You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step I mnemonics for SSRI or TCA's?
Started by westernmed007
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
All TCAs have tri, ipr, or oxepin in them.
I don't have a good one for SSRIs, but could use one if someone comes up with one. All I have is -lopram -oxetine and SeRtralIne
The big difference between serotonin syndrome and neuroleptic malignant syndrome is that neuroleptic malignant syndrome causes muscle rigidity while serotonin syndrome does not.
Tyramine induce hypertension is just that, it doesn't include any of the other stuff as far as i know.
I don't have a good one for SSRIs, but could use one if someone comes up with one. All I have is -lopram -oxetine and SeRtralIne
The big difference between serotonin syndrome and neuroleptic malignant syndrome is that neuroleptic malignant syndrome causes muscle rigidity while serotonin syndrome does not.
Tyramine induce hypertension is just that, it doesn't include any of the other stuff as far as i know.
The big difference between serotonin syndrome and neuroleptic malignant syndrome is that neuroleptic malignant syndrome causes muscle rigidity while serotonin syndrome does not.
woa there buddy. seritonin syndrome causes a hypertonicity that isn't that easily distinguished from muscle rigidity. the best way to differntiate that two is by history and physical- SS develops within 24hrs, NMS over days to weeks; SS is hyperreactive so you get tremor, clonus, hyperreflexia while in NMS you get ridigity and bradyreflexia; obv you know what causes each
There's never going to be a question on your test that asks what the diff btw NMS and SS is. They're always going to present it in case form in which it'll be easier to figure out.
Thanks BLZ, you and I have talked before under a different screen name, you are the man dude I hope I can emulate you on test day.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try this:
-SSRIs: a pair of oxes got the flu and sat on a sertra matress
(paroxetine) (fluoxetine) (citalopram) (sertraline)
-TCAs: Doc Amit, the desi, took a north trip
(doxepin) (amitriptyline) (desipramine) (nortriptyline)
You'll have to memorize the two other ones (imipramine & clomipramine)
-MAOs: Tranys have a funnel in their pants
(tranylcypromine) (phenelzine)
I know this is crude but it helped me get those drugs down
-SSRIs: a pair of oxes got the flu and sat on a sertra matress
(paroxetine) (fluoxetine) (citalopram) (sertraline)
-TCAs: Doc Amit, the desi, took a north trip
(doxepin) (amitriptyline) (desipramine) (nortriptyline)
You'll have to memorize the two other ones (imipramine & clomipramine)
-MAOs: Tranys have a funnel in their pants
(tranylcypromine) (phenelzine)
I know this is crude but it helped me get those drugs down
I went with you need to funnel the tranny fluid so it doesn't spill.Try this:
-SSRIs: a pair of oxes got the flu and sat on a sertra matress
(paroxetine) (fluoxetine) (citalopram) (sertraline)
-TCAs: Doc Amit, the desi, took a north trip
(doxepin) (amitriptyline) (desipramine) (nortriptyline)
You'll have to memorize the two other ones (imipramine & clomipramine)
-MAOs: Tranys have a funnel in their pants
(tranylcypromine) (phenelzine)
I know this is crude but it helped me get those drugs down

"Phenel, Sell the Trany, you Moclo!"
Phenelzine, Selegiline, Tranylcypromine, Moclobemide
dumb, but works for me. 😀
Phenelzine, Selegiline, Tranylcypromine, Moclobemide
dumb, but works for me. 😀
Moclobemide? Sign, another drug I haven't heard of.![]()
Its not available in the US. I hadn't heard of it either.
Good to know. 🙂Its not available in the US. I hadn't heard of it either.
Hey, you could be my neighbor. I'm one of those osteo people in the city. I don't see how you guys ever study or go to class/labs with D'Bronx pizza across the street... I'm hooked!
Very cool. I really liked KCUMB. Very nice campus, very happy students (or so they seemed). We would be in the same class if I had chosen to attend there.Good to know. 🙂
Hey, you could be my neighbor. I'm one of those osteo people in the city. I don't see how you guys ever study or go to class/labs with D'Bronx pizza across the street... I'm hooked!
I honestly have never been to D'Bronx, although its given to us quite often for lunch meetings.
"Phenel, Sell the Trany, you Moclo!"
Phenelzine, Selegiline, Tranylcypromine, Moclobemide
dumb, but works for me. 😀
Selegiline is not a TCA, is it?
We're actually all utterly miserable, but they have hidden cameras installed all over campus and if we are caught not putting on the happy show for visitors we are beaten in the dungeon below the anatomy lab. 
Catered D'Bronx? I'm insanely jealous... we keep getting those generic deli sandwiches that taste same no matter where they come from.

Catered D'Bronx? I'm insanely jealous... we keep getting those generic deli sandwiches that taste same no matter where they come from.
No, it's a MAOI like the others grouped with it. Selegiline isn't usually lumped in like that though since it is relatively specific for MAO type B; it has traditionally been used for Parkinson's and not depression or psychoses since the high doses needed for effective treatment of depression made hypertensive crises likely. A new transdermal dosing system is available now however that is able to keep blood levels high enough for effective treatment of refractory depression with reduced hypertensive risk.Selegiline is not a TCA, is it?
No, it's a MAOI like the others grouped with it. Selegiline isn't usually lumped in like that though since it is relatively specific for MAO type B; it has traditionally been used for Parkinson's and not depression or psychoses since the high doses needed for effective treatment of depression made hypertensive crises likely. A new transdermal dosing system is available now however that is able to keep blood levels high enough for effective treatment of refractory depression with reduced hypertensive risk.
Ah, brain fart here

I knew it was used for Parkinson's and that inhibited MAO but I forgot it was an MAO inhibitor....UWorld is eating my brain

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad