MMI vs Traditional interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of MMI?? What y'all think about it? Anyone ever experience it before? It supposedly reduces interviewer bias and makes the review process more fair and quicker too...

Members don't see this ad.

What does MMI stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
DRKUBA said:
*goes to google MMI*

I came up with Motorcycle Mechanics Institute, you?

"In an MMI, applicants will complete a two-hour circuit of ten, 10-minute mini-interview stations, rotating from station to station. The MMI is similar to an objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) used by medical schools and certifling bodies except that it is not 'clinical'.

At each station, candidates will be presented with a 'scenario' or question. They will then respond to a series of questions before proceeding to the next stations."

http://files.myweb.med.ucalgary.ca/files/62/files/unprotected/MMI_FAQ.pdf

Agreed, sounds challenging. Then again, what med school interview won't be?

i also came up with the motorcycle one first, and interestingly found out about MMI from the same exact site that veshy did. I bet Ucalgary is one of very few schools that use this.

Veshy said:
"In an MMI, applicants will complete a two-hour circuit of ten, 10-minute mini-interview stations, rotating from station to station. The MMI is similar to an objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) used by medical schools and certifling bodies except that it is not 'clinical'.

At each station, candidates will be presented with a 'scenario' or question. They will then respond to a series of questions before proceeding to the next stations."

http://files.myweb.med.ucalgary.ca/files/62/files/unprotected/MMI_FAQ.pdf

Agreed, sounds challenging. Then again, what med school interview won't be?

Sounds like "Speed Dating" for med school applicants. All you need are little score cards and the drunk girl in the corner. :laugh:

runningmom said:
Sounds like "Speed Dating" for med school applicants. All you need are little score cards and the drunk girl in the corner. :laugh:
No doubt. Interview by consensus. What a horrible thought.

"Please try to display intelligence, breadth, humor and depth. Oh, you have ten minutes. Actually, eight after I read the instructions and scenario...."

notdeadyet said:

"Please try to display intelligence, breadth, humor and depth. Oh, you have ten minutes. Actually, eight after I read the instructions and scenario...."

LOL. :laugh:

notdeadyet said:

*stopwatch starts

Dr. P.: Well, I've always wanted to be a doctor because...

Adcom: TIME'S UP...Next station

Dr.P.: I guess it's the soda business for me.
-Dr. P.

BILAL said:
which skools actually do this?

lol seriously, i've never heard of this before.
i hope none of the schools i am applying to implements this format.

Veshy said:
"In an MMI, applicants will complete a two-hour circuit of ten, 10-minute mini-interview stations, rotating from station to station.

I think it's an interesting idea.
Ten interviews at 10 minutes a piece
or two interviews at 50 minutes apiece
whatev
I talk to you, I talk to him, it's all gravy.