kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
1,293
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
After seeing several threads dealing with mock interviews, I was wondering how many people might be interested in setting up mock interviews through Skype. For those non-geeks out there, Skype is a free, Internet-based communications system allowing both voice communication and video conferencing via webcams. It would be possible to do both one-on-one interviews as well as setting up groups of people that could trade off interviewing while the others provide feedback. I think such a system would be very helpful to many people who don't have access to quality mock interviewers. The interviews would be easy to conduct since we can take questions from the SDN feedback pages, and then provide feedback afterwards (preferably in written form). Group interviews would provide more opinions, and also give people a chance to pick up tips by seeing others in action. What do you guys think...
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Interesting idea. If people have macbooks, there are cameras on them at the top that I think can be used for video conferencing.
 

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
1,139
13
Status
I'm down, but why don't we just use MSN Messenger or something?
 
About the Ads
OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
1,293
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pkboi24 said:
I'm down, but why don't we just use MSN Messenger or something?
Well first of all, not everyone uses MSN. Secondly, I believe Skype to be the highest quality audio/video conferencing solution. In fact, many podcasts use Skype to connect podcasters from across the country; audio fidelity is superb. While I've not used MSN in this capacity, I have tried AIM and Google Talk, neither of which produce the same quality. Plus, MSN is a Microsoft product lol ;). Still, it doesn't matter; if some people want to use MSN than that will work just as well (assuming it still has conferencing capability). This thread can still be used to get a list of people together.

What's more important is this: please indicate whether you're willing to interview, be interviewed, or both. Some people may be willing to help out without actually needing to mock interview, while others may not feel comfortable conducting interviews. Thanks.
 
OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
1,293
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Bump; is anyone else out there interested?
 

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
726
1
35
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face during a fake interview.

But as an aside, Skype is awesome.
 
OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
1,293
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looque said:
I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face during a fake interview.

But as an aside, Skype is awesome.
I think that's always going to be the case, but it is what you make of it. Trying to come up with answers on the fly when someone is actually waiting for a response is much different than going over a list of questions by yourself and "thinking" of what you might say.
 

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
1,756
16
Mizzou Med
Status
Skype rules. The other night my wife asked if we could do a Skype 3-way with my brother and my mom. :confused: Then she turned red and said she meant conference call. LOL. It was hilarious. I mean, Skype 3-way sounds sort of -- kinky.
 

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
726
1
35
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
kypdurron5 said:
I think that's always going to be the case, but it is what you make of it. Trying to come up with answers on the fly when someone is actually waiting for a response is much different than going over a list of questions by yourself and "thinking" of what you might say.
I just mean that I couldn't take it seriously. I can't motivate myself for a trial run; it has to be the real thing.
 

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
755
0
Status
Medical Student
count me in too. I would do skype.
 

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
3,015
11
34
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
Looque said:
I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face during a fake interview.

But as an aside, Skype is awesome.

i agree on both points
 
About the Ads

chewsnuffles

is a series of tubes
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
456
1
Seattle, WA
Status
Pre-Medical
Definately down, but wait till I get interviews (big IF) K?
Then I'm going all out, just like with every other part of my medical school application process so far (atleast since january, before that I drank too much to care...)Ill totally mock interview everyone via skype though, and ask really awkward questions JUST to make sure your on your toes all the time. And if you screw up I'll jump on you like a wild cheetah
 
OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
1,293
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
chewsnuffles said:
Definately down, but wait till I get interviews (big IF) K?
Then I'm going all out, just like with every other part of my medical school application process so far (atleast since january, before that I drank too much to care...)Ill totally mock interview everyone via skype though, and ask really awkward questions JUST to make sure your on your toes all the time. And if you screw up I'll jump on you like a wild cheetah
I agree. I'm not ready to do interviews right now either; we're still very early in the application process. This thread will remain here though, and we'll also have a list of people when we're ready.
 

dittozip

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
176
1
Status
Pre-Medical
i think the intentions of this thread are good, but all it will take is one nipple slip and SDN will be on CNN adn then we will lose our precious site.
 
OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
1,293
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dittozip said:
i think the intentions of this thread are good, but all it will take is one nipple slip and SDN will be on CNN adn then we will lose our precious site.
First, you're insane. Secondly, these mock interviews are not being conducted through SDN. Third, you're insane.
 

Wildstang

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
109
0
Status
Pre-Medical
im in - getting interviewed would be fun. Skype Rules.
 

chula505

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
82
0
36
Albuquerque, NM
Status
Pre-Medical
i'm in too. that's a great idea. I used skype all the time to keep in touch with my bf while he was in new zealand
 

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,625
3
34
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do we want to maybe set up a weekly meeting time? (weekends would be best for me)

We could hopefully get 5-10 people on at a time and have a ton of questions arranged for the interviewers and do 5 or so minute interviews with each person who wants to participate.
 

chewsnuffles

is a series of tubes
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
456
1
Seattle, WA
Status
Pre-Medical
DoctorPardi said:
Do we want to maybe set up a weekly meeting time? (weekends would be best for me)

We could hopefully get 5-10 people on at a time and have a ton of questions arranged for the interviewers and do 5 or so minute interviews with each person who wants to participate.
Good one, could we get a list together of peope who are down to do this, and have a confrence call or something every so often where we go over some "hot topics", of course I still reserve the right to try to baffle anyone I interview into breaking down and crying, but look at it this way, if you pass me, you'll for sure be a shoe in for the real medical school interview...
 

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
884
3
East Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is the best SDN idea yet!

Please sign below if you would like to participate in a Skype interview with video:

Interviewee: Doctornick83

Interviewer: Doctornick83

How much personal information do you think that the interviewee should share with the interviewer before they get together?
 
About the Ads

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
1,756
16
Mizzou Med
Status
DoctorNick83 said:
This is the best SDN idea yet!

Please sign below if you would like to participate in a Skype interview with video:

Interviewee: Doctornick83

Interviewer: Doctornick83

How much personal information do you think that the interviewee should share with the interviewer before they get together?
Mother's maiden name and bank account numbers to begin with...

Share as much as you feel comfortable with. Being thrice the victim of identity theft, you can probably imagine how much I would feel like sharing.
 

brian30bulldog

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
31
0
Status
gostudy said:
Nerds!!!!!!!
Exactly what I was thinkin. Just get friends/so to ask you some questions the night before the interview to get thoughts going. In the meantime drink some beer!
 

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
884
3
East Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
brian30bulldog said:
Exactly what I was thinkin. Just get friends/so to ask you some questions the night before the interview to get thoughts going. In the meantime drink some beer!
No way, I need all the help I could get. Last time I interviewed for med school, my interviewer sounded like he wanted to hit me by the end.
 

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
884
3
East Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Please sign below if you would like to participate in a Skype interview with video:

Interviewee: Doctornick83

Interviewer: Doctornick83
 

eikenhein

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
1,830
716
Status
Attending Physician
i am definitely interested
 
OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
1,293
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DoctorNick83 said:
How much personal information do you think that the interviewee should share with the interviewer before they get together?
Good question. I don't see a big security problem here, even during the interview. We're going to have to talk about our lives/life experiences, but it doesn't mean we'll even have to give last names, addresses, etc. As with any Internet communication, use a certain amount of common sense.

So...does anyone want to take the lead on this? I'm just the techno geek with the tools and ideas. Perhaps we could start a contact list so each of us can create a "group" for SDN interview contacts in AIM/MSN/Skype? I think doing this would be better than trying to track everyone on SDN, plus it's more difficult to see if/when people are online....
So for instance:

SDN Name: Skype Contact/AIM Contact/MSN Contact PLUS (interviewee/interviewer/both)

Kypdurron5: Same/Same/NA (both)
DoctorPardi: Same/Same/NA (both)

Ok on the format?
 

nekrogg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
964
0
Status
im down too
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,895
Status
Attending Physician
ed2brute said:
I mean, Skype 3-way sounds sort of -- kinky.
I have a feeling these mock interviews you guys are doing are going to go a lot like the legendary bloodninja "I put on my robe and wizard's hat" chats. :laugh:
 

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
1,756
16
Mizzou Med
Status
Law2Doc said:
I have a feeling these mock interviews you guys are doing are going to go a lot like the legendary bloodninja "I put on my robe wizards hat" chats. :laugh:
Milk literally spewed out of my nose and onto my computer after reading this. Oh how it burns.
 
OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
1,293
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Law2Doc said:
I have a feeling these mock interviews you guys are doing are going to go a lot like the legendary bloodninja "I put on my robe wizards hat" chats. :laugh:
How ironic is it that you call us geeks and yet use a reference so geeky that not even I understand its meaning?
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,895
Status
Attending Physician
kypdurron5 said:
How ironic is it that you call us geeks and yet use a reference so geeky that not even I understand its meaning?
When in this thread did I call you geeks? Do a google search and you will find the blood ninja chat -- it has cult classic status.
 

megaman1x

Member
10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
98
0
Status
Medical Student
I actually like conducting interviews. I had to conduct them for a screening process for this one clinical experience program. Also I had a few interviews for med school last year. Got accepted this year. I wouldn't mind interviewing people over skype. I don't actually have skype...lol but I do have a webcam (not even really needed) and I have a mic (mic is only what you really need, right?).

I do have MSN. Actually I also have unlimited long distance calling in Canada and the US with my home phone. Then again....lol who really wants to be giving out phone numbers over the net.

PM me if you guys have msn or something and want me to conduct an interview. I'd have no problem doing so.
 
About the Ads