Missouri vs Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkvethopeful

Mizzou Vet c/o 2023
Reaction score
I am really struggling in this decision. It is certainly cheaper to go to Mizzou as I can become a resident after the first year. I'm looking at Mizzou costing $70 grand less than Cornell at the least. I know everyone says that ranking doesn't matter but does the name carry enough influence to matter? Another difference is that Mizzou doesn't have animal contact until year 3 but then has 2 years of clinical v Cornell animal contact day 1. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

but does the name carry enough influence to matter?
giphy.gif

Ranking does not matter, name does not matter, school does not matter. All of the US schools are AVMA accredited, meaning you will get a good education at any of them. Save that 70k.
I’m sure there will be wetlabs at mizzou that you can do to get hands on experience earlier. You can also do stuff during the summer between 1st and 2nd year to get some experience (or relax). Either school will make you a competent veterinarian. Less debt will allow you more freedom later in life.

Reactions: 4 users
Just to share some thoughts on your concern of animal handling: I truly think it doesn’t matter when they start; you will still learn the same things. If you want extra practice, clubs will very likely have wetlabs on it throughout the year. Or you can do volunteer shifts in the teaching hospital if your school is one of the ones that does that.

So I wouldn’t let that be the decider to pay another $70,000. :)

Reactions: 3 users