Mobilizing the colon

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by sponch, Dec 25, 2008.

1. sponch

sponch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone out there with tips for getting into the right plane when mobilizing the left and right colons? I've heard a range of unhelpful tips like "if you see the kidney or ureter, you're too deep" and "it's just a matter of feel".

2. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My favorite three (four) words on Colorectal service were "white line of Toldt".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Celiac Plexus

Celiac Plexus Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Those pieces of advice are certainly valid.

Re-operative, or post-radiation cases are more difficult because the plane separating the colon mesentery and the retroperitoneal structures will be harder to identify.

In open cases, I usually do a lateral to medial approach. I have found that taking down the line of toldt and then performing a meticulous dissection while staying very close to the colon will put you in a nice fatty plane posteriorly that can be bluntly extended medially to the root of the mesentery. Always identify and protect the ureters.

If you are doing the case laparoscopically, I prefer a medial to lateral approach. There are many excellent videos showing this operation on Websurg.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ESU_MD

ESU_MD Old School
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    good exposure always helps.

concentrate on sharp dissection rather than bluntly "creating" planes

watch lap colons: the magnification helps and will help you recognize the planes in open surgery

5. tussy

tussy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    First of all - don't "feel the planes" - you should really see the planes and dissect sharply under direct vision. Get used to every approach as each has it's place and when you have trouble it's good to have a backup plan. eg - in the R. colon you can go 1. lateral to medial (most common approach during straightforward open cases), 2. medial to lateral (seen more often in laparoscopic but useful for a locally advanced tumour with invasion laterally or posterior) 3. inferior (my personal favorite approach) - you lift up the cecum and TI and enter the plane posteriorly and extend it up until the duodenum is identified) and finally 4. superiorly you can start at the flexure, get the flexure mobilized and up off the duodenum and work down.

The best advice is good traction and counter traction. If the tissue isn't under traction then you won't see the plane. It's really the assistant that does the case and not the one doing the cutting (but don't tell my residents that because they think they're doing the case - hehehe).

6. sponch

sponch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks y'all for the great advice. been watching the videos on websurg. will try to keep it in mind the next colon i do.