money question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elyk

Blue M&M, Green M&M...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an "average" salary for residents? If so what would it be? If it helps I am interested in general surgery/reconstructive (plastic). Even an idea of figures would be good: 5 figs? 6 maybe? 20 bucks a month?!

Members don't see this ad.

Ballpark $40K/ year as an intern increasing about $2-3K/year.

You will make more in 1) high cost areas and 2) less competitive programs. Generally, at a given hospital, all residents make the same regardless of specialty.

Six figures for a resident?! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! :laugh:

Check FREIDA for residency salaries at each program.

residency salaries are higher in higher cost areas, but not high enough. residents in areas like manhattan, the bay area, etc often live from paycheck to paycheck. if you're looking to save a little during residency, go to the less costly area.

stormjen said:
Six figures for a resident?! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! :laugh:

this is gotta be one of the most hilarious things I've read since being on SDN for the last 2 years.

as a resident, you'll probably make below minimum wage ($/h) when considering the hours worked vs salary. The real dough comes in when you're done and out on your own.

The only way to make six figures as a resident is to moonlight a lot. I mean a whole lot. One of our senior residents worked 40 weekends last year moonlighting in radiology. Made over 120K. This is very rare and takes a lot of time.

Whisker Barrel Cortex said:
The only way to make six figures as a resident is to moonlight a lot. I mean a whole lot. One of our senior residents worked 40 weekends last year moonlighting in radiology. Made over 120K. This is very rare and takes a lot of time.

What year do you have to be at your program to moonlight in rads?