mnemonic for receptors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any one got any good mnemonics for remembering receptor types...ie which factors bind to which types of receptors? anything will help!

Members don't see this ad.

kiss quick (q,i,s,s q,i,q)

alpha1 -- Gq
alpha2 -- Gi
beta1 -- Gs
beta2 -- Gs

M1 -- Gq
M2 -- Gi
M3 -- Gq

somebody correct me if this is wrong (if it is then I can go ahead and chalk up another wrong question on Step 1 that I just took)

blue33 said:
any one got any good mnemonics for remembering receptor types...ie which factors bind to which types of receptors? anything will help!
i thought the first aid one was good

Gq = HAVe 1 M&M = H1, A1, V1, M1, M3
Gi = MAD 2's = M1 A2 D2
Gs = anything else

Memorize the first two (Write it down on your little eraseable sheet they give you) and you're golden

thanks guys...but i was hoping for somthng that would help with specific factors. ie. "EGF binds an enzyme linked receptor. GH binds to just rec with intrinsic activity, etc." i like the chart in FA also.

thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
blue33 said:
thanks guys...but i was hoping for somthng that would help with specific factors. ie. "EGF binds an enzyme linked receptor. GH binds to just rec with intrinsic activity, etc." i like the chart in FA also.

thank you.

There are so many. I try to generalize and it works out 90% of the time

All steriods = intracellular = dna binding doman, etc etc
Anything with growth factor in it (PDGF) = RECEPTOR tyrosine kinase
Everything else (esp cytokines/GH) = tyrosin kinase associated (janus kinase)
G proteins = ones listed above
Ion channels = not many. inhibitory: just GABAb/glycine Excitatory: NMDA/KAINATE/AMPA glumatae, 5HT3, nicotinic AchR