Mkay, told someone to send a case to BWH..

Started by LADoc00
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I looked over another pathologist's case and told em I was worried about choriocarcinoma in a molar pregnancy. He likewise was worried so we sent it to BWH because Crum is the man. Now he gets a report back that says no choriocarcinoma with pretty much no description. When I looked at it I thought (?) I saw avillous trophoblastic proliferation which was cytologically very atypical but I confess I am GTD noob in these matters....the ?s I am asking are:
1.) From the lack of a long flowing micro comment, Im thinking that fellows and residents arent writing his reports. I would expect some anal BWH resident to write in detail about necrotic villi, enlarge cytotrophoblasts with bizarre cytology etc. maybe blabbering on for at least 2 paragraphs.
2.) Am I confused about the micro criteria for a chorio arising in a mole? Someone elighten me. Ive read all the books, what is super secret tip here?
 
I hope he didn't bill for that. I think I would either call him or send it to someone else.

Afraid I can't help you with the criteria though. I'm still stuck on what the **** a PSTT is.
 
Did you send a report with choriocarcinoma in it? or a letter metioning it?

Did you send blocks, maybe they cut into it and saw something different (like they found a villi on deepers?)

We usually try to comment on a question or differing diagnosis...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should definately try to contact him and see why he came up with that result. If no response, I would have someone else take a look at it for a third opinion. I'm sure he has a good reason for making that call, however, it is poor patient care IMHO to reply in such a frank manner on a case that has pretty drastic implications.
 
no one is going to call cancer without deep myometrial invasion.