money throughout college and med school

Started by phenom832
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I ran my own wholesaling business (mostly tech and media), as I couldn't have a real job because I was on scholarship and was an athlete. It also doubled as my first foray into business. The economy is a bit rough now, so I'd suggest something more recession proof....like tutoring. There are always kids with parents willing to pay for a tutor.
 
It's not hard to maintain a full time job and be a full time student. I am engaged as well. All you have to do is manage your time wisely.
 
how do you manage a job and being a full time student

Time Management.

I've been working at least 35 hours a week while taking 16-19 credits per semester. Then in the past year and a half I planned a wedding, did 10 hours of research a week and studied to take the PCAT.

The odd thing is you end up not having much of a life to spend money except on bills lol

The old you get, the more adept you become at these things.
 
The difference between college and high school is time spent learning in/ out of the classroom. In high school, you spend 40 hours in school and 5 hours out of school (studying), per week. In college, you spend 15 hours in class, and 35 hours (studying) per week. This gives you more than enough time to also work for 40 hours a week and still have leisure time.
 
I have worked 40 hours/week since moving to California and having to start college over. I have to be able to pay the bills (and have some fun) since loan money only covers tuition and fees. Do I hate it and envy most of the other students that only have to concentrate on school and not so much work? Yup, I sure do. . .has it made me a stronger, wiser and more mature individual? It sure has and I would not trade that for anything.

You do not need a full-time job to be able to have some spending money. 20 hours a week would be sufficient at most. For me though, with a car payment, gas, rent, utilities, insurance, books and credit card payments, I really do not have another choice. . .but it is quite alright since I'll quit working for 4 years here in 7 months! =)
 
Working during undergrad is not unheard of. A lot of students use work study funds to wrangle a job. However, when you get to medical school, you more than likely will not have time for a job. Schools allow large loans to cover your cost of living while in medical school.