Money, Careers

Started by ffpickle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ffpickle

Thread Killer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to get on my soapbox, hope i don't ruffle any feathers.

i'm kjind of sick of all these self-righteous folks saying you shouldn't pursue a career for money. that shouldn't be the only reason, or the primary reason, true, but it MUST, absolutely MUST, be among the top few reasons. this criticism seems to be reserved for very high paying professions. i heard a tow truck driver say, among a group of people, that he pursued the career for the good money. none of them criticized him but i've heard these same folks criticize others for pursuing high-paying careers like law, dentistry, etc. Honestly, if someone is a greedy bastard, what is it to you anyways? Just go one being your blissful self and don't worry about others' economic decisions.
 
Just wanted to get on my soapbox, hope i don't ruffle any feathers.

i'm kjind of sick of all these self-righteous folks saying you shouldn't pursue a career for money. that shouldn't be the only reason, or the primary reason, true, but it MUST, absolutely MUST, be among the top few reasons. this criticism seems to be reserved for very high paying professions. i heard a tow truck driver say, among a group of people, that he pursued the career for the good money. none of them criticized him but i've heard these same folks criticize others for pursuing high-paying careers like law, dentistry, etc. Honestly, if someone is a greedy bastard, what is it to you anyways? Just go one being your blissful self and don't worry about others' economic decisions.

there is some truth. in a realistic world, i would say money is very important also. however, i believe interests is above money, and that has to be absolute.

i once heard a sermon on vocation, i dont remember it completely anymore, but one must enjoy their career for it to be a vocation.

and i think the stereotype/ criticism arose from media and tv shows. high-paying careers like law seem to always be evil in tv shows.

just my opinions
 
There are thousands of jobs that pay more than pharmacists... it may not have the same starting salary, but after 8 years of hard work it isn't too hard to move up to make 100K+ as long as you have the intelligence, work ethic, determination, communication skills, etc. But you can't be a pharmacist without those same skills, so if you have what it takes to be a pharmacist then if you really worked hard at another job you can probably move up to a position that makes more than a pharmacist. I have a friend who was an insurance salesman (take a test after high school)... after 10 years out of high school taking a few college classes while working currently makes 100K+ a year (for 10 year worked his way up from starter salary). If he works another 10+ year or so he can be promoted again making 150K+ or more. Compared that to taking 4 years undergrad and 4 years pharm school to make the same amount and be knee deep in loans that will take a year or more to pay off. It is also not likely for a pharmacist to move up and make more money by having experience.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It would only be a factor if i was going to make 300+ a year. haha.😛 There's more to life than mulah, guys.
 
It would only be a factor if i was going to make 300+ a year. haha.😛 There's more to life than mulah, guys.

300K+ a year out of college I would do in a heartbeat as well... but I would never go through all the years of school and residency to become a surgeon to make even 500K a year because I hate having to touch sick patients... even less having to dig inside them. No way would I go work so hard to become something I don't want to be just because I want to make money... if it came easy and handed to me by a friend or relative I would take it, but I'm not going to work hard and stress for 10+ years on something that doesn't give me any satisfaction just so I can make a lot of money.
 
Just wanted to get on my soapbox, hope i don't ruffle any feathers.

i'm kjind of sick of all these self-righteous folks saying you shouldn't pursue a career for money. that shouldn't be the only reason, or the primary reason, true, but it MUST, absolutely MUST, be among the top few reasons. this criticism seems to be reserved for very high paying professions. i heard a tow truck driver say, among a group of people, that he pursued the career for the good money. none of them criticized him but i've heard these same folks criticize others for pursuing high-paying careers like law, dentistry, etc. Honestly, if someone is a greedy bastard, what is it to you anyways? Just go one being your blissful self and don't worry about others' economic decisions.

I have said it before that you shouldn't get into pharmacy for the money. This is not because I don't enjoy money and what it can buy. It's more because if you don't love what you do or at least can be happy with what you do, it doesn't matter how much you get paid, you will be miserable. Of course the salaries pharmacists are getting paid right now is an enticement to join the field. But that is not the only, nor the main, reason for me embarking on the four year stress hell of pharmacy school and taking on over $100K in debt to do it.

I once knew a person that was offered $100K a year to do something they were getting paid less than a third of that in the Army. They declined to do that job solely because they hated it and they couldn't bring themselves to do it for any longer no matter the pay. You will spend more than half your waking hours at your job, so doesn't it make sense that you would want to enjoy your work, or even better, have passion for it?
 
I admit it was the money that got me interested, but after learning about and seeing first-hand what pharmacists do, I have more complete and genuine reasons to become a pharmacist.
 
Just wanted to get on my soapbox, hope i don't ruffle any feathers.

i'm kjind of sick of all these self-righteous folks saying you shouldn't pursue a career for money. that shouldn't be the only reason, or the primary reason, true, but it MUST, absolutely MUST, be among the top few reasons. this criticism seems to be reserved for very high paying professions. i heard a tow truck driver say, among a group of people, that he pursued the career for the good money. none of them criticized him but i've heard these same folks criticize others for pursuing high-paying careers like law, dentistry, etc. Honestly, if someone is a greedy bastard, what is it to you anyways? Just go one being your blissful self and don't worry about others' economic decisions.

I get what you're saying. But I also understand what others are saying. I wouldn't want someone being my doctor if they just went into medicine for the money. However, I believe that a lot of people wouldn't make it through that long of an educational process if they didn't have an interest in the field.

Furthermore, I am choosing pharmacy for both reasons; money and the profession. I certainly wouldn't go to school for 8 years to make $20,000 a year. But I also wouldn't got to school for 2 years to make $200,000 if it wasn't something I didn't want to do with my life. 🙂
 
Education is an investment, no one would do it if it didnt pay well. We wouldnt have pharmacists then. On the same note, in order for someone to be successful and happy with their careers, especially in the medical field because people's lives depend on you, they must have a genuine interest in it as well. I think it's as simple as that.
 
What I've noticed is that a lot of the people who say, "Money shouldn't be a factor." are people who haven't ever really had to deal with money issues. If you've been poor, or disadvantaged at all then I guarantee you that money will be a factor.

Also, you can be a perfectly competent pharmacist and not care about other people at all. Money has value for a reason. Generally, people who are good at what they do will make more money than those who aren't.
 
Undeniably, annual pharmacy salary plays a big role in explaining the growing number of pharmacy school applicants each year. Money, flexibility, and the life style one can have with the pharmacy profession is what originally sparks interests in pharmacy field.

Nevertheless, as someone already mentioned; its the passion for pharmacy that ultimately keeps one content while returning to his or her pharmacy occupation.
 
Also, being a pharmacist isn't everyone's dream job. Personally, I would rather be an astronaut or an actor. But being a pharmacist was a little bit more reasonable and it will pay the bills and provide a comfortable life. Not everyone is going to do exactly what they want to do for a living. But your work doesn't have to be your life. You can work to live instead of live to work, as my mom would say.
 
I'm not saying that you should be a pharmacist if you absolutely hate it. But if it's no big deal for you to work 8 hours a day in a pharmacy and get paid, and you can do a good job, then why not be a pharmacist?
 
What I've noticed is that a lot of the people who say, "Money shouldn't be a factor." are people who haven't ever really had to deal with money issues. If you've been poor, or disadvantaged at all then I guarantee you that money will be a factor.

Also, you can be a perfectly competent pharmacist and not care about other people at all. Money has value for a reason. Generally, people who are good at what they do will make more money than those who aren't.

I agree. For anyone who is living pay check to pay check like I am. "Money is a BIG factor!"

At the same time, I believe a perfectly competent pharmacist who do not care much about people at all, most likely would not be as happy as a pharmacist who is passionate about his or her job.

If given the opportunity that offers easy transition to a profession that pays three to four times the salary of a pharmacist, the unhappy pharmacist would more likely change profession than one who is passionate about the pharmacy field.

In my opinion, there are many medical and non-medical professions out there that pays a lot more than pharmacy. Pharmacists lead a decent life, but you'll be disappointed if you think pharmacy is going to make you rich. In the end, regardless of how much money we make, we should find what makes us happy TODAY!

Trying to make more money may play a big role right now because many of us here are broke, in debt, and in need of money. As crazy as it may sound, the desire to make more and more money is not always going to play as big a role later in your life. (e.g. I rather work less and spend time with my future children)

The more money we make, the more we spend; so try concentrating some time on what makes you happy today. Because if you're not happy today, you most likely won't be happy tomorrow or when you become a pharmacist.

have a good day everyone🙂
 
I agree. For anyone who is living pay check to pay check like I am. "Money is a BIG factor!"

At the same time, I believe a perfectly competent pharmacist who do not care much about people at all, most likely would not be as happy as a pharmacist who is passionate about his or her job.

If given the opportunity that offers easy transition to a profession that pays three to four times the salary of a pharmacist, the unhappy pharmacist would more likely change profession than one who is passionate about the pharmacy field.

In my opinion, there are many medical and non-medical professions out there that pays a lot more than pharmacy. Pharmacists lead a decent life, but you'll be disappointed if you think pharmacy is going to make you rich. In the end, regardless of how much money we make, we should find what makes us happy TODAY!

Trying to make more money may play a big role right now because many of us here are broke, in debt, and in need of money. As crazy as it may sound, the desire to make more and more money is not always going to play as big a role later in your life. (e.g. I rather work less and spend time with my future children)

The more money we make, the more we spend; so try concentrating some time on what makes you happy today. Because if you're not happy today, you most likely won't be happy tomorrow or when you become a pharmacist.

have a good day everyone🙂

all i can say is... good call.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want a job that I will be happy doing and that allows me to live a "comfortable lifestyle". Is that too much to ask?? lol, jk.

People have their reasons to become a pharmacist, and as long as they become damn good pharmacists, I don't care what motivates them.
 
I agree. For anyone who is living pay check to pay check like I am. "Money is a BIG factor!"

At the same time, I believe a perfectly competent pharmacist who do not care much about people at all, most likely would not be as happy as a pharmacist who is passionate about his or her job.

If given the opportunity that offers easy transition to a profession that pays three to four times the salary of a pharmacist, the unhappy pharmacist would more likely change profession than one who is passionate about the pharmacy field.

In my opinion, there are many medical and non-medical professions out there that pays a lot more than pharmacy. Pharmacists lead a decent life, but you'll be disappointed if you think pharmacy is going to make you rich. In the end, regardless of how much money we make, we should find what makes us happy TODAY!

Trying to make more money may play a big role right now because many of us here are broke, in debt, and in need of money. As crazy as it may sound, the desire to make more and more money is not always going to play as big a role later in your life. (e.g. I rather work less and spend time with my future children)

The more money we make, the more we spend; so try concentrating some time on what makes you happy today. Because if you're not happy today, you most likely won't be happy tomorrow or when you become a pharmacist.

have a good day everyone🙂

Agreed. When you're in your mid/late 30's, the house is paid off, 3 cars in the drive way, kids going into high school, all you'd really be concerned about is relaxing and enjoying life. We make a good living, more than enough to cover expenses as long as you don't want an extravagant lifestyle. I learned this first hand from my father, who has been chasing money since his mid thirties. He's 54 now and all he does all day is run his business, fly back and forth to China to solve problems with his business partners over there, and stay up all night worrying about his business. He makes bank, but is it really worth the stress he puts himself through? All he is concerned about is making money. I barely see him smile. He always has his head in his books, or he'll watch tv and randomly swear because he's thinking about business problems instead of paying attention to the tube. Even my older brother and sister, finance and accounting grads, are in on his work. Suffice it to say, family life is not happy.

So you just really have to step back and ask, how much money is enough? What will make you happy? This is part of what pushed me towards this profession. I enjoy it, I'll make enough money to live a comfortable life, and I'll still have plenty of time with my wife and kids.

But hey, you don't have to take advice from a guy in his mid 20's. I'm just letting you know what I've seen first hand because of a constant concern with money.

Sorry, just had to rant somewhere.
 
Agreed. When you're in your mid/late 30's, the house is paid off, 3 cars in the drive way, kids going into high school, all you'd really be concerned about is relaxing and enjoying life. We make a good living, more than enough to cover expenses as long as you don't want an extravagant lifestyle. I learned this first hand from my father, who has been chasing money since his mid thirties. He's 54 now and all he does all day is run his business, fly back and forth to China to solve problems with his business partners over there, and stay up all night worrying about his business. He makes bank, but is it really worth the stress he puts himself through? All he is concerned about is making money. I barely see him smile. He always has his head in his books, or he'll watch tv and randomly swear because he's thinking about business problems instead of paying attention to the tube. Even my older brother and sister, finance and accounting grads, are in on his work. Suffice it to say, family life is not happy.

So you just really have to step back and ask, how much money is enough? What will make you happy? This is part of what pushed me towards this profession. I enjoy it, I'll make enough money to live a comfortable life, and I'll still have plenty of time with my wife and kids.

But hey, you don't have to take advice from a guy in his mid 20's. I'm just letting you know what I've seen first hand because of a constant concern with money.

Sorry, just had to rant somewhere.

That's exactly why I am sort of leaning towards this profession as I have started volunteering at a local retail pharmacy and the pharmacist there enjoys her life. She can spend time with her kids and her family - rather than have to worry about the paycheck or about problems after work; it just doesn't happen.

You are like me pal, except my father isn't Chinese! 😛
 
What I've noticed is that a lot of the people who say, "Money shouldn't be a factor." are people who haven't ever really had to deal with money issues. If you've been poor, or disadvantaged at all then I guarantee you that money will be a factor.

Also, you can be a perfectly competent pharmacist and not care about other people at all. Money has value for a reason. Generally, people who are good at what they do will make more money than those who aren't.

First off, I am not countering you in any way, I'm just explaining where I'm coming from. While I don't disagree with you that someone that has had to deal with money issues will be drawn to something that promises good money, I don't feel that people should go into a profession just on the promise of money. The dean of my school is the one that keeps telling all of the pre-pharmacy at our undergrad campus that if we are getting into it primarily for the money, to do some serious thinking and figure out if there is something else that drives you to the profession because the money will only keep you happy for ten years max. They don't want to waste a spot on someone that will not be a lifelong benefit to the profession because that would be wasting their time as well as a spot for someone that might have stayed happy and productive as a pharmacist.

That being said, I spent eight years in the Army as an enlisted soldier. I started in 1996 and my monthly pay was less than $800. I didn't have to pay for housing or food if I ate at the chow hall, but if I wanted to have fun, that cost money. That $800 was also before taxes, so you can guess just how much I actually had to play with. I know what it's like to struggle with money and wondering if I will make it through the month without going negative on my bank balance. I look forward to not having to deal with that problem anymore, but I also look forward to donating my time and effort to help those that are still in that situation or worse. I'm in school to be a pharmacist to help people with what I learn and the license I get to give that help.
 
Agreed. When you're in your mid/late 30's, the house is paid off, 3 cars in the drive way, kids going into high school, all you'd really be concerned about is relaxing and enjoying life. We make a good living, more than enough to cover expenses as long as you don't want an extravagant lifestyle. I learned this first hand from my father, who has been chasing money since his mid thirties. He's 54 now and all he does all day is run his business, fly back and forth to China to solve problems with his business partners over there, and stay up all night worrying about his business. He makes bank, but is it really worth the stress he puts himself through? All he is concerned about is making money. I barely see him smile. He always has his head in his books, or he'll watch tv and randomly swear because he's thinking about business problems instead of paying attention to the tube. Even my older brother and sister, finance and accounting grads, are in on his work. Suffice it to say, family life is not happy.

So you just really have to step back and ask, how much money is enough? What will make you happy? This is part of what pushed me towards this profession. I enjoy it, I'll make enough money to live a comfortable life, and I'll still have plenty of time with my wife and kids.

But hey, you don't have to take advice from a guy in his mid 20's. I'm just letting you know what I've seen first hand because of a constant concern with money.

Sorry, just had to rant somewhere.


I agree with most of what you have stated with one exception...I do believe it is possible to live a fairly extravagant lifestyle as a pharmacist. Pardon my naivete or whatnot, as I recently turned 22 and probably know jack about life, but keep in mind that as a pharmacist, you will be making about $100,000 or more per year. On such a salary, I believe it is very well possible to drive a luxury car if you're into those and own a beautiful condo or house. As a matter of fact, I've spoken to a few pharmacists who have up to 2 houses. That's pretty extravagant, if you ask me. Think about it...the average joe in this country makes about $30,000 per year and many of these people manage to be homeowners with a mortgage and whatnot. Yet, as I've said, they're making only $30k per year. Hell, my father is a 5th grade teacher of emotionally, physically, and intellectually handicapped children, making about $50,000 per year and when he and my mother were together, we would take vacations every summer. Wonderful vacations to Mexico, Puerto Rico, Canada, Europe, etc... What makes you think that making anywhere from 3 to 4 times the average American's salary will not be enough to live a great lifestyle? If by comfortable you mean simply being able to pay bills and have a little money left over, then I don't believe that's very comfortable at all.

A comfortable lifestyle to me means being able to enjoy a deluxe vacation every once in a while, drive a luxury vehicle, and own a nice home. I don't see why it is not possible to live such a lifestyle as a pharmacist. We are in the top 15% of salaries. I see people making "only" $60,000 and they can afford a Mercedes-Benz or even Jaguar.

Now, if you prioritize family and want to punch out two kids or more, then that's a different story. Having two kids or even more will surely drain your financial resources and all of your hard earned money will go into raising children as opposed to being able to enjoy yourself. Personally, if I ever get married, I'd have only 1 child so I could still afford a great lifestyle. But, like I said, if you have 2 or more kids, then surely, I can see why you will not be able to afford an extravagant lifestyle. In that case, I guess it just comes down to choosing what's more important to you in life...having a family and spending your resources on one and not being able to afford a life of indulgence or having only one child but being able to enjoy the great material things in life.

I have read posts here on SDN about pharmacists who make reference to their lifestyles. Some own a viper, others have beautiful homes, etc... I sincerely don't understand why pharmacists can't live such a lifestyle if you even read about it here on sdn.
 
Last edited:
I admit it was the money that got me interested, but after learning about and seeing first-hand what pharmacists do, I have more complete and genuine reasons to become a pharmacist.

Same thing for me, the salary helped narrow the potential fields I wanted to go in. But now that I'm learning what pharmacists are capable of, I've developed other complete reasons.
 
I'm approaching the field in my late 40s, and was pretty cynical about the "don't discuss salary or money in the interviews" dictum (I did refrain, but ignorance of the details of the career would be really stupid).

Any career choice has to look at all of the details, good, bad and ugly. The lifestyle that the salary allows you to afford is part of the enjoyment that the career holds but only part. Life is too short to hate what you are doing 40+ hours a week just for the sake of a paycheck.

[A couple of side notes to those of you that are just looking forward to the time when school is over:
1) it's never over, when you stop learning you start dieing, no different than my past career as a software engineer, learning is survival, just to keep pace with the industry
2) don't wish the time away, every second is there to be experienced and savored, even when you are under the gun working on some project that has to be turned in the next day, arguing with your classmates as to the meaning of a particular phrase, it is all there to be experienced and enjoyed. Once you start wishing away time, it's 4 years for this school, then the few years to pay off the loans, then the time until your kids reach school age, then until they graduate high school, etc., pretty soon you are in your 50s and waiting for retirement and it has all passed you by because you've always been wishing to be past a certain hurdle. Enjoy it all because you never get it back. <steps down from soapbox>.]