Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still nothing in RI...
Do you know did they send rejections/waitlist notice also?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't get anything today in MI either...got my hopes up seeing other people getting theirs today. Hopefully they'll come tomorrow, although now I am more worried that it's not good news...

When I talked to her yesterday she didn't say specifically WHAT letters she just said "the letters were sent yesterday" but I mean if they know who they're accepting, shouldn't they also know who they're rejecting? I'm so nervous now!

Nada in FL, USPS is different everywhere so don't sweat it yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also nothing here in NJ. I'm thinking tomorrow we should all hear :xf: (and it better be good news!!)

Well I got my acceptance early and I live in California and it was postmarked on the 10 and I got it on the 14 I hope this helps other people waiting on the west cost. The only reason I can think of that I got mine so early is that I already graduated and they didn't have to wait for my grades. But I have also been worrying that they made a mistake in sending mine out early and that I'm now going to get a wait list letter or rejection now that they sent out like a big batch of them and my mom keeps telling me to stop freaking out because it had my name on it and it is not a mistake. I hope she is right because I really liked the school and it is one of my top choices :)

Well I got my acceptance early and I live in California and it was postmarked on the 10 and I got it on the 14 I hope this helps other people waiting on the west cost. The only reason I can think of that I got mine so early is that I already graduated and they didn't have to wait for my grades. But I have also been worrying that they made a mistake in sending mine out early and that I'm now going to get a wait list letter or rejection now that they sent out like a big batch of them and my mom keeps telling me to stop freaking out because it had my name on it and it is not a mistake. I hope she is right because I really liked the school and it is one of my top choices :)

Eh, I don't think that's it...I'm 28 and have been done for a few years (so no new grades) and I got mine today. Maybe you're just super-great? :p

Eh, I don't think that's it...I'm 28 and have been done for a few years (so no new grades) and I got mine today. Maybe you're just super-great? :p

Well today I got another acceptance packet from Missouri exactly the same as the first one so now I have two acceptances from the same school. Oh well at least they were both acceptances! :laugh: So I guess they sent out my first acceptance by mistake. :rolleyes:

Well today I got another acceptance packet from Missouri exactly the same as the first one so now I have two acceptances from the same school. Oh well at least they were both acceptances! :laugh: So I guess they sent out my first acceptance by mistake. :rolleyes:

:laugh: In case you weren't sure, they REALLY, REALLY want you! :p

Did you interview on the 8th? I totally had a convo w/a girl from CA at the bookstore that day! About how Western's interviews are like 5 hous long...:eek:

:laugh: In case you weren't sure, they REALLY, REALLY want you! :p

Did you interview on the 8th? I totally had a convo w/a girl from CA at the bookstore that day! About how Western's interviews are like 5 hous long...:eek:
No I interviewed on the 6th

Hey! Just read this thread. I live in CA and got the acceptance package on the 14th too, but I didn't get a duplicate one. That makes me nervous!

Hey! Just read this thread. I live in CA and got the acceptance package on the 14th too, but I didn't get a duplicate one. That makes me nervous!
Well then maybe the second one they sent me was a mistake and they forgot they already sent me one. Since you got one on the 14th too I sure that one is fine. Or maybe you will get a second one in the next couple days?? They are exactly the same except for the date on the letter and the postmark date.

Want to ask: did you get residency BLUE SHEET in your package? I found two copy of scholarship forms there but not this sheet. Should i call and ask?

And congratulation to all! :claps:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well then maybe the second one they sent me was a mistake and they forgot they already sent me one. Since you got one on the 14th too I sure that one is fine. Or maybe you will get a second one in the next couple days?? They are exactly the same except for the date on the letter and the postmark date.

You are right, I just got it! Thx for calming me down :)

Want to ask: did you get residency BLUE SHEET in your package? I found two copy of scholarship forms there but not this sheet. Should i call and ask?

And congratulation to all! :claps:

I didn't get a blue residency sheet in mine either. Oh well!

No blue sheet in mine either, did anyone get one?
Anyways- current Mizzou students, here's a question! What's the best way to go about finding housing/roommates? I checked out the facebook group, and it seems pretty inactive... :hungover:

No blue sheet in mine either, did anyone get one?
Anyways- current Mizzou students, here's a question! What's the best way to go about finding housing/roommates? I checked out the facebook group, and it seems pretty inactive... :hungover:

Once the fb group starts filling up, people will start talking about it. On that same note, I searched for the group and can't find it. Can you post a link here? I can share it on our group's wall so they can join. I know some people are already talking about needing roommates for next year, so they'll probably advertise in your group too.

If you live close enough and know someone you want to room with, spring break is a great time to check out some housing options. That's what I did last year (granted, I lived in MO already so it wasn't a long drive) and finding my new place was as easy as saying I was interested a couple of days before I showed up. They showed me around, and I told them that I wanted it when I got home that night, she sent me the application and I was approved that week. Totally painless! I went with one of the companies that was mentioned in last year's thread.

Here's the link to the group I found. It hasn't been active in a while, so I don't know if there's another one out there or not...
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8417948902

I was thinking about making a spring break trip out there to look for housing, I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. I'll have to check out last year's thread! :)

Here's the link to the group I found. It hasn't been active in a while, so I don't know if there's another one out there or not...
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8417948902

I was thinking about making a spring break trip out there to look for housing, I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. I'll have to check out last year's thread! :)

You should make one for your class. We have a 2015 group, and there is a 2014 group, etc. We'll come populate yours like the 2nd years did to us. ;)

You should make one for your class. We have a 2015 group, and there is a 2014 group, etc. We'll come populate yours like the 2nd years did to us. ;)

I did it!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/325668660810542/

Apparently you have to invite a friend to make a group, so my boyfriend just became an honorary member... At least until someone else joins and he can leave... :p

I just requested to infiltrate ;-)

Can I join even if I'm not sure if I'm going to Mizzou yet??

Muahahaha the first year class is totally taking over your group! But seriously, if you have any questions for us or want to friend us, I promise we don't bite.

Muahahaha the first year class is totally taking over your group! But seriously, if you have any questions for us or want to friend us, I promise we don't bite.

You're not kidding- it's blowing up! :laugh:

Hey all! I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm IS for Mizzou, so seeing all these acceptances is making me so excited! I'll be seeing you all in August for school! :D

I am also a long time lurker and, well, second time poster. But, hello, future classmates!! So exciting. Thanks for creating the FB page, I had searched for a while but couldn't find any specifically for our class.

Hey all! I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm IS for Mizzou, so seeing all these acceptances is making me so excited! I'll be seeing you all in August for school! :D

I am also a long time lurker and, well, second time poster. But, hello, future classmates!! So exciting. Thanks for creating the FB page, I had searched for a while but couldn't find any specifically for our class.

Welcome and yay! I'm so excited to see so many people joining the FB group. It's so great to get to meet everyone! :D

If you live close enough and know someone you want to room with, spring break is a great time to check out some housing options. That's what I did last year (granted, I lived in MO already so it wasn't a long drive) and finding my new place was as easy as saying I was interested a couple of days before I showed up.

When did you find out that you were accepted last year? The website says IS students won't be notified until April 15th, which is way after my spring break! I'm going to have to look at boarding barns for my ponies too.

When did you find out that you were accepted last year? The website says IS students won't be notified until April 15th, which is way after my spring break! I'm going to have to look at boarding barns for my ponies too.

ISers last year found out in the 3rd-4th week of March, depending on where in the state they were. I found out the Friday before my spring break.

I was just curious about what kind of surgery experience Mizzou students get. Any estimates on how many surgeries on live animals before you leave school?

I was just curious about what kind of surgery experience Mizzou students get. Any estimates on how many surgeries on live animals before you leave school?

Mizzou students have a surgery class, plus we have a new shelter med rotation that should help students get more surgery experience. We have required preceptorships giving us extra time in the field, so there is potential to assist/perform surgeries there (this is built in because the state of MO requires a few hours working under a vet to be eligible for a license to practice, but you can only start accumulating hours after your second year is done).

Last edited:
Also there is an advanced surgery elective third year for small animal folks. I am not entirely sure but you probably won't get a lot of LA surgery... Look to preceptorships for that.

So, Breenie & Scf44F (and IS'ers), I have a few Columbia questions. I've heard that the north part of town is kinda scary in some places. What areas are to be avoided in terms of housing? I want somewhere I can park my car and not have it trashed, walk at night if necessary, and not have to worry about being woken up by cops or crazy neighbors at all hours of the night :p I was told that the gas stations are a hotbed of gang activity past midnight (whaaa?!). Any insight?

I just don't wanna drag my husband to MO w/me and have it be a total shock.

So, Breenie & Scf44F (and IS'ers), I have a few Columbia questions. I've heard that the north part of town is kinda scary in some places. What areas are to be avoided in terms of housing? I want somewhere I can park my car and not have it trashed, walk at night if necessary, and not have to worry about being woken up by cops or crazy neighbors at all hours of the night :p I was told that the gas stations are a hotbed of gang activity past midnight (whaaa?!). Any insight?

I just don't wanna drag my husband to MO w/me and have it be a total shock.

Yeah the north part of town is generally considered scary and unsafe, but I live on the north side of town and I love it. It really does depend on the area. I was unsure about looking at my duplex because it was north, but then I realized there is a nice park right and a middle school right across the street, and there are lots of families in our neighborhood. I do think that living just north of downtown by the business loop of 70 is considered a bit sketchy, just because of the types of businesses around there, but that's south of where I live. Kind of strange... Anyway, I haven't had an issue where I live, and I have been out and about as early as 5 am and as late as midnight-1 am.

Yeah the north part of town is generally considered scary and unsafe, but I live on the north side of town and I love it. It really does depend on the area. I was unsure about looking at my duplex because it was north, but then I realized there is a nice park right and a middle school right across the street, and there are lots of families in our neighborhood. I do think that living just north of downtown by the business loop of 70 is considered a bit sketchy, just because of the types of businesses around there, but that's south of where I live. Kind of strange... Anyway, I haven't had an issue where I live, and I have been out and about as early as 5 am and as late as midnight-1 am.

I live near Stadium/I-70... which is sort of north. I have some sketchy neighbors. But honestly your car isn't gong to get trashed, and there aren't really "gangs" here. Sketchy is relative.

South side of town is going to be a bit nicer, or if you go north-north like Scb44f did. Her neighborhood is nice! The Jennie Hill houses are pretty nice, but lots of college kids live there and can be kinda annoying.

Really Columbia isn't a bad place, so you're not going to go TOO wrong. I suppose most people in my class wouldn't want to live in my apartment complex (everyone is always slightly horrified when they come over), but it's really not bad relative to what I'm used to. So. You know. I guess I can't really make those judgement calls for people...

Thanks, guys! Everything you said makes me feel a lot more confident that, if everything works out how I'd like it to, Mizzou will be perfect for me (and my husband. I guess he counts. :smuggrin: ) I don't want to get stuck going IS, but it might happen if he ends up making good money at this new job he started...I'm trying not to be too selfish, and if he loves the job I guess I'll tough it out here, but I would like going to MU way more than my IS.

Good luck, Nordi! I'd really love for us to be classmates, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. The hubby's good new job is as good a reason to stay as any. :)

Current students, are there good job opportunities for others down there? How is Columbia's economy?

What about OSU, Nordicat? Still waiting to hear from the waitlist or are you set on Mizzou?

What about OSU, Nordicat? Still waiting to hear from the waitlist or are you set on Mizzou?

If they pull me off the waitlist before April, I'll give OSU more serious thought, but for now I'm sticking with the school that wanted me more :p

Haha, that's the spirit! I'm sure you'll excel no matter what school you choose :)

Good luck, Nordi! I'd really love for us to be classmates, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. The hubby's good new job is as good a reason to stay as any. :)

Current students, are there good job opportunities for others down there? How is Columbia's economy?

There's quite a bit available within the vet school itself. You'll get emails before classes even start about work in the path lab, but then there are positions in the small animal ICU (large animal ICU opportunities are available after first year). You can also get into research with people, and a lot of people do the summer research program (VRSP) because you get paid more than the amount required to get in-state tuition, and you don't work during school.

There's quite a bit available within the vet school itself. You'll get emails before classes even start about work in the path lab, but then there are positions in the small animal ICU (large animal ICU opportunities are available after first year). You can also get into research with people, and a lot of people do the summer research program (VRSP) because you get paid more than the amount required to get in-state tuition, and you don't work during school.

Do you notice if people are generally able to handle those jobs with school? I've been mulling over different job options for next year and I'm not sure which direction to go. I feel like I'd be hired readily and cope better with a weekends-only job, but if jobs within the school work well, I'd much rather do that!

Do you notice if people are generally able to handle those jobs with school? I've been mulling over different job options for next year and I'm not sure which direction to go. I feel like I'd be hired readily and cope better with a weekends-only job, but if jobs within the school work well, I'd much rather do that!

The path lab jobs are a 2-year commitment I think, but shifts rotate between 6 or more people so you end up not working that often, and when you do, it's from like 4:30 to 6 on the weekday, and you're on call on that evening, or that weekend if you're scheduled for the weekend. The small animal ICU job is similar in that you only work every so often, but there is a larger variety of shifts including over-nights (but because of the number of people they hire, you might only work one over-night in a two-month time period). These jobs may not get you all the money you need, but they can certainly help. The research thing is very popular though just because you don't have to juggle research and classes (unless you go searching for a research job during the school year).

Last edited:
Thanks scb44f, but I was actually wondering about job opportunities for the people that follow us there. I have a boyfriend that will hopefully be joining me after a year, but I wouldn't want him to move down there only to find out it's a barren jobless wasteland. :p

Thanks scb44f, but I was actually wondering about job opportunities for the people that follow us there. I have a boyfriend that will hopefully be joining me after a year, but I wouldn't want him to move down there only to find out it's a barren jobless wasteland. :p

Ooooh, I see now :p. I don't think it's horrible; I have heard of certain businesses around here hiring, but other than that I'm not really sure. I know I hear some of my classmates who are married talk about their spouse's work, so I know it's possible to find something, but I'm not sure what fields those people work in.

I know you said that you cant work in the large animal ICU until after first year but are there any food animal related jobs first year I could get?

Thanks!

I know you said that you cant work in the large animal ICU until after first year but are there any food animal related jobs first year I could get?

Thanks!

If you don't need to wait for them to be handed to you by the vet school, those are always available. :) MO is in the midwest and a pretty big ag state-- if you're self motivated enough, you'll find something no problem.