Monkey animal behavior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lintydent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember seeing a post on a monkey question with a bell...or maybe it was a dog....anyways, it was posted a day or two ago and I'm having trouble finding it...

OR ...does anyone have any sample animal behavior questions?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

lintydent said:
Does anyone remember seeing a post on a monkey question with a bell...or maybe it was a dog....anyways, it was posted a day or two ago and I'm having trouble finding it...

OR ...does anyone have any sample animal behavior questions?

Thanks.

dog+bell=pavlov.

Thanks, I know the whole pavlov thing, but there was a really, really long thread the other day about some animal hitting a bell and there was a debate as to what the answer was.....conditioned...unconditioned...reinforcement...don't exactly remember.

Anyone remember seeing that one?

lintydent said:
Thanks, I know the whole pavlov thing, but there was a really, really long thread the other day about some animal hitting a bell and there was a debate as to what the answer was.....conditioned...unconditioned...reinforcement...don't exactly remember.

Anyone remember seeing that one?

i think animals pressing or hitting things for some reward is operant conditioning=skinner. or are you looking for what the bell represents in terms of ur us etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just change your dog icon? mm...

I know the different conditions and the skinner and pavlov thing, but I was actually just looking for that one post with the question that people were getting confused on or any other animal behavior questions to "test my knowledge" after having read more carefully through the animal behavior section.

Thanks though!

lintydent said:
Did you just change your dog icon? mm...

I know the different conditions and the skinner and pavlov thing, but I was actually just looking for that one post with the question that people were getting confused on or any other animal behavior questions to "test my knowledge" after having read more carefully through the animal behavior section.

Thanks though!

yeah, this new one is my present for studying day and night for the DAT. :thumbup:

The question about the monkey hitting a bell was on some practice test...but the answer was messed up.

Here's the Q, not ""

A monkey is trained to push a button every time it hears a bell ring. After it has been trained, the bell is rung every minute for two days, after which time, the monkey no longer pushes the button when the bell rings. This is an example of what?

a) habituation
b) extinction
c) stimulus generalization
d) stimulas discrimination
e) imprinting

The answer in the Kaplan test is (b). but it doesn't make sense for a couple reasons.

First, we know (c) and (d) are wrong based on the definitions of those two answers. (e) is wrong because this has nothing to do with a critical period of time when a pattern or behavior is learned. That leaves (a) and (b)

(a) seems like the better answer since the stimulus (bell) becomes so constant in the environment, that the monkey learns to ignore it. However, (a) isn't perfect, because habituation refers to getting used to a stimulus that normally causes a startle response, and learning to push a button isn't a startle response.

(b) is the answer Kaplan says is right...and I have issues with that. Extinction refers to classical pavlovian conditions. An unconditioned stimulus is paired with a conditioned stimulus to get an animal to respond to either stimulus in the same way. Extinction occurs when the conditioned stimulus is no longer paired with the unconditioned stimulus to create the response and over time, the response to the conditioned stimulus disappears. The monkey example, however, fails to fit this concept. First, there is no unconditioned stimulus that would naturally make a monkey hit a button. The question also makes no mention of what unconditioned stimulus there might be? Also, the frequency (once every minute) is more along the lines of habituation than extinction...

I personally think this was just a badly worded question, and on the DAT, they aren't this tricky about things.

djeffreyt said:
The question about the monkey hitting a bell was on some practice test...but the answer was messed up.

Here's the Q, not ""

A monkey is trained to push a button every time it hears a bell ring. After it has been trained, the bell is rung every minute for two days, after which time, the monkey no longer pushes the button when the bell rings. This is an example of what?

a) habituation
b) extinction
c) stimulus generalization
d) stimulas discrimination
e) imprinting

The answer in the Kaplan test is (b). but it doesn't make sense for a couple reasons.

First, we know (c) and (d) are wrong based on the definitions of those two answers. (e) is wrong because this has nothing to do with a critical period of time when a pattern or behavior is learned. That leaves (a) and (b)

(a) seems like the better answer since the stimulus (bell) becomes so constant in the environment, that the monkey learns to ignore it. However, (a) isn't perfect, because habituation refers to getting used to a stimulus that normally causes a startle response, and learning to push a button isn't a startle response.

(b) is the answer Kaplan says is right...and I have issues with that. Extinction refers to classical pavlovian conditions. An unconditioned stimulus is paired with a conditioned stimulus to get an animal to respond to either stimulus in the same way. Extinction occurs when the conditioned stimulus is no longer paired with the unconditioned stimulus to create the response and over time, the response to the conditioned stimulus disappears. The monkey example, however, fails to fit this concept. First, there is no unconditioned stimulus that would naturally make a monkey hit a button. The question also makes no mention of what unconditioned stimulus there might be? Also, the frequency (once every minute) is more along the lines of habituation than extinction...

I personally think this was just a badly worded question, and on the DAT, they aren't this tricky about things.

I remember Kaplan said it is answer A.

Thanks very much for answering my question!

...I remember now, I think it was on the Kaplan cd?....and they did say the answer was b) extinction....and I agree with your comments jeff..thanks!

lintydent said:
Thanks very much for answering my question!

...I remember now, I think it was on the Kaplan cd?....and they did say the answer was b) extinction....and I agree with your comments jeff..thanks!

i agree. bad wording for sure.