Mississippi State CVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbccgdt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my application to the College of Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State University and was hoping I could connect with people who are in the same process or have been through the process before. My GPA isn't terrible but it isn't phenomenal either, mid-lower 3's. But I faced a lot of obstacles while going through my undergrad career (deaths in my immediate family, taking care of my chronically ill twin sister- who is much better now btw!) I'm working to pull my GPA up but I am a senior so I don't have a whole lot of wiggle room to make a major change. I am a first generation college student and I have been on scholarship my whole undergraduate career and I have worked the same job since I was a sophomore in high school (I live in a college town). I am only applying to MSU-CVM due to the high cost of out-of-state tuition. I have some shadowing experience and a lot of volunteer experience with a local animal shelter. I made a 151 and 152 on the GRE with a writing score of 3. I am hoping to get an interview so I can explain my circumstances and why my GPA isn't stellar. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what my chances of getting in look like with my situation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can search the forum for "Mississippi State" and find threads for past applicants. It appears there actually isn't a c/o 2019 applicants thread yet. I'm not applying to Mississippi State, but I hope you took advantage of the explanation statement space on the VMCAS app to explain the circumstances behind your GPA! You can also post your stats in the "What are my chances?" thread and get some general feedback there: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-are-my-chances.820748/ :)

Reactions: 1 user
rbccgdt, I'm here at Miss State now and really enjoy it. I am happy to answer any questions that you may have, too.

Getting an interview, even for an in-state student, can be really difficult, so I'd recommend strengthening your application to improve your chances to explain what you consider weaknesses in your application. Consider retaking the GRE, and spending time on the areas of the test that you most struggle with. Call and speak with Missy at the school and ask her how they calculate their GRE scores, which I'm pretty sure they take the highest scores in each area of the test, regardless of the attempt.

I am finishing up my application to the College of Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State University and was hoping I could connect with people who are in the same process or have been through the process before. My GPA isn't terrible but it isn't phenomenal either, mid-lower 3's. But I faced a lot of obstacles while going through my undergrad career (deaths in my immediate family, taking care of my chronically ill twin sister- who is much better now btw!) I'm working to pull my GPA up but I am a senior so I don't have a whole lot of wiggle room to make a major change. I am a first generation college student and I have been on scholarship my whole undergraduate career and I have worked the same job since I was a sophomore in high school (I live in a college town). I am only applying to MSU-CVM due to the high cost of out-of-state tuition. I have some shadowing experience and a lot of volunteer experience with a local animal shelter. I made a 151 and 152 on the GRE with a writing score of 3. I am hoping to get an interview so I can explain my circumstances and why my GPA isn't stellar. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what my chances of getting in look like with my situation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
rbccgdt, I'm here at Miss State now and really enjoy it. I am happy to answer any questions that you may have, too.

Getting an interview, even for an in-state student, can be really difficult, so I'd recommend strengthening your application to improve your chances to explain what you consider weaknesses in your application. Consider retaking the GRE, and spending time on the areas of the test that you most struggle with. Call and speak with Missy at the school and ask her how they calculate their GRE scores, which I'm pretty sure they take the highest scores in each area of the test, regardless of the attempt.

I considered retaking the GRE but they recommend that you don't take it after September to ensure that the scores can be submitted in time. I'm definitely going to take advantage of the explanation section to explain my situation. How did your interview process go?

I applied to Mississippi too! My GPA is slightly above average 3.65 but, my GRE scores are on the low side too :oops:
However, I am hoping that my unique animal experience (working with black bears, deer, hawks, owls, you name it!) will help me stand out along with my diverse vet experience.

I'm hoping that my GRE scores will be sufficient. The website says that ~150 is the average score of their previous class. Are you from Mississippi?

Nope I am an OOS which may hurt my chances a little bit, but I am hoping they don't weigh it all on the GREs. :(
Their site gave me a little hope too when they said that was the average scores, that means they take lower scoring students.

I talked to a local vet that I shadowed under that graduated in 2011 and she said that the GRE scores aren't very important to them. They are just looking for well-rounded students that they think will be able to handle the course work. And from what it sounds like, you've definitely got some unique animal experience and a good, competitive GPA. I think its all about rocking the interview if you get one. At least that's what I'm hoping!

I talked to a local vet that I shadowed under that graduated in 2011 and she said that the GRE scores aren't very important to them. They are just looking for well-rounded students that they think will be able to handle the course work. And from what it sounds like, you've definitely got some unique animal experience and a good, competitive GPA. I think its all about rocking the interview if you get one. At least that's what I'm hoping!

That is kind of relieving to hear, literally those scores keep haunting me! I keep thinking maybe I should have retaken them, but I didn't want to do that again. Hopefully this means we are both in a good state for the class of 2019!

That is kind of relieving to hear, literally those scores keep haunting me! I keep thinking maybe I should have retaken them, but I didn't want to do that again. Hopefully this means we are both in a good state for the class of 2019!

I hope so too! Do you know when they start doing interviews?

I hope so too! Do you know when they start doing interviews?
I looked back at last years thread and it seems like they are in February, and that most notifications are sent out in December if that help!

Just bumping this thread. Fellow Mississippi State applicant here. Any other MS State applicants out there?

Second career applicant here. I spent 13 years as a paralegal working in patent law and decided to pursue my childhood dream of becoming a veterinarian. Currently attending University of Texas in Austin finishing up my BS in microbiology and infectious disease. My overall GPA is 3.6, last 45 GPA is about a 3.0, and GRE scores were 156/145/4.5 (V/Q/W). I've got a lot of animal and veterinary experience, so hopefully that will help out. I'm also a first generation college student, so I'm hoping that will make up for some of the dings on my GPA.

I got my email that my application is complete and they are moving on to file reviews. They will make interview decisions no later than 12/19 and interviews are held the first week of February from what I understand.

Good luck to everyone!

Just bumping this thread. Fellow Mississippi State applicant here. Any other MS State applicants out there?

Second career applicant here. I spent 13 years as a paralegal working in patent law and decided to pursue my childhood dream of becoming a veterinarian. Currently attending University of Texas in Austin finishing up my BS in microbiology and infectious disease. My overall GPA is 3.6, last 45 GPA is about a 3.0, and GRE scores were 156/145/4.5 (V/Q/W). I've got a lot of animal and veterinary experience, so hopefully that will help out. I'm also a first generation college student, so I'm hoping that will make up for some of the dings on my GPA.

I got my email that my application is complete and they are moving on to file reviews. They will make interview decisions no later than 12/19 and interviews are held the first week of February from what I understand.

Good luck to everyone!

I also applied here! Just curious when did you get this email? I haven't got one since they emailed me to say they had received my VMCAS application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied here! Just curious when did you get this email? I haven't got one since they emailed me to say they had received my VMCAS application.
Last time I heard from them was October 20th, saying basically the same thing as Maddiegirl's.

Hmm I got one back in August about them having my VMCAS. I haven't heard anything since...

Hey, I got my first email on Oct 20 saying "welcome, we received your app..."

Then on Oct 30 I got the email stating:
"Thank you for your application to Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine. All components of your application have been received and your file is complete. Our admissions committee is currently busy reviewing files to determine which ones will receive an interview.

Interview invitations will be extended via e-mail no later than December 19, 2014. TENTATIVE interview dates are February 2-4, 2015, and February 9-11, 2015."

Hoping for the best! :)

So it sounds like they are still reviewing all of them. Maybe I will email them on Monday just to be sure...

I applied and got in there last year, but chose LSU instead. I did not have an amazing GPA or GRE score, but had a lot of experience. My interview went extremely well, so that's what I think got me in. I would not sweat a subpar GPA. It was stressed several times that they weren't looking for a class full of straight A students. Good luck, and enjoy Missy Hadaway and the whole school's amazing hospitality if you get a chance to interview!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm still wondering if I should be worried that I didn't get an email saying my file was completed? Does anyone know if they are still going through them? In other words should I be worried and email them, or just wait it out?

I'm still wondering if I should be worried that I didn't get an email saying my file was completed? Does anyone know if they are still going through them? In other words should I be worried and email them, or just wait it out?
Apparently interview invites don't go out til late December, so I'd probably just send short email about confirming they have your app materials. Can't hurt!

Apparently interview invites don't go out til late December, so I'd probably just send short email about confirming they have your app materials. Can't hurt!

I may do just that! I had emailed the school with questions earlier in the year and they took a long time to reply...like two months. The girl said that they were having email difficulties, so now I am paranoid lol.

I may do just that! I had emailed the school with questions earlier in the year and they took a long time to reply...like two months. The girl said that they were having email difficulties, so now I am paranoid lol.
There's always the dreaded telephone >_<

For all of you who haven't received confirmation emails-

I just called Haleigh and asked if they had my correct email and why I hadn't received confirmation and she said that the VMCAS server was down and they were unable to print some applicants final VMCAS applications. That was the only thing "missing" from my app, so maybe that's the same for you guys. She said once they finish receiving everyone's VMCAS they will confirm via email.

I called her too. She said she had all of my stuff and that they were not sending them out yet? I had all my stuff in by August, so maybe people who are getting emails are people who just got their stuff in.

I called her too. She said she had all of my stuff and that they were not sending them out yet? I had all my stuff in by August, so maybe people who are getting emails are people who just got their stuff in.

i got all my stuff in by early september...so maybe you're right

I literally just got the application confirmation email today so who knows.

Does anyone know if they have an online status checker like LSU and A&M? I'm assuming no, but thought I would ask.

Also, is December 19th EVER going to get here...:wideyed:

Just got my confirmation email today. All of my items have been received. Now to wait. Will know by Dec 19th for an interview. :)

Just got my confirmation email today. All of my items have been received. Now to wait. Will know by Dec 19th for an interview. :)

Welcome to the "wait some more club" ! :clap:

Reactions: 3 users
I just wanted to fill everyone in, I have a friend at the CVM and he asked Missy when they would let us know. She said December 15 to 19 via email.

Reactions: 4 users
I applied and got in there last year, but chose LSU instead. I did not have an amazing GPA or GRE score, but had a lot of experience. My interview went extremely well, so that's what I think got me in. I would not sweat a subpar GPA. It was stressed several times that they weren't looking for a class full of straight A students. Good luck, and enjoy Missy Hadaway and the whole school's amazing hospitality if you get a chance to interview!! :)

This is really great to hear. My GPA isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. I did well on the GRE V and writing, but my Q score was awful. Fingers crossed I get a Christmas miracle next week. :happy:

Enjoyed MSU's email today. Basically admitting that they are going to make or break Christmas for us, lol!

Hey at least we are not forgotten ;)
But seriously next week is going to be nerve wracking!

I am certain they will probably email everyone on Friday (12/19) based on their previous emails and past experience.

BTW.... I am so nervous/excited. I have yet to hear from anywhere and it's slowly killing me!!!!! Good luck SDN'ers... :)

I'm anxious to hear from mississippi. When I called a while back to make sure they had my stuff the girl was like oh yeah I know your name....I had to bite my tongue not to ask if that was good or bad!

Again, I nearly had a stroke when I saw the email pop up just after my grueling 3 hour final exam... Glad to know we wasn't forgotten, but every time I get an email I brace for the worst! :rolleyes: I agree they will probably send emails Friday.

Happy waiting! Good luck everyong!! :luck::luck::luck:

I'm anxious to hear from mississippi. When I called a while back to make sure they had my stuff the girl was like oh yeah I know your name....I had to bite my tongue not to ask if that was good or bad!

This made me giggle!! I'm not sure I could have resisted the barrage of questions "why?? what do you know?? what did they say????"

Are any of ya'll applying as juniors?

How did it work out for them? It's definitely intimidating applying a year early.

How did it work out for them? It's definitely intimidating applying a year early.
A few of them got it. They had taken all the required courses and tended to have some experience. The ones that did not get in were because they had too low of a GPA or not enough experience (one was told to diversify).

Has anyone tried emailing Missy Hadaway? I emailed her with a general applicant question yesterday, and have yet to hear back. I know it is probably a busy time of year! I was not sure if anyone had any long periods between email responses though, or if it was just due to my untimely email.

Has anyone tried emailing Missy Hadaway? I emailed her with a general applicant question yesterday, and have yet to hear back. I know it is probably a busy time of year! I was not sure if anyone had any long periods between email responses though, or if it was just due to my untimely email.

I haven't in a long time, but I know when I emailed her around April I didn't get a response for a month...she said it was due to an issue with their email. Yet, seeing as how we were all told we would hear back no later than the 19th I would say they may be a little preoccupied instead of having issues.

I haven't in a long time, but I know when I emailed her around April I didn't get a response for a month...she said it was due to an issue with their email. Yet, seeing as how we were all told we would hear back no later than the 19th I would say they may be a little preoccupied instead of having issues.
Yeah... hard to tell really. When I emailed in August it took 5 days...so I think several factors at play! Oh well! Thanks friends!

Also we only have to make it till FRIDAY!!!!!

i'm kinda nervous. Mississippi and tuskegee are my last shot :(

We seriously only have 2 days!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh:confused:

This is my last shot...kind of hard to feel hopeful at this point.