Money or Help People???

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dragon1761

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to take a survey to see why people wanted to become an OD. I've asked several people that are in health profession and their replies for their prime motivation in becoming doctors was for the riches their occupation provides. I was astonished at what i heard, since I wanted to go into the health profession to help people.
 
I guess I would have to say help people. It's just something I've always wanted to do, something I love doing, and something I find very interesting. I feel like making a decent salary is just a big bonus 🙂
 
dragon1761 said:
Just wanted to take a survey to see why people wanted to become an OD. I've asked several people that are in health profession and their replies for their prime motivation in becoming doctors was for the riches their occupation provides. I was astonished at what i heard, since I wanted to go into the health profession to help people.

I would have to say both. I want to help people, but you can't really help people if you're a broke doctor. In reality we all have bills to pay, whether it be the house or the office lease. I think that most people deciding to enter the health profession do weigh the monetary value and exhange for the professsion they are interested in. However, I feel that money should not be the driving force for those pursuing optometry or any health profession. Ones passion for helping those less fortunate should be the first priority.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The desire to "help people" is really over used is explaining ones want to enter any health field. Bankers help people by loaning them money for a home, farmers by providing food for all of the world, engineers by designing items that clean, protect, and save us. Nearly every profession "helps people", so why don't chefs say they want to help people when they are applying to a culinary arts school? B/c in other professions to is not perceived as taboo to say, "I'm here b/c I like to cook."

We love the notion that our drive to purse anything is completely utilitarian, but in reality, self-fulfillment is the motivation..."helping people" is just often a byproduct. That is not to say that we are not fulfilled by helping others; but, we would not help others unless we enjoyed it (there is a Kantian aspect to the last statement). There is a difference between helping people just to help, and helping people b/c we derive self-fulfillment form it.

Sorry for letting my philosophy minor jump in to the forum, I'll just answer your question now. I'm in optometry b/c I have always loved science. Anatomy, physics (which I suck at), chemistry...they are all amazing. Another influence is that my dad's an OD with a practice I can buy. So, why optometry? Optometry incorporates all of those likes I mentioned, but so does biomedical engineering, or pharmaceutical research, or, why not dentistry? I would have to say that access to a nice practice with a father approaching retirement at the same time I will be graduating is a pretty strong influence. I get to spend my life studying anatomy, biochemistry, optics..., and make a very comfortable living. Oh yea, I almost forgot, I like to make people happy. People are usually pretty happy when they leave the optometrist, I guess helping people is a factor as well.
😉
 
wow so detailed. Hey im gonna be attending ico this year got any tips on study habits or notes you can hook me up with?