 hour courses.

Biochemistry:
Dr. Bailey teaches this class and he is without a doubt my favorite teacher at MC. He's a great guy and is a fun lecturer. He has taught biochem during the summers the past 2 or 3 years at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine but this was his first year teaching it at MC and he did a terrific job. The difficulty of the class depends on how strong of a chemistry student you are. Some people breeze through the class while some really struggle. I'd say to only take this class if you enjoy chemistry classes, otherwise just stick to the biology classes.

Medical Microbiology:
This class is probably the easiest in the program but still requires a good amount of study time. If you take this class try to find a typed set of notes that is passed around every year. Me and my roommate put it together a year ago when we took it and its very high yield goes along with Dr. Graves's lectures. Also Dr. Graves worked for the Mississippi Health Department and his lectures are fun to listen to because he usually tries to relates most of the bugs and diseases to different outbreaks he saw or heard about through his career so that helps make the material interesting.

Histology:
Another one of the 5 hour classes. The lab component is the most difficult portion of the class. Dr. Dungian taught the class when I took it but now Dr. Estes (this is her first year teaching at MC) is over the class. I'm pretty sure the class hasn't changed much since they still use the same text and lecture notes as when I took it last fall. If you enjoy spending hours looking through a microscope examining tissue samples then this is the class for you. At the end you will be able to take a sample from anywhere in the human body and you can identify where its from and all the types of tissues it contains. Many consider this the least intensive of the 5 hour courses.

Human Heredity:
I found this class boring but some people love it. I already had a solid background in genetics so I found it to be slightly repetitive but at times it could be interesting. This would be a great class for your first semester because its not quite as difficult as the 5 hour classes and will enable you to spend more time on the difficult subjects.

Neuroanatomy:
I'm only half way done with the class so most of this advice will be what has been passed on to me. This is a 5 hour class that Dr. Baldwin teaches. It was actually the first 5 hour class that was offered. Dr. Baldwin started teaching it when he first came to MC. The material is fascinating and with Dr. Baldwin's engaging style of lecturing this is a class that you can truly enjoy going to. The only negative is that the test are absolutely brutal. The upside to this is that any neuro class you take in medical or dental school will seem like a breeze because you will have already mastered the material while under Dr. Baldwin. I highly recommend taking this while you're at MC.

Embryology:
By far the most boring class I've ever taken. Although Dr. Dunigan does an absolutely amazing job at teaching the class, the material is extremely dull. While some people claim to enjoy this class I really don't see how. I guess it could be cool that by the end of the class you know step by step how a baby grows from its humble beginnings as a single celled zygote. If you're a huge anatomy buff this class can also be interesting since afterwards anatomy does make a lot more sense. This class is usually taught as a night class so its convenient for scheduling purposes and is not as difficult as the 5 hours. I do recommend taking the class even though it can be boring. Dr. Dunigan is a fantastic teacher who has only been at MC for a few years but really cares for students and always goes the extra mile to make sure that students really learn the material and understand the key concepts.

Seminar:
This is a simple requirement to fulfill. All you have to do is prepare a 20-minute presentation on a disease that is given to you at the start of the semester.

DNA Forensics:
This class is taught as a 2 week May term class. Last year there was only one test and it was a take home test. Also you are required to give a group presentation. Everyone that I know that took the class received an A.

I hope my answers will be helpful and any other questions you have please feel free to ask. Good luck with the program. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. MC is an amazing place to attend and I have no doubt that you will be satisfied with the quality of the education that you will receive.

Last edited:
Dustb2000:

Do you believe (or have evidence) that a student that does well in the MC post bac program will be more attractive for medical school admissions than they were before they spent the time & money on the relatively unknown MC program.

I spoke with Dr. Baldwin about this program and was very impressed. First things first: if you're a resident of Mississippi and you want to go to Ole Miss for medical school, this seems to be the program for you. If you're an out-of-stater, it's still a good program but doesn't provide direct comparison to medical students that some of the other one-year masters do (i.e. Georgetown SMP).

Another factor: price. It's cheap. Really cheap. And living in Clinton, MS is also probably not too difficult to afford.

Has anyone been accepted to the program for fall 2009?

I'm trying to get into the MC masters program for Fall 2009, I have already submitted my application to MC and have a meeting with Dr. Baldwin in a few weeks.

Dustb2000-do you have any suggestions on what classes would be good introductory classes for the first semester? I really need to get A's and of course I want to learn at the same time, any course suggestions? Also, any suggestions about cheap apartments in Clinton?

Thanks!!

I'm also currently enrolled in the program...I am taking gross anatomy, histology, immunology, and seminar (15 hrs) which is considered on the heavy side in the program..i have a few quick words about the classes i've taken in addition to dustb2000

last semester i took neuro, med phys, and biochem

1) neuro- most interesting class i've ever taken..out of all the 5 hours, this one came easiest to me and i did the best in this class..depends on what kind of thinker you are i suppose..for highly intuitive people that like abstract thinking and like to find connections, this is the class for you..if you are more concrete and need visual stimulation, you may struggle..a lot of memorzation is required but nowhere near the amount of gross...this is the one class i feel that i mastered and would challenge any med student to a neuro duel

2) gross anatomy- ridiculous amount of material..sometimes you will have to pick and choose what to study and not study...some interesting, some boring, everyone has their favorite parts of the body...don't think the lecture portion is bad you just have to study A LOT...don't like lab because you actually have to translate the understanding in your head to parts on models and cadavers...would love if there were no lab portion, although most everyone else is the opposite..

3) medical physiology- 2nd favorite...very concept and calculation based....memorizing every word of the notes is half of the battle..the other half is critical thinking and problem solving...similar to the kind of thinking required on the PS section of the MCAT i would say...a lot of people really struggle with the tests...active learning is crucial for the class...a lot of times i would think that i really understood a concept, then after putting more time in i realized that i wasn't even close and thought i finally figured it out, and then i realized that there is more to it...you need to approach from as many angles as possible..what seems like the simplest thing can really trip you up if you haven't analyzed it to the core

4) histology- hate it...first half of the semester was ridiculously uninteresting...comparable to memorizing pages of random words...i found it very hard to find connections...everyone says this class is the easiest, but it is the hardest for me because it is just too scattered for my brain to put together....lab is pretty tedious too...i think if you are the type of person that did well in history classes throughout school you can excel in this class...the second half is more interesting because you actually learn how some organ systems work instead of memorizing the size of every component of every type of cell in the body and whether they are blue or red...

5) immunology- easy..crammable overnight...at the end of the class i feel like i will have the equivalent knowledge of a med student reading the intro chapter of their text...a good knowledge framework to build on

6) biochem 1- same as immuno for the most part

if you want all A's with 13-15 hours like I took, be prepared to work...i probably average 4-5 hours of studying each and every day and i think that is pretty much the minimum...a lot of people study like 10+ hours a day while only taking 1 class like gross anatomy...speed of learning is the #1 factor here

advice: don't take gross and histo together...too much memorization...gross with med phys or neuro with histo is probably the best combo

sorry if all that seems rambled but i just typed it through during a study break..guess i need a diary..back to studying gross!

I'm coming to mississippi college in the fall of this year and am wondering what are the easiest non-5 hour classes? Also, what research can count for the 1-3 hour requirment?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dustb2000-do you have any suggestions on what classes would be good introductory classes for the first semester? I really need to get A's and of course I want to learn at the same time, any course suggestions? Also, any suggestions about cheap apartments in Clinton?

Thanks!!

I would recommend to read my explanation of the classes from above and just try to pick subjects that you find interesting. All of them require a great deal of study time so just try to pick classes that you'll enjoy. I have found Embryo and Med Micro to be the easiest out of all the classes but everyone is different so some people may disagree with me on that. Also Human Heredity and Immuno aren't bad at all.

Most people live at the Reserve which in my opinion is pretty expensive. Clinton has several cheaper apartments and also rental houses in Clinton are very reasonably priced. I rented a 3 BR 2 story house and with two roommates our rent averaged about $390 a month including all of our utilities, cable, and internet. You can get an apartment guide from any of the grocery stores in Clinton or from some convenience stores and look through that to try to find a place you're interested in. Another option is calling a local realtor and ask if they're aware of any houses for rent that fit your budget.

Last edited:
DustB: thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate the message. Please feel free to let me know any other recommendations. I would appreciate any direction.

Does anyone have any more information about the biochemistry courses and which of the two (macromolecules or metabolism) is more interesting/less intense?

How does this schedule look?
Fall: Gross + Phys + Immuno
Spring: Neuro + Histo + Med Micro
May: what other courses are available in May session besides DNA forensics?

I would like to take Biochemistry and embryology also but would it be too much to add another course (e.g. biochem) for each semester? (or does anyone know of any easy but useful/interesting courses that I should take in addition to the three courses each semester?

Thank you!

Does anyone have any more information about the biochemistry courses and which of the two (macromolecules or metabolism) is more interesting/less intense?

How does this schedule look?
Fall: Gross + Phys + Immuno
Spring: Neuro + Histo + Med Micro
May: what other courses are available in May session besides DNA forensics?

I would like to take Biochemistry and embryology also but would it be too much to add another course (e.g. biochem) for each semester? (or does anyone know of any easy but useful/interesting courses that I should take in addition to the three courses each semester?

Thank you!

For Biochemistry metabolism is definitely easier and more interesting. I would think almost everyone who has taken both would agree with that.

Your schedule looks very solid but I would not recommend adding biochem or embryo for the Fall. I don't really know of anyone who takes more than 3 classes a semester but if after the fall semester if you feel like you could handle 4 in the spring then I would say go for it.

As far as May semester class, DNA forensics and Medical Mycology are the only ones they've offered in the past although there are a few classes to choose from during the other two summer terms (June and July) such as Pharmacology I & II.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! New here.

Does anyone know if this program can be done in the evenings? I currently work full-time from 8-5, so being able to attend classes in the evenings would be better for me.

I called the department, but Dr. Baldwin's not in the office today.

Thanks in advance!:)

Hi everyone! New here.

Does anyone know if this program can be done in the evenings? I currently work full-time from 8-5, so being able to attend classes in the evenings would be better for me.

I called the department, but Dr. Baldwin's not in the office today.

Thanks in advance!:)

Nope..Classes are pretty much during the time you work

There is very little scholarship and grant money given out but federal student loans are very easily attainable.

Thanks for replying....are you a former/current student? If so, what are your opinions about the program?

How difficult is it to become a resident of Mississippi if you are coming from out of state? Do you have to live in the state for a few months...or a year....?

Thanks for replying....are you a former/current student? If so, what are your opinions about the program?
Dustb already answered those questions, look back at the previous posts if you haven't already. They are really helpful!!

I was just accepted to this program for spring admission. I'm pretty sure that I will be attending.

What is your take on this program then? Would you say that for someone who needs to raise their BCPM and is URM this is the program to be in? I am not sure...

What is your take on this program then? Would you say that for someone who needs to raise their BCPM and is URM this is the program to be in? I am not sure...

It's not easy. It is as close to medical school as you will get without actually being in medical school. The courses are similar, but if you do well you will have a MUCH easier time in med school. The program also lets you take shelf exams for certain courses.

I just received an acceptance Friday! anyone else, even though I know it's still early but just wondering.....

Ya, I was accepted on the 2nd. Still waiting for the official letter though

No, I'm from Illinois. I applied to 4 different SMP's or one year master's programs because i have to retake the mcat (verbal reasoning is eating me alive!! lol) But if mississippi is the only one i get accepted to I'm going to have to move down their a month early before the program starts so that i can get in-state residency and apply to ol miss. Are you a mississippi resident?

No, I'm from Illinois. I applied to 4 different SMP's or one year master's programs because i have to retake the mcat (verbal reasoning is eating me alive!! lol) But if mississippi is the only one i get accepted to I'm going to have to move down their a month early before the program starts so that i can get in-state residency and apply to ol miss. Are you a mississippi resident?

Oh okay, No, I'm an out-of-stater myself (Kentucky). I feel you on that verbal, thats the only section that has really held me back....Are you applying for 2011 admission?

Hey clhc18 and BeautyDoc, did you have your B.S./B.A. when you submitted your application? If so, how many weeks did you wait to receive your acceptance?

If not, did you receive a conditional acceptance? like... You've been accepted so long as we receive a completed transcript stamped with the receipt of your Bachelor's. You know, kinda like applying for undergrad while in your senior year of high school.

I guess I'm just nervous b/c I would really like to go to MC.

Yes, I graduated in December so I had my B.S. before applying. It probably took about 3 weeks until I received an exceptance (via email) and another three weeks until an official letter was sent. They were really fast and the application couldn't have been simpler!

Is this a good place for someone looking to raise their BCPM?
I have a really low one right now and want to do an SMP to show med schools that I can do well in harder science classes.

Just wondering, but would anyone mind sharing their stats and let me know if having a 3.0 cGPA and 2.0 sGPA will be competitive?

Also, would it look bad to take GREs in lieu of the MCAT for the SMP program since I want to take the MCAT only once for medical school.

Hey clhc18 and BeautyDoc, did you have your B.S./B.A. when you submitted your application? If so, how many weeks did you wait to receive your acceptance?

If not, did you receive a conditional acceptance? like... You've been accepted so long as we receive a completed transcript stamped with the receipt of your Bachelor's. You know, kinda like applying for undergrad while in your senior year of high school.

Hey ahavah, yea I had my bachelors when I applied ( I graduated last May)....After I sent in my application it took about 2 wks until I got an email acceptance and then about another 2 wks for my official letter. Will you be graduating this spring?

Is this a good place for someone looking to raise their BCPM?
I have a really low one right now and want to do an SMP to show med schools that I can do well in harder science classes.

Just wondering, but would anyone mind sharing their stats and let me know if having a 3.0 cGPA and 2.0 sGPA will be competitive?

Also, would it look bad to take GREs in lieu of the MCAT for the SMP program since I want to take the MCAT only once for medical school.

From what I know, this would seem like a good program to raise your BCMP, maybe you could contact Dr. Baldwin and get more information from him, as I had some similar questions and he was great about answering them.....As far as stats goes, my MCAT is what is really beating me up right now but my GPA is pretty decent....you may want to talk to Dr. Baldwin about that as well....HTH

Where do most graduates from here go on to professional school? I saw a page on the website and it looked like students go to LSU med, Mississippi Med and dental school. Where are people in this program hoping to go post post-bacc?

I'm really interested in this program, but I've applied to several post baccs already and am trying to decide, go to bigger program or smaller? Why choose a smaller one like Mississippi College?

I am a graduate of that program. I learned a lot and the professors are awesome in supporting their students. I didnt apply to medical school after my graduation, so I cannot give stats on how the enrollment of the students into schools. But the program and the school are both great. Are you from Mississippi?

I'm not from Mississippi and I'm wondering where the program leads, if Univ. of Miss. looks hard at the grads of this program or if there are certain programs aware of this SMP and are willing to give the grads a good look. I've applied to a lot of SMPs and am comparing them according to size, costs, results, etc. I'm trying to weigh it all out

I'm not from Mississippi and I'm wondering where the program leads, if Univ. of Miss. looks hard at the grads of this program or if there are certain programs aware of this SMP and are willing to give the grads a good look. I've applied to a lot of SMPs and am comparing them according to size, costs, results, etc. I'm trying to weigh it all out

This program is not linked with the Univ of Miss (UMMC a.k.a Ole Miss) like EVMS' one year postbacc program or other similar programs like FSU, USF...etc... (You are not even guaranteed an interview at Ole Miss.)

You need to become a Mississippi resident to be considered for Ole Miss's med school. This is the only medical school in the state of MS and they strongly prefer (...like 99%.9) of their applicants be from MS to increase post-graduate/residency retention rates in their state. They have a very high shortage of physicians, so this is understandable. Same goes for Alabama.

UMMC (University of Mississippi Medical College) is definitely aware of MC graduates and many graduates of the program have gone on to med school at UMMC. http://www.mc.edu/campus/academics/BIO/news.htm

Ahavah, I've received somewhat of a "conditional" acceptance to MC for fall 2010. I don't have my Bachelor's yet (I will in 12 days!), so the admissions office is just waiting for my official transcript to get to them before they send an official letter. I've already decided to go to MC this fall and am looking forward to it!

Ahavah, I've received somewhat of a "conditional" acceptance to MC for fall 2010. I don't have my Bachelor's yet (I will in 12 days!), so the admissions office is just waiting for my official transcript to get to them before they send an official letter. I've already decided to go to MC this fall and am looking forward to it!

Woo Hoo! Me too... I mean I received something like a conditional acceptance as well. I graduate on Sunday and will probably get to request the official transcripts next Friday.

Did you join the facebook page?

Woo Hoo! Me too... I mean I received something like a conditional acceptance as well. I graduate on Sunday and will probably get to request the official transcripts next Friday.

Did you join the facebook page?

I didn't know there was a facebook page! What's the page name?

I'm new to this forum and just found out about the mc masters program a week ago. I'm very interested in attending but I don't want to wait til spring. I know its kind of late to decide to apply for fall but if I can apply and get in for fall i'm going for it. Do you think I should apply now for the fall or just wait for the spring?