Monash medical school question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ash366

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I got accepted at Monash medical school, course "bachelor of medical science and doctor of medicine." My question is, will I be able to be a practicing physician when I come back to America?

Also, international students are not guaranteed internship, so if we dont get internship, then what will happen? How long will we have to wait to re apply for internship?

Also, what is the best campus to live at Gippsland? I was thinking of North Residence via Feduni.

Thank you for your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

You can come back to the States for residency, if you manage to score well on the USMLE, land an elective in the US for recommendation letters before final year, and apply to non-competitive specialties.
If you decide to stay in Australia, you can apply for state internships, or CMI internships. If you fail to get either, you can't stay in Australia, and will have to seek an internship elsewhere, e.g. New Zealand / Singapore / some other English-speaking country. If you can't get an internship anywhere at all you can't practice medicine.

Can you explain what you mean by landing an elective for rec letters? Should i take usmle step one after my first year in aus? Since the way it is in aus is course work is one year. Then 3 years is at the hospital. After my first year should i come back and take usmle? If so when is the proper time to take it etc. Thank you.

Can you explain what you mean by landing an elective for rec letters? Should i take usmle step one after my first year in aus? Since the way it is in aus is course work is one year. Then 3 years is at the hospital. After my first year should i come back and take usmle? If so when is the proper time to take it etc. Thank you.

Generally people take USMLE step 1 after their second year before starting third year. Your school should be able to provide more information and advice based on what prior students have done as I'm sure you aren't the first person looking to sit the USMLE. You probably should have done your homework and gotten these questions answered by the school before you applied and got accepted.

Electives are generally done in 4th year at a hospital. It helps for residency if you have a rec letter from a doctor in the country you wish to practice in, i.e. the U.S. Thus, doing an elective there would be helpful.