Molecular Biology Techniques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc134

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, how well should I know molecular bio techniques (Western blotting, etc.)? I realize there is a dedicated section at the end of the TPRH Bio book and there are scattered practice questions on the techniques. However, the AAMC BS outline does not have them listed....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've encountered passages describing mol. Bio techniques on my exam that I would have done much better on if I had understood the procedures beforehand. Technically all the information is given but it can take a lot of time deciphering a passage about an experiment t you've never read about

There is a recombinant DNA technique section on the outline. Doesn't involve western blots since that's protein, but it does say hybridization which Southern blotting for DNA would fall into.

Also noticed that the common ion effect says "common-ion effect, its use in laboratory separations". I guess by adding something with a similar ion, the other ion can be released and then separated or something like that. That's in the gen chem outline though.

They may talk about mol bio techniques, but you won't need to be familiar with them. It will be more important to understand the main idea of the passage. In fact, being familiar with the technique and failing to read could be a disadvantage.

For example, a HYPOTHETICAL passage could be about ELISA, and if you are familiar with ELISA and forget to read carefully, you may miss that the passage is about the less common competitive ELISA and not the indirect ELISA you learned about in immunology. Hypothetically.

I have seen bio technique stuff on two exams before. Any passage with such info will probably explain it for you but it will definitely give you a foot in the door to understand it in case it shows up.