Montefiore housing/parking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjamaham30

Reaction score
Hi,

Incoming resident starting at Montefiore. I just got approved for housing in Riverdale at 3636 waldo avenue. I just wanted to know if anyone had information about the property, like how nice it is and if it's renovated or now.

Also I was wondering if anyone had any information about the parking situation. My friend told me they're not approving anyone for parking at the Riverdale complex, so I'll have to store my car somewhere. How convenient are the parking garages at the main Montefiore campuses? Is it a safe place to keep your car?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Incoming resident starting at Montefiore. I just got approved for housing in Riverdale at 3636 waldo avenue. I just wanted to know if anyone had information about the property, like how nice it is and if it's renovated or now.

Also I was wondering if anyone had any information about the parking situation. My friend told me they're not approving anyone for parking at the Riverdale complex, so I'll have to store my car somewhere. How convenient are the parking garages at the main Montefiore campuses? Is it a safe place to keep your car?
Former resident 2013-2017, while I lived in Manhattan many of my co residents lived in housing. The riverdale housing was significantly better than the on campus Monte housing. Also while I don’t know the parking situation at the Riverdale housing, the parking garage at the main hospital and Weiler (if you’ll be rotating there at all) is quite easy cheap and safe (at least it was back in 2017).

Former resident 2013-2017, while I lived in Manhattan many of my co residents lived in housing. The riverdale housing was significantly better than the on campus Monte housing. Also while I don’t know the parking situation at the Riverdale housing, the parking garage at the main hospital and Weiler (if you’ll be rotating there at all) is quite easy cheap and safe (at least it was back in 2017).
Thanks so much for replying. Can I ask why you decided to live in Manhattan over the housing? And what was significantly better about the Riverdale housing? No one has been able to show me pictures of the interior of any of the places so I've been basically blind while choosing

Also, someone said there was stacked parking in the garages at the main hospital and took 30 minutes to get your car? Is that true ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for replying. Can I ask why you decided to live in Manhattan over the housing? And what was significantly better about the Riverdale housing? No one has been able to show me pictures of the interior of any of the places so I've been basically blind while choosing

Also, someone said there was stacked parking in the garages at the main hospital and took 30 minutes to get your car? Is that true ?
I wanted to be in the city. It was a modest commute by car or train, very doable, and afforded me the lifestyle I wanted outside of work hanging with friends enjoying NYC etc. was never even really a question where I was going to live.

The main knock on the housing at Monte proper is that area around the hospital, while safe, isn’t exactly booming with activities and options for social life, especially during the colder season where the parks around the hospital aren’t as much of an option.

Stacked parking and yes could take 15-20mins to get your car during the 4-6pm period. Late shifts 7-10pm no problem. I don’t remember ever being too bothered by it especially bc there was no other option and was still slightly quicker than the subway

I wanted to be in the city. It was a modest commute by car or train, very doable, and afforded me the lifestyle I wanted outside of work hanging with friends enjoying NYC etc. was never even really a question where I was going to live.

The main knock on the housing at Monte proper is that area around the hospital, while safe, isn’t exactly booming with activities and options for social life, especially during the colder season where the parks around the hospital aren’t as much of an option.

Stacked parking and yes could take 15-20mins to get your car during the 4-6pm period. Late shifts 7-10pm no problem. I don’t remember ever being too bothered by it especially bc there was no other option and was still slightly quicker than the subway
Did you find yourself driving from Manhattan more or taking the subway or train more?

Did you live close to 86 street station? Surprised driving was faster for you
85th and 3rd. 2 minute walk. Door to door 45 mins. Sometimes had to wait for the 4 a bit that could make the trip longer. Way in was faster by car (left city 620) and way home was roughly the same. I also enjoyed driving but main reason I drove was a)already had a car and didn’t need to pay for a garage in Manhattan and b) gave me a bit more flexibility especially in AM and on late nights when it was significantly faster to drive

85th and 3rd. 2 minute walk. Door to door 45 mins. Sometimes had to wait for the 4 a bit that could make the trip longer. Way in was faster by car (left city 620) and way home was roughly the same. I also enjoyed driving but main reason I drove was a)already had a car and didn’t need to pay for a garage in Manhattan and b) gave me a bit more flexibility especially in AM and on late nights when it was significantly faster to drive
Can I ask if you had a SO or family for financial support? Surprised you were able to afford that all on a resident salary

Can I ask if you had a SO or family for financial support? Surprised you were able to afford that all on a resident salary
Significant other, no family financial support. This was 2013-2017 my salary ranged from 57,500 as an intern to 80k my chief year. Our rent ranged from 3400-3750 a month during that time. My wife worked as a teacher initially then had her own business and made a decent amount more than me but nothing crazy

Significant other, no family financial support. This was 2013-2017 my salary ranged from 57,500 as an intern to 80k my chief year. Our rent ranged from 3400-3750 a month during that time. My wife worked as a teacher initially then had her own business and made a decent amount more than me but nothing crazy
Thanks! Not sure if you know the answer to this question, but do you know how reliable the Montefiore shuttles are between campus? Trying to figure out if the riverdale one is reliable