Money after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much money do expect to make after graduation from Pharmacy school?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr.Biassi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought about posting a pool so we can have an idea about what people think they will make after graduation. Please vote for the amount you expect to make

Members don't see this ad.

About $30K...I'll be doing a residency.

Personally I don't care since I am not in it for the money. My friend graduated in May and he started at 105K a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a website with statistics on how much pharmacists make right out of pharm school? I've been looking for something with these kind of statistics but have yet to find one..

it varies by state and location. Arizona and Missouri are the bigger markets at the moment. It depends on the specific part of pharmacy too that you choose. For example retail will pay more than the government but you don't get nearly the amount of perks etc.

Also if you look the government website on jobs and what their average pay is etc will let you know. I can't remember the address though.

Is there a website with statistics on how much pharmacists make right out of pharm school? I've been looking for something with these kind of statistics but have yet to find one..

go to the american association of college of pharmacy website. They have a survey there that talk about it.
I hate people lying to themselves that at some point they are not going into pharmacy because of they money. They will get paid anyway. For my part pharmacy is a way to clinical research but I like the money too!!! Let be truthful to ourselves

go to the american association of college of pharmacy website. They have a survey there that talk about it.
I hate people lying to themselves that at some point they are not going into pharmacy because of they money. They will get paid anyway. For my part pharmacy is a way to clinical research but I like the money too!!! Let be truthful to ourselves

Going into something for money is very different then getting paid for doing work.
He may be going into pharmacy because he likes it, and the cash is just icing on the cake. This does not mean hes going into it for the money.

I want to work for the VA so I'm thinking it'll be around $70K but I'm not sure. I like their system (pharmacist prescribing rights) and their benefits. Yeah sure I could make $100K+ working retail but I'm not interested in the money, I'm interested in doing something that I enjoy. I'm fortunate that I enjoy pharmacy and I can make a good living at it.

I figure in 4 years salaries will have increased across the board, and I wouldn't expect most retail positions to be under 100K in bigger cities (or really crappy ones)

money certainly isn't everything, but it sure helps as I study these 300+ slides for a test in the morning

I know that most larger chains view a graduate the same as me, and I've been doing this for a long long time. A friend of mine graduated in 2005 and makes a little more than me. Pharmacy is really an oddity with regard to experience, you don't work your way up you get to start at the top. That's alright with me though, pharmacy has been good to me. You'd laugh at what I made my 1st year out, but you'd also be amazed at how cheap my education was back then. Supply and demand for pharmacists has changed a lot since 78. Also I wouldn't say I went into it "just" for the money, but it was a factor. :)

I hate people lying to themselves that at some point they are not going into pharmacy because of they money.

What I hate is the repetitive posts about money. We ALL know pharms are well compensated so leave it at that. Do you really need the reassurance of financial gain to get you through this long journey?

BTW, some of us were interested in pharmacy long before this trendy behavior.

yep. I've decided to be a pharmacist since I was in my home country about 8 years ago, and FYI a pharmacist there can't be rich and can't make lots of money unlike a pharmacist in the US who can afford to buy a house in less than 10 years.
Seriously, when I moved to the US, I was surprised that a pharmacist here gets paid that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I hate is the repetitive posts about money. We ALL know pharms are well compensated so leave it at that. Do you really need the reassurance of financial gain to get you through this long journey?

I think students just want to know that it will all be worth it in the end.....not everybody knows this, and there is NOTHING wrong with asking. Dont read the posts if it bothers you that bad. Whats funny, you talk about pharmacy like you have been around for 100 years....."some of us were interested in pharmacy long before this trendy behavior".......I would be willing to bet that if you knew pharmacists made 30K per year, after all is said and done, you wouldnt be pursuing it as a career......bottom line, you are doing it for the money too. I would bag that attitude. Would you like some cheese with that whine???? Freak, you are cockier than many medical students.

I expect to live just about the same during school as after school. I would like to be able to pay off my loans and to take a good looking woman out to dinner on occasion. After the loans are payed off, I anticipate living the same way, except with a wife who spends all the money I earn.

I expect to live just about the same during school as after school. I would like to be able to pay off my loans and to take a good looking woman out to dinner on occasion. After the loans are payed off, I anticipate living the same way, except with a wife who spends all the money I earn.

YOu are dang right!!!!. But I think we better concentrate on our loan first and then have the life to spend the money we will be making with our respective family!!! Oh we got to do something important too. At least make a big contribution to the pharmacy domain !!!....

All this talk about money makes me uncomfortable (not just here, but at school amongst classmates and even from profs during lectures). Money is fun, but it doesn't make life worth living. I do expect to be compensated for the investment I'm making in my education, but compensation isn't always strictly monetary.

It's a tough world for people who don't have enough income to support their families. For that reason, education is important. But the point of education should be to get training in a field that one finds stimulating and worthwhile. There are many directions that a student could go in to enable that. From personal experience, making a career decision from a purely economic point of view didn't work out in the long run. I'm happy that I've corrected my course, but sometimes I wish I could have all that time back that I spent on a mind-numbing, soul-killing, albeit lucrative telecom career path.

OK, get back to spending your future $$$ now. :)

I would be willing to bet that if you knew pharmacists made 30K per year, after all is said and done, you wouldnt be pursuing it as a career......

Well said...It's not all about $$$ but we all know there would be so many less PharmD applicants if it weren't for what appears to be a career with a bright future. I want to enjoy my job, that's half the battle, but I also want to enjoy my life and making good money doesn't hurt.

you wouldnt be pursuing it as a career......bottom line, you are doing it for the money too.

You'd lose that bet. I was working independent and mailorder pharmacies since I was in high school. Pharm. D's didn't even exist. You really should think before you speak. I laugh everytime an idiot brings up the salary topic. If that's the only reason you're in the business then it's best you bail now.

I would bag that attitude
What if I don't? :rolleyes: :laugh:

Again, get your **** straight BEFORE you open your mouth. Have a great day contemplating what you're going to be earning in 3-4 years. :rolleyes: :laugh:

but compensation isn't always strictly monetary.

Unfortunately, not everyone understands that. I'm willing to bet about half of newly accepted students don't know the first thing about pharmacy. It's painfully obvious by the posts here. I bet if underwater basket weaving were to become a lucrative career next year we'd lose a lot of pharm students.:laugh:

You'd lose that bet. I was working independent and mailorder pharmacies since I was in high school. Pharm. D's didn't even exist. You really should think before you speak. I laugh everytime an idiot brings up the salary topic. If that's the only reason you're in the business then it's best you bail now.

Switching to all Pharm. D programs is a very recent trend. The last schools did not switch over until around 2000 (i.e. Albany) So to say you worked with non Pharm Ds and now they have them is because of the money is very misleading.

For the sake of the sick, maybe the pay should be less to get in those that care more than those looking for a quick buck.

1. I enjoy working retail, so that's the way that I'm going.

2. I'd be much happier in a lab but that doesn't pay jack, so I went to pharmacy school. Money does make a big difference with me. I like to own nice things.

3. I just signed with Walgreens for $102,440 base salary. That offer was $4k more than last year. I expect my salary to keep increasing at this same rate of 3.5% per year. When you guys get out of school, all salaries should be over $100k.

1. I enjoy working retail, so that's the way that I'm going.

2. I'd be much happier in a lab but that doesn't pay jack, so I went to pharmacy school. Money does make a big difference with me. I like to own nice things.

3. I just signed with Walgreens for $102,440 base salary. That offer was $4k more than last year. I expect my salary to keep increasing at this same rate of 3.5% per year. When you guys get out of school, all salaries should be over $100k.

Wow, that's a surprise! It wasn't long ago that you referred to retail as "hell". Was it just that particular rotation? What changed your attitude - if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going to do a retail internship over the summer (don't know where yet - anywhere without a drive-thru, I guess). I figure I should at least try it before I knock it. Anyway - best of luck to you. You're almost done!

Again, get your **** straight BEFORE you open your mouth. Have a great day contemplating what you're going to be earning in 3-4 years. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Well, arent you just king stud.......Why dont you go and slip into something a tad more comfortable......like a coma.:laugh:

This, coming from what I can tell as a pharmacist? Student? You are a fool if you think many PharmD's dont go into pharmacy for a great salary....on top of being a great career. Shoot, I could care less....you sound kinda Troll-ish anyways. Good luck to ya, sucka..

I started working in retail in high school. Switched to hospital about six years ago. I've been working in pharmacy for 16 years. I love it. HOWEVER, I decided to go back to school for a PharmD because barely making ends meet with the rising costs of housing, gasoline, etc, etc. makes working as a technician a lot less appealing. I don't enjoy working two jobs, but I do just so I can take the occasional vacation and buy some nice things every once in a while.

I'm smart, highly respected, and just felt like the degree would enable me to delve further into patient care and give me more opportunity for growth. While money isn't my only reason, quitting that second job because my primary job pays enough is enticing.

Perhaps you should think before you speak. I've worked with PharmDs my entire pharmacy career. They have "existed" since long before you were born. (Or your parents, for that matter)

While I agree that money is not the only reason to get into pharmacy, I've paid my dues and would really enjoy being well compensated.

I worked with different pharmacists in different settings. They all were different. Some, i will always respect them. Some, they were not mature enough to hold the integrity of the profession. I have taken this profession as an opportunity of self-growth and satisfaction to help other whenever the opportunity comes. But, i cannot ignore the fact that money has been the huge issue too. I pay around 140,000 dollars for the PharmD program. It makes sense to me that i am not paying that huge sum of money just to do social work and helping the people. i have to get rid of my debt too and earn the respective life for myself and my family. Besides that, by my experience of holding different jobs in my lifetime, i would say the job of the pharmacist was the easiest one. It is my personal opinion on the basis of my expereinces. I do not say that there would not be bad days as a pharmacist, there would be bad days in any kind of job.

In summary, i want to become a pharmacist because i like it and there is good money. I would probably not hold any job that i do not like or i would not make enough money.

You know, it's funny how some say they went into pharmacy in order to help people. For those who say that, it is BS. YOUR ALL IN IT FOR THE MONEY. If a neurosurgeon said he/she was in it to save lifes, then ya, but a pharmacist?? What the heck does a pharmacist do anyway but sit behind a counter and count pills while playing on the internet every chance they get? Last time I got my Rx the only thing the pharmacist did was instruct me to use it twice a day for X number of days.. That being said, it is a great job if you like sitting on your behind doing nothing and making money.

You know, it's funny how some say they went into pharmacy in order to help people. For those who say that, it is BS. YOUR ALL IN IT FOR THE MONEY. If a neurosurgeon said he/she was in it to save lifes, then ya, but a pharmacist?? What the heck does a pharmacist do anyway but sit behind a counter and count pills while playing on the internet every chance they get? Last time I got my Rx the only thing the pharmacist did was instruct me to use it twice a day for X number of days.. That being said, it is a great job if you like sitting on your behind doing nothing and making money.

Wow, settle down there lil fella. No reason to get upset and get your panties in a bunch.

You can use Monstertrak, http://monstertrak.salary.com/ not only does it work for pharmacy and takes into account which state you're interested in working, but it also works for all other majors too!

Money is great, but it should never be the main reason for any job. With the money I earn as a pharmacist, I hope to pay off my students loans, buy a nice house, and provide for my family. Maybe I will need to combine salaries with my wife to purchase a nice house, especially in Orange County...blah!

Any who, I see a bright future in pharmacy :D