Mom's and the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RachelD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you other mom's going to deal with questions about motherhood and med school in your interview. I know they are not supposed to ask about children but I think there is a good chance it will come up. I know that at least one of my LOR's states that I am a parent. I have three young children (3, 4 and 5). I have lots of family support and a very hands on husband to help with our kids. I know it will make med school more difficult for me because it will mean spending less time with my kids. Should I be honest with the interviewers about it or try to minimize it as much as possible?

Members don't see this ad.

RachelD said:
How are you other mom's going to deal with questions about motherhood and med school in your interview. I know they are not supposed to ask about children but I think there is a good chance it will come up. I know that at least one of my LOR's states that I am a parent. I have three young children (3, 4 and 5). I have lots of family support and a very hands on husband to help with our kids. I know it will make med school more difficult for me because it will mean spending less time with my kids. Should I be honest with the interviewers about it or try to minimize it as much as possible?

I would be honest and realistic. From what I understand, most schools want to know that you comprehend that there will be challenges ahead, but are ready to face these challenges maturely.

I once went to a meeting of adcom deans, which was for school administrators, not students. I felt I got a lot of inside dirt from this conference! One thing that made a huge impression was how the deans read the answers to those dreaded essays about failure (tell us about a time you failed, etc etc). The adcoms weren't looking for how you succeeded in triumphing over some awful obstacle, but rather how you viewed adversity, whether you had a support system in place. Basically, were you ready to fail...

So, I'd guess that adcoms won't buy that you are superwoman and can easily handle everything without batting and eye. And minimizing your the impact of being a mom may look like you haven't considered it. Personally, I would let them know that YOU know its going to be hard, but have a great support network in place. You definitely expressed that sentiment in your post, so I have no doubt you can do it in an interview!

Good luck!

I was asked how I'd deal with being a med student and mom. I told them that there would be times that I'd need to be a med student first and other times that I'd need to be a mom first, but that I could do it. I also explained the family support that I have. My interviewers didn't have a problem with my answer...but I figured that I wouldn't want to be at a school that did.

That said, the mom & med school thing is tough, and I only have 1 kid. There were times during the first year that I went a few days without seeing my kiddo awake. I have great support from my husband and parents, too, but there are times that I feel like I'm an inadequate med student AND mother. Just know that you won't be able to keep up academically with all of your young single classmates and that your family will have to make significant adjustments. BUT...it can be done and it isn't totally miserable.

Members don't see this ad :)
RachelD said:

Hi there,
You have done well in your undergrad and with MCAT with children so you shouldn't have any problems with children and medical school. Your family support will continue to serve you well and that's all that the medical schools need to know. Questioning a female applicant about children and childcare borders on the illegal so give as little information as possible. Good medical schools will not even touch this subject.

You may find that you are actually spending more time around your kids (Studying at home) as opposed to less time. Third-year will take you on some overnights but so will internship and your kids will be fine as long as you call home. You can make it a special thing (mommie report or sign-out) where they can update you on what's going on. You will be surprised how well kids adjust to your new schedule as long as the reassurances are always there. Cell phones are wonderful especially those with vibrate cycle.

We started a group at my medical school for students with families where we did things like share childcare while studying and got extra insurance riders for families. We had great faculty advisor who would find things in the neighborhood for families. Since we had lots of students with families (husbands, wives, children and parents) we tended to band as a group and support those students who gave birth during school (we got notes and did study sessions at home) or who missed time because of an ailing child. Look for this kind of a group at your medical school.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. It is much appreciated!

I was asked in my interview(s). I said that I prioritize day by day. Some days, I have to be a mom first, some days I have to be a student first (like Dr. Mom said) I said I'd had experience doing it; that my family is well adjusted to my schedule, and that they are supportive(which is kind of lie where my mom is concerned, but she does provide free babaysitting, so that counts)