mistakes during intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjedi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
they say if you commit mistakes during intern year then people above you will put it in record and it will be there for ever. is it true? i thought intern year is to learn things around and you are bound to make mistakes. how bad that mistake in record will hurt you??? your reply will be appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the mistake. If you have been told several times about a deficiency, and still make the same mistake, it will go in your record and can hurt you in the long run. But if you make a mistake and work to correct it then there usually isn't a mark on your "permanent" record. Work hard, listen to your faculty and upper level residents, and don't piss off the nurses and you'll be fine.

Where exactly is this "permanent record"? and who keeps track of it? where does it end up...

I've always wondered these great mysteries....

Like Mechelle says, it depends on what the mistake is.

We all make mistakes, it would be foolish to think you can do a residency without that experience.

However, some mistakes are more aggregious than others, and may result in a mark on your "permanent record":

- repeated errors without effort to learn/change behavior
- theft/falsifying records/willful endagerment of patients, etc
- drg/ETOH abuse which results in impaired function at work

I think whomever told you that simple mistakes we all make as interns (ie, forget to order or check on a lab; give Tylenol to someone NPO, etc.) goes into some database destined to ruin you forever was just yanking your chain.:rolleyes:

This sounds vaguely like something I was threatened with back in elementary school.