moffit splitting ways with USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRISH22

the dude
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
looks like Moffit is going its separate way from USF after all. They just inked a deal with UF--which has traditionally been the bigger research institution in the state--to consolidate cancer services. Trouble is Moffit is physically located in Tampa on USFs campus. This should be interesting...

http://www.news.health.ufl.edu/story.aspx?ID=5007

Members don't see this ad.

The deal is purely research-based....for now. There is supposedly is no impact on the rad onc residency program, which is still USF affiliated. Being a USF student, let me tell you that USF screwed the pooch on this one.

USF radiation oncology remains a USF program. UF will have nothing to do with it. My understanding is that Moffitt has a contract with USF for 10 years, so they arent going anywhere for now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them leaving in the future though.

Frankly, USF is the winner in this divorce. USF state professor money lines were used to maintain moffitt for a long time. Want a new researcher? Fine toss him an associate professor position from USF till he starts making money for moffitt. USF occasionally got money from Moffitt but come on, for the amount they got they could have gotten a lot more considering the center has two buildings and some parking lots on campus right next to the medical school. The rest of the medical school will just stop refering their patients to moffitt for cancer. Moffitt just became like a private group in a university, granted UF affiliated, but still a private group.

I don't really blame Moffitt for this either. USF has notoriously been terrible at handling finances. Plenty of corruption and money sinkholes.