Mistake on AMCAS for contact in works/activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stark12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realized I made a mistake in my AMCAS. I put down the wrong contact info for one of my activities (its obviously wrong; the person's name I put down for contact info is not the same one as I discuss in the description). Now, I know AMCAS cannot fix it so I was wondering if I should contact the schools I am applying to and let them know. I am out of the country and I would have to contact them through email, not through a mail-in letter. Is it worth it/should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad.

I realized I made a mistake in my AMCAS. I put down the wrong contact info for one of my activities (its obviously wrong; the person's name I put down for contact info is not the same one as I discuss in the description). Now, I know AMCAS cannot fix it so I was wondering if I should contact the schools I am applying to and let them know. I am out of the country and I would have to contact them through email, not through a mail-in letter. Is it worth it/should I be worried?

This is either categorically "GAME OVER" for this cycle or totally unimportant. Not sure which in this case.

This is either categorically "GAME OVER" for this cycle or totally unimportant. Not sure which in this case.

I wouldn't think its 'game over', at least I hope not, considering Mayo sent me an LOR request which means they must have seen my ECs and works/activities. I also want to mention that this activity was a few months of paid research so it something that I cannot really 'lie' about and can easily be verified through my undergraduate university.

I just want to know if emailing the schools about it would be a good thing to do at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't think its 'game over', at least I hope not, considering Mayo sent me an LOR request which means they must have seen my ECs and works/activities. I also want to mention that this activity was a few months of paid research so it something that I cannot really 'lie' about and can easily be verified through my undergraduate university.

I just want to know if emailing the schools about it would be a good thing to do at this point?

It would not. Don't bring attention to a mistake that 99/100 people will not notice or care about. Enjoy your time abroad...

It would not. Don't bring attention to a mistake that 99/100 people will not notice or care about. Enjoy your time abroad...

Yeah that's what I am leaning towards. Anyone else have any opinions?

From what I understand, unless something doesn't add up or the adcom doesn't believe you in your interview, the schools are very unlikely to verify any of your activities. Even if they did and couldn't verify, I'm sure they would give you a chance to explain/ offer another contact. I found out that the coordinator for one of my major activities is quitting in a few weeks after I submitted. Schools won't be able to contact her on the email I gave since it's a hospital email. If someone ends up asking, ill give them the new contact info. Since your activity will be easy to verify if asked, I wouldn't stress about it!

Come on people, he's asking a simple question that he actually wants an answer to.

In my opinion, almost nobody doubles checks your references unless it looks like you're living a 30 hour day or the experience is seemingly impossible to get. I wouldn't worry about it, if it is the telephone number or email then the worst that can happen is that the school assumes that there is no reply or the person just didn't pick up. I don't think it will hurt your application.

From what I understand, unless something doesn't add up or the adcom doesn't believe you in your interview, the schools are very unlikely to verify any of your activities. Even if they did and couldn't verify, I'm sure they would give you a chance to explain/ offer another contact. I found out that the coordinator for one of my major activities is quitting in a few weeks after I submitted. Schools won't be able to contact her on the email I gave since it's a hospital email. If someone ends up asking, ill give them the new contact info. Since your activity will be easy to verify if asked, I wouldn't stress about it!

Come on people, he's asking a simple question that he actually wants an answer to.

In my opinion, almost nobody doubles checks your references unless it looks like you're living a 30 hour day or the experience is seemingly impossible to get. I wouldn't worry about it, if it is the telephone number or email then the worst that can happen is that the school assumes that there is no reply or the person just didn't pick up. I don't think it will hurt your application.

Thanks for the straightforward answers. I agree with you, just wanted to make sure.

BTW, SDN does a great job of contributing to the stereotype that all doctors are huge dbags. Keep it up :thumbup: