Misusing the PDMP to blackmail your relatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryerica22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
A certain family member of mine has apparently been using the PDMP in California (CURES) to see information regarding his Ex's and her kids prescription medications (he knows their DOB so he can find this information) to find out about controlled substances that are prescribed to them and is using this to blackmail them. His EX is a healthcare provider and also has a DEA/License. I know my family member has severe mental health issues and personality issues. He is definitely using this illegally. Is there a way that this can be brought to someone's attention? He uses the excuse that he is a concerned healthcare provider and is concerned about prescription misuse but this is blackmail and an invasion of privacy. The blackmail is that he demands extra time with the child they share (she has full custody).

Anyone have any insight on what to do about this? My family member does not have any role as a treating clinician for the Ex or her kids.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If the prescriptions are legit, how is he blackmailing them?

Regardless, I agree that is a definite abuse of his position and the system. You can consider sending a complaint to the Medical Board of California if you think that's appropriate in this case.

Reactions: 4 users
Every search in the PDMP is logged. This is a good way for your family member to get brought before the board if anyone brings it to their attention.

Reactions: 6 users
If the prescriptions are legit, how is he blackmailing them?

Regardless, I agree that is a definite abuse of his position and the system. You can consider sending a complaint to the Medical Board of California if you think that's appropriate in this case.

As a way to tell the employer and the licensing board of this individual. Which I don't think will cause any problems anyways since the prescriptions are prescribed for valid reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
I intend to report this individual to the California State Medical Board. Horrible that people are misusing the PDMP.

Reactions: 2 users
I intend to report this individual to the California State Medical Board. Horrible that people are misusing the PDMP.

I'm trying to remember where I saw this but basically someone got their license suspended in another state for this exact thing. Was using their state PDMP to look up info on family members/acquaintances for who knows what reason. The board is likely to take this pretty seriously as you're accessing (could argue stealing in these cases) highly private medical information about people for which you would have no valid defensible medical reason to do this. May at the very least get him banned from the PDMP.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm trying to remember where I saw this but basically someone got their license suspended in another state for this exact thing. Was using their state PDMP to look up info on family members/acquaintances for who knows what reason. The board is likely to take this pretty seriously as you're accessing (could argue stealing in these cases) highly private medical information about people for which you would have no valid defensible medical reason to do this. May at the very least get him banned from the PDMP.

Yes, it's disgusting and abuse of power.

His license likely will be (and should be) immediately revoked and he should never work as a physician again.

His license likely will be (and should be) immediately revoked and he should never work as a physician again.
Takes a lot to revoke a license. It would likely be limited and he would be publicly shamed but I don't think it would be revoked. Physicians are (generally) an asset to society and the medical board doesn't want to start stripping those away.

Takes a lot to revoke a license. It would likely be limited and he would be publicly shamed but I don't think it would be revoked. Physicians are (generally) an asset to society and the medical board doesn't want to start stripping those away.
Its certainly state dependent, but my state very rarely permanently revokes licenses.

I didn't say it would happen necessarily. I said it should happen.

Also, physicians aren't really treated like much an asset by state licensing boards in many places in the country.

I didn't say it would happen necessarily. I said it should happen.

Also, physicians aren't really treated like much an asset by state licensing boards in many places in the country.

Yeah, you got that right. Licensing boards are only there to protect consumers against Physicians. They don't care about Physicians at all.

That's not the job of the licensing boards.
Exactly.

What I meant is that many states (including my own) want you to practice. Obviously if you break the rules they will suspend your license but then they generally offer a clear cut way to get it back that will hopefully prevent you from losing it again.

Just a word of caution. His actions are unacceptable but once the medical board gets involved, they will scrutinize his ex as well. It’s possible everyone could lose.

Just a word of caution. His actions are unacceptable but once the medical board gets involved, they will scrutinize his ex as well. It’s possible everyone could lose.
he could just tell the ex...let them take care of it...maybe if it comes from her/him, then the ex won't come under scrutiny .

Why should the Ex come under scrutiny if she is being legitimately prescribed something?

Why should the Ex come under scrutiny if she is being legitimately prescribed something?

I obviously don’t know all the facts of the case but are you really not able to imagine a scenario? I’m not going to invent one because it feels like I’m smearing a victim. You seem to have more faith in appointed bureaucrats and their lawyers than I do.

I obviously don’t know all the facts of the case but are you really not able to imagine a scenario? I’m not going to invent one because it feels like I’m smearing a victim. You seem to have more faith in appointed bureaucrats and their lawyers than I do.

No I don't have any faith in them, but if someone is being legitimately prescribed something, they shouldn't be shamed and investigated if their ability to practice medicine is not impacted.

This is what is wrong with our field, that instead of trying to band together, we try to look for ways to undermine our colleagues and shame them for getting help.

he could just tell the ex...let them take care of it...maybe if it comes from her/him, then the ex won't come under scrutiny .

Sorry, I don't quite understand, how would the ex take care of it?

The ex could report him to the medical
Board...she certainly didn’t give him permission to look through her file

Yes, she should definitely report him.

However, I am wondering what possibly the licensing board could do to the ex if she is prescribed a controlled substance by her doctor? My relative is trying to make a case that he suspects that she is impaired to take care of patients and to take care of the kids. I just worry about this poor lady's career prospects being ruined due to this sociopath.

Yes, she should definitely report him.

However, I am wondering what possibly the licensing board could do to the ex if she is prescribed a controlled substance by her doctor? My relative is trying to make a case that he suspects that she is impaired to take care of patients and to take care of the kids. I just worry about this poor lady's career prospects being ruined due to this sociopath.

I mean unless he has proof that she IS impaired or solid evidence that she's putting patients in harms way, he doesn't have much of a case. The medical board is going to ask for actual evidence of impairment, not just the fact that this guy has a PDMP report that he never should have accessed...the medical board can access the PDMP themselves if they're concerned. She's being prescribed whatever it is legally by her doctor likely with the goal to function BETTER than she would without it...otherwise it shouldn't be prescribed.

Any type of blackmail, for any reason and despite any other circumstances, should result in termination of medical license. It's a gross abuse of power and needs to be dealt with accordingly. What happens to the woman is dependent on what she's getting and if she's doctor shopping (in which case the doctors are also culpable), but I maintain the culprit needs to be turned in.

He doesn’t have a right to look up at her medications on pmp. Hipaa violation. Did he forget that he is divorced? Also that’s why the pmp exists so that her physician can review since he/she is managing her care.

He doesn’t have a right to look up at her medications on pmp. Hipaa violation. Did he forget that he is divorced? Also that’s why the pmp exists so that her physician can review since he/she is managing her care.

The divorce has nothing to do with it. Even if they were still married, it would be a HIPAA violation.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users