Step II mnemonics for anemia (up/down for fe, tibc, ferritin, etc)

Started by bulldog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bulldog

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any good reasoning/mnemonics behind the up/down arrows of various anemias in terms of iron, ferritin, tibc, etc? i keep forgetting what goes up/down.
 
If I remember correctly, I remembered it like this(I think per Goljian)

transferrin = TIBC
ferritin = opposite TIBC/transferrin

You check iron by checking ferritin, thus :
iron(ferritin) up...TIBC down
iron(ferritin) down, TIBC up
transferrin up, TIBC up
and so on

I could be completely wrong on this, but I think this is correct most of the time.