Mistake in #1 email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

emergency22

Hi all,

So, I stayed up a little late this past week reading and re-reading my email to my #1 program. I probably read it >30 times. Still, I realized a few days after I sent it that I ended up misspelling the name of the program (a one letter omission in the name) in the email header and once in the body of the email. I sent it to the PD and my 3 interviewers. Two interviewers emailed me back and responded positively with no appearance of either having noticed or interpreting it particularly poorly. Regardless I’m freaking out about it a little. I’m fully aware there isn’t anything I can do at this point, but still wanted to hear thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes the buttons on a computer keyboard stick, leaving out a letter.

I wouldn't worry about it. People understand mistakes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

So, I stayed up a little late this past week reading and re-reading my email to my #1 program. I probably read it >30 times. Still, I realized a few days after I sent it that I ended up misspelling the name of the program (a one letter omission in the name) in the email header and once in the body of the email. I sent it to the PD and my 3 interviewers. Two interviewers emailed me back and responded positively with no appearance of either having noticed or interpreting it particularly poorly. Regardless I’m freaking out about it a little. I’m fully aware there isn’t anything I can do at this point, but still wanted to hear thoughts...
It's just a single letter typo. I wouldn't worry about it.

But I can tell you this, I do this all the time. I'm not much of a writer by nature, but for awhile, I was writing and getting stuff published on EP Monthly and Kevin MD. com, and for that kind of stuff, the proofreading needs to be perfect. I would read and reread those posts dozens of times, and when I'd have someone proofread them, they'd always find at least one or two typos. When you're the one writing, your brain autocorrects over the errors, because it knows what you mean to say. When you're reading someone else's writing, it's way, way easier to pick up errors. Also, spell check has spoiled us all, leaving us with a false sense of security that adequate proofreading is being done for us. So to this day, anything even remotely important, I'll have read by at least one other person. They almost always find something.

Regardless, I don't think a one letter, minor typo is going to make or break you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

You're toast. You not only won't get into that program, but I bet the PD will call all the local programs to notify them of this mistake as well. Consider switching to family medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
Good news everyone! Emailed the PD, owned it, got a great response to explicitly not stress over it and that they'd be thrilled to have me! In other news, I'll be leaving this forum forever. Best of luck y'all.

Good news everyone! Emailed the PD, owned it, got a great response to explicitly not stress over it and that they'd be thrilled to have me! In other news, I'll be leaving this forum forever. Best of luck y'all.

You emailed them about a typo? Forrealz?

Reactions: 6 users
In other news, I'll be leaving this forum forever. Best of luck y'all.
kPpriIZ.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Well, uh...glad we could help?

i was in a rank meeting where we talked about 'some weird applicant that kept emailing with typos.'

sorry my guy, but you're sunk.

Reactions: 6 users
i was in a rank meeting where we talked about 'some weird applicant that kept emailing with typos.'

sorry my guy, but you're sunk.

Maybe if he emails them again and apologizes for the apology, that might set everything straight. And leave a typo in that apology email too. Then email apologizing about that. Then...

Reactions: 1 users
Human: "God, why do you no longer talk to us?"
God: "This thread."

Reactions: 1 users
I’m going to post a thread asking a question of people who are experts in my intended field, and then proceed to do exactly the opposite of whatever they say.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m going to post a thread asking a question of people who are experts in my intended field, and then proceed to do exactly the opposite of whatever they say.
SDN? Is that you?

On another tack - "screw you guys! You hurt my feelings. I'm leaving and never coming back. Oh, by the way, I'll answer one question, nothing more, and bail!"

Funny. Feels like 100% of my patient interactions in the ED everyday.

Came in expecting a thread about e-mailing Program A that Program B is your number one choice but all I found was comedy gold...