MMI question types?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you who have done MMI type interview questions, at one given school, are they mostly scenario based or ethics based?

Let's say you have 6-8 stations at school XYZ, will some be open like "tell me about yourself" or "why do you want to be a doctor etc?".
In the age of zoom, do they still give MMI questions where you have to teach someone how to fold fitted sheets. ROFL.

Any advice on the types of questions to prepare for one given school XYZ would be really helpful.

Much appreciated....

Members don't see this ad.

There are sample MMI prompts available on the internet. No one can discuss their specific prompts due to nondisclosure agreements and fairness. Search the archives and articles for help on MMI's.

To me (expert interviewer), MMI is a FORMAT, not the questions asked. Many of the questions are simple behavioral questions (tell me when) while others are more structured hypothetical (what would you do). There are collaborative stations, which I suggest watching "Back to Back" instructuons only videos from the Bon Appétit test kitchen as an entertaining example of format though not for an interview.

Schools also have YouTube videos of sample MMI stations, including good and not so good responses.

Lots of examples curated that comes with the Becoming a Student Doctor course. You don't need to pay hundreds to prepare. You just need to be a Gold or Lifetime Donor.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much and for the great link! Trixie is the bomb!!

I am just curious what types of questions in reality are asked. Like at a certain school, will they have all different types of questions (one ethical, one tell me about yourself type, one walk me through making a car....) in one interview day? Like once I am through the ethics question, will there be 5 more? LOL.

I have been practicing with questions so I appreciate the info. I am just more curious what to expect on the day of.

Where is the Becoming Student Doctor at on the site? I will up my donation. TY!

Thanks so much and for the great link! Trixie is the bomb!!

I am just curious what types of questions in reality are asked. Like at a certain school, will they have all different types of questions (one ethical, one tell me about yourself type, one walk me through making a car....) in one interview day? Like once I am through the ethics question, will there be 5 more? LOL.

I have been practicing with questions so I appreciate the info. I am just more curious what to expect on the day of.

Where is the Becoming Student Doctor at on the site? I will up my donation. TY!
Becoming a Student Doctor - SDN . Contact @WildWing about upgrading to access.

Honestly it depends on the school. I have had some MMIs basically run traditional questions through stations. Others will have specific behavioral or hypothetical questions. Sometimes there is a collaboration station or a rest station. It really depends so it's best to prepare timing and just be yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
The questions are designed to allow you to demonstrate the traits that are desirable in an admitted student. That can include questions with an ethics component, as well as those intended to show empathy, compassion, critical thinking, cultural sensitivity, teamwork, etc. Some schools also include a "why us" station. When you are answering the questions, try to be thoughtful and also consider whether there are points of view other than your own that should be discussed.

Reactions: 1 users