Money advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loudy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe the folks who are close to gradutaing dental school could help me out with this one cause I know it's on their minds too! I am pre-dent senior and will be applying this June. I don't want to rule out private schools but I already have some undergrad debt and I am positively freakin out about the idea of it being neck high when I get out of school. :( I know that there are a ton of ways to take care of this, but I don't know what they are and I'd like to start thinking about them now.
-Could you anyone tell me some of the more popular and successfull routes that people take to get pay off their debts as safely as possible?
-Does everyone work with another dentist until they can look for their own practice? Does that work well or are there better options? I have heard plenty of times that there are a bunch of greedy dentists hungry for fresh grads to bend over and take advantage of.

Basically, I am just looking for reasurance that everything will be cool if I went to school like UoP or USC or out of state (CA). :confused:
Thanks for any help, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Loudy, I just paid off my student debt last year. I graduated in 1989 did a GPR and bought a practice my loan repayment was spread out over ten years and wasn't too much of a burden. Sure some in the profession may try to take advantage of you but for the most part you should be able to reach a pact that is win win for both parties. The only concern I would have for you is the time between graduating this spring and starting dental school Fall 2003 if I understand your post.Your undergrad loans may start to be due for a few months before going to dental school and jobs that only last a year or so may not pay that well?