Molecular genetics - recombinant DNA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good resources/videos to get a good understanding of this? I'm finding Cliff's (pages 119-120) to be a little confusing and I can't find much about it on Youtube.

Members don't see this ad.

I've actually been watching a ton of his videos but unfortunately can't find one about recombinant DNA technology on his Youtube channel or the site you provided. :grumpy:

So I just finished reading that section yesterday... so I will try to break it down for you.

So first off, recombinant DNA just means that you have some DNA from multiple sources, it doesn't matter what those sources were (can be natural ex: viral transduction, or be man-made).

Next cliffs talks about restriction enzymes, which are enzymes used to cut DNA. These restriction enzymes cut at SPECIFIC points only! Most often they cut across both strands of the double helix and which results in sticky ends. All this means is that there are unpaired nucleotides extending from the sequence. The sticky ends are then able to base pair with the sticky end of another molecule.

The sticky ends could base pair with the other strand that was cut OR a foreign DNA segment could be introduced in. The foreign segment would be able to base pair with the complementary sticky end.

Here is a long and in-depth lecture that covers everything:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/biology/.../video-lectures/lecture-15-recombinant-dna-1/

Feel free to PM me or reply if you want further clarification.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)