Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ooooh, I see now :p. I don't think it's horrible; I have heard of certain businesses around here hiring, but other than that I'm not really sure. I know I hear some of my classmates who are married talk about their spouse's work, so I know it's possible to find something, but I'm not sure what fields those people work in.

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't need to wait for them to be handed to you by the vet school, those are always available. :) MO is in the midwest and a pretty big ag state-- if you're self motivated enough, you'll find something no problem.

Definitely. A local vet started off the year advertising for help on nights/weekends at his LA practice. There is stuff around!

I got my interview invite today!!! Come on, in staters! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got mine! March 2 for me, seems earlier than last year but I can't really remember! When is everyone else's? I I would love if they were finishing up earlier because then well find out earlier!!

Second times a charm...haha

Good luck, IS'ers!! :luck:

Wow that is definitely earlier than last year, yay!! Hopefully that means earlier decisions! :D

There were interviews during the equivalent week last year, so maybe not. Not to bring anyone down, because the wait does suck!

Last edited:
So... money questions.

Do any current students know if the COA figures on the CVM website are for 9, 10, or 12 months?

And, this may have already been asked, but how doable is a part-time job, especially for 1st years? I'd really like to work maybe 10 hours a week, whether it's within the school, a hospital around town, or even something completely unrelated but only on the weekends. Looking at all these giant money numbers is making me panic and I'd like to think a job would help ease my (and my parents') minds a little.

And, this may have already been asked, but how doable is a part-time job, especially for 1st years? I'd really like to work maybe 10 hours a week, whether it's within the school, a hospital around town, or even something completely unrelated but only on the weekends. Looking at all these giant money numbers is making me panic and I'd like to think a job would help ease my (and my parents') minds a little.

I wouldn't do it initially, no.

Test the waters first semester. Some people have to study NON STOP to pass. Some people study a lot to get As. Some people don't study much, get Cs, and are happy.

Do you know who you are? How sure are you? My advice is take first semester off to get adjusted-- it's a big adjustment. It's not just hype. Second semester, if you're feeling ready, ramp up to what you're ready to do.

If you want a 4.0 and want to ride your horse everyday, then I would say no, but if you have different expectations, it's possible.

And work over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wrote out the check to reserve my spot :) Not even bothering waiting for a couple schools to get back to me!

Just wrote out the check to reserve my spot :) Not even bothering waiting for a couple schools to get back to me!

Awesome! That has GOT to feel good! (or bad...bye bye, monies!)
Went to my IS yesterday for my interview there, and still not terribly impressed with their vet school. Depending on what happens with my hubby's job, if I had to choose between the two, it'd be Mizzou all the way!

Went to my IS yesterday for my interview there, and still not terribly impressed with their vet school. Depending on what happens with my hubby's job, if I had to choose between the two, it'd be Mizzou all the way!

Yep.....Illinois is my IS as well.....

Yep.....Illinois is my IS as well.....
I always forget that! :laugh: Who knows, we could have run into each other yesterday and not even realized it.

Well played, I might add. Good choice!

Hey fellow IS-ers! I hope your interviews are going swimmingly! :xf:

Mine went very well, I think. The interviewers were very nice, and didn't make me feel like I was in an interrogation at all. I'm non-traditional, so I was expecting to have a lot of questions to answer on that. But instead we had a very pleasant chat. I hope it went as well as I felt, but I'm starting to get more doubtful the more time passes. I keep thinking of ways I could have better answered questions!

My academic score was injured by the fact I have been a part-time student for five years to get my prereqs while working full time (after I graduated w/ a BA). I'm really counting on my experience and interview to help me out. It's going to be a long month!

Mine went very well, I think. The interviewers were very nice, and didn't make me feel like I was in an interrogation at all. I'm non-traditional, so I was expecting to have a lot of questions to answer on that. But instead we had a very pleasant chat. I hope it went as well as I felt, but I'm starting to get more doubtful the more time passes. I keep thinking of ways I could have better answered questions!

My academic score was injured by the fact I have been a part-time student for five years to get my prereqs while working full time (after I graduated w/ a BA). I'm really counting on my experience and interview to help me out. It's going to be a long month!

Mine is on Friday...I'm definitely starting to feel the nerves!! And I've already done this once ha. Did Kathy tell you when the last interviews were and/or when they were planning on sending out decisions?

Did Kathy tell you when the last interviews were and/or when they were planning on sending out decisions?

No... I didn't really talk to her at all, or ask. I was practicing all of my answers beforehand, and so relieved after I didn't think to! I really want to know how many IS applicants there were too (I like probabilities :D)

Best of luck to you, like I said, they were really nice, so don't be too nervous (haha, I know). :luck:

Good luck, guys! I'd have to say Mizzou was my favorite interview out of every interview for everything I've ever had in my whole life...:laugh: Very, very nice people!!!

Are all in-state interviews scheduled this week? Good luck to all! :xf:
Do you know when the decisions will be done?

Don't let Dr. Cross scare you, if you have him! :) He's actually really nice.

Are all in-state interviews scheduled this week? Good luck to all! :xf:
Do you know when the decisions will be done?

Interviews will take place for another couple of weeks probably, at least that has been the trend because they interview so many people and only do it on MWF each week. If someone has yet to interview, it is not impolite to ask when you should expect to hear back while you are there. When I interviewed they straight up told me, so I didn't even have to ask. Letters were out in late-ish March last year, but it might be different this year so take that with a grain of salt.

Don't let Dr. Cross scare you, if you have him! :) He's actually really nice.

And yes, he seems scary, but I promise he is really great to be around in a non-interview setting!

:biglove: THE BIG BROWN ENVELOPE ARRIVED! :biglove:

Acceptances went out to the Scholars today, so I have officially been accepted into the class of 2016! I am beyond excited!

:clap:

YAY!!!! Congratulations, equinerider!!! :clap::soexcited::highfive:

Interviews will take place for another couple of weeks probably, at least that has been the trend because they interview so many people and only do it on MWF each week. If someone has yet to interview, it is not impolite to ask when you should expect to hear back while you are there. When I interviewed they straight up told me, so I didn't even have to ask. Letters were out in late-ish March last year, but it might be different this year so take that with a grain of salt.
I know when I interviewed (Feb 15) Kathy said they interview MWF until March 5 then just interview one more time on March 12. She also said letters went out early last year (local mail getting them the friday before Mizzou spring break which would be Mar 23 this year) but you could expect them within the last weeks of March and first weeks of April. I know personally, im going to stalk my mailbox at 4:30 pm everyday waiting on the mail man to arrive. Really considering posting up in a lawnchair in my front yard waiting. lol

I wouldn't do it initially, no.

Test the waters first semester. Some people have to study NON STOP to pass. Some people study a lot to get As. Some people don't study much, get Cs, and are happy.

Do you know who you are? How sure are you? My advice is take first semester off to get adjusted-- it's a big adjustment. It's not just hype. Second semester, if you're feeling ready, ramp up to what you're ready to do.

If you want a 4.0 and want to ride your horse everyday, then I would say no, but if you have different expectations, it's possible.

And work over the summer.
Like others have said you just have to gauge it for yourself. I know there are oppertunities to work in the ICU at the hospital doing evenings, weekends and overnights. I work there now and you schedule yourself so you can work as much or less as you want. Also there are some research oppertunities that pay as well that arent really instense. They are easy to find if you just ask people about them.

Just got back from mine they were all super nice...dr cross was supposed to be in mine but only made it for the last 5 min haha now begins the longest 3-4 weeks ever!

Just got back from mine they were all super nice...dr cross was supposed to be in mine but only made it for the last 5 min haha now begins the longest 3-4 weeks ever!

I'll be mad if you don't get in! I want my WW buddy to be my Mizzou buddy too! :laugh:

Crossing fingers for you!!

Hey all!

Starting to look into housing... Any experience in KPO Properties? How's the neighborhood, the properties, etc. Suggestions from any upperclassmen about that specific place or anything at all would be helpful!

...the decision has been made, folks! I'm going to Mizzou!!!! :D My husband's job sucked so bad; they only paid him $150 for 2 weeks of 5 12-hr days...he quit because it cost more to get there & back in gas than he was getting paid. Laaaaame.

Anyone have any input about the following properties? We're looking for somewhere big enough for my husband, myself, and 2-3 cats (the one w/anxiety issues [aka my Prozac Kitty] might not be coming with us :(). Also, is all this business I'm hearing about tons of Brown Recluse spiders around true? :scared: I am SERIOUSLY not a bug/arachnid person...they creep me out hardcore!

Um, anyway, here's the list thus far:

Providence Hill
Providence Court
Katy Place
Jenne Hill
Copper Beech
The Reserve
Kitty Hawk Manor
Stadium Apartments
Heather Ridge
Courtyard
Rock Bridge Meadows
The Pointe @ Rock Quarry
Rock Quarry Village
Dalclifton

I've been told to avoid:
Sylvan Lane
North Providence
Paris Rd.
Clark Lane
Real Estate Mgmt, Inc (REMI)
Bearfield Apts
Grantwood Village
Hyde Park Ave. Properties
Holiday House/Ash Street
The Greens

Any and all comments would be AWESOME! :)

HMPH. I live in one of the "avoid" apartments. :p If you don't mind the K9 unit rampaging through your apartment building to catch some dude, it's no biggie.

I looked at Katy Place and it is swaaaaaanky. If I had buckets of cash, would have totally lived there.

Paris Rd close to school isn't bad (have a friend who lives around Paris x. Williams). Up north, less nice.

Jenne Hill is really nice and my friends live there, but apparently the company is going bankrupt? So management might change? I don't know, but the duplexes are nice and a steal, for sure.

The Reserve is going to be aimed at undergrads, I believe. It's also overpriced and they do those individual leases (if I'm thinking of the right place). There are a few like that around town and personally I would avoid them.

Also, is all this business I'm hearing about tons of Brown Recluse spiders around true? :scared: I am SERIOUSLY not a bug/arachnid person...they creep me out hardcore!

I really hope thats not true I am so scared of spiders. :scared::scared::scared::confused:

HMPH. I live in one of the "avoid" apartments. :p If you don't mind the K9 unit rampaging through your apartment building to catch some dude, it's no biggie.

:oops: sorry! Those were just places that either a) were mentioned by a friend's cousin who lived in CoMo for a while or b) had really crap ratings on apartmentratings.com ! I wouldn't mind the K9 unit so much (I have a family of police officers), it's the guy they're chasing I'd mind living by ;)

Thanks for the insight though, Breenie!! I really appreciate it. Pretty much any info, good OR bad, is helpful at this point. We only have 2 or 3 months to find a place we like, hope it's available, drive down to see it, etc etc. :thumbdown: Annnnd neither my husband nor myself has ever lived in an apartment. Dorms, yeah. Apartments, no. We're total noobs at this game! :laugh:

...the decision has been made, folks! I'm going to Mizzou!!!! :D My husband's job sucked so bad; they only paid him $150 for 2 weeks of 5 12-hr days...he quit because it cost more to get there & back in gas than he was getting paid. Laaaaame.

Anyone have any input about the following properties? We're looking for somewhere big enough for my husband, myself, and 2-3 cats (the one w/anxiety issues [aka my Prozac Kitty] might not be coming with us :(). Also, is all this business I'm hearing about tons of Brown Recluse spiders around true? :scared: I am SERIOUSLY not a bug/arachnid person...they creep me out hardcore!

Providence Hill
Providence Court
Katy Place
Jenne Hill
Copper Beech
The Reserve
Kitty Hawk Manor
Stadium Apartments
Heather Ridge
Courtyard
Rock Bridge Meadows
The Pointe @ Rock Quarry
Rock Quarry Village
Dalclifton

I've been told to avoid:
Sylvan Lane
North Providence
Paris Rd.
Clark Lane
Bearfield Apts
Grantwood Village
Holiday House/Ash Street
The Greens

You should check out the c/o 2016 Facebook group we have going- there's lots of housing options from older students on it (unless I suspect you're the person asking about having 3 cats, in which case you already know about it ;))

You should check out the c/o 2016 Facebook group we have going- there's lots of housing options from older students on it (unless I suspect you're the person asking about having 3 cats, in which case you already know about it ;))

:eek: No...no...that's not me...I swear! *cough* :p

Providence Hill
Providence Court
Katy Place
Jenne Hill
Copper Beech
The Reserve
Kitty Hawk Manor
Stadium Apartments
Heather Ridge
Courtyard
Rock Bridge Meadows
The Pointe @ Rock Quarry
Rock Quarry Village
Dalclifton

I've been told to avoid:
Sylvan Lane
North Providence
Paris Rd.
Clark Lane
Bearfield Apts
Grantwood Village
Holiday House/Ash Street
The Greens

My SO lived in Providence Court, and I know a classmate or two of mine who live there now. It is nice enough, but it's so close to the football stadium that it can kind of get overrun on football game days. Any other time, it was great, and rent covered things like internet and a/c so he didn't worry about tons of separate bills. There aren't garages though so if that's a must, look elsewhere. You can have pets, but I don't remember what he paid to have the cat there.

I really like Dexter Management because they have different qualities of properties to fit whatever price range you're looking at. We live in one of their mid-level duplexes now and it has a 1 car garage and a fenced in backyard. We're in the middle of a nice neighborhood right by a middle school and a park, so it's fantastic. Their different "levels" of properties are in different places around town though. There are other vet students who live in our little division, and lots of families so it feels like a home and not just a place we rent. I know I've mentioned living here before though, so I'm going to stop gushing about it, but I really do like it that much!

:oops: sorry! Those were just places that either a) were mentioned by a friend's cousin who lived in CoMo for a while or b) had really crap ratings on apartmentratings.com ! I wouldn't mind the K9 unit so much (I have a family of police officers), it's the guy they're chasing I'd mind living by ;)

Thanks for the insight though, Breenie!! I really appreciate it. Pretty much any info, good OR bad, is helpful at this point. We only have 2 or 3 months to find a place we like, hope it's available, drive down to see it, etc etc. :thumbdown: Annnnd neither my husband nor myself has ever lived in an apartment. Dorms, yeah. Apartments, no. We're total noobs at this game! :laugh:

Hahaha, I'm just teasing. :)

Scb44f's place is really nice. I've been to it! Listen to her! Don't live in the ghetto with me!

Don't worry too much about the time frame. I came down in June, found a place, put down my deposit, and moved in early August. It's not hard, I promise. Just stay organized and on top of things. :)

...the decision has been made, folks! I'm going to Mizzou!!!! :D My husband's job sucked so bad; they only paid him $150 for 2 weeks of 5 12-hr days...he quit because it cost more to get there & back in gas than he was getting paid.

You might look into Terra Housing through Mizzou. I know they offer it to graduate students, students with children and married students. And it's just down the street from the Vet school so you could walk if you wanted too.

Nobody be too excited, I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone interviewed last Monday and got a more definitive answer on when we find out other than the "towards the end of march" that I got?

Nobody be too excited, I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone interviewed last Monday and got a more definitive answer on when we find out other than the "towards the end of march" that I got?

I talked to someone yesterday who said they were working on you guys still :( a lil longer wait, I think.

I talked to someone yesterday who said they were working on you guys still :( a lil longer wait, I think.

Booo I wonder how much longer! Keep me updated breenie lol and if you find out the accepted list I totally wouldn't turn you in if you PMed it to me! :laugh:

Booo I wonder how much longer! Keep me updated breenie lol and if you find out the accepted list I totally wouldn't turn you in if you PMed it to me! :laugh:

Hahaha, I'm usually the last to hear anything, but our spring break is next week and I feel like they would want to get it done before then.

Hahaha, I'm usually the last to hear anything, but our spring break is next week and I feel like they would want to get it done before then.

Ooh that is soon!! :xf:

Word in the street (or at least what I was told by someone who asked Dr. Bernt) is that half of the letters were mailed today and half will be mailed tomorrow because the list was turned in yesterday. Aka I'm occupying my mailbox until it arrives!

Kathy told me they went out today!! Eeeek