Montefiore vs Hofstra LIJ/Zucker Hillside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavsfan2306

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - having a hard time figuring out how to rank these two. Any advice? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Gut feeling?
Thanks for the response! My gut tells me Hofstra for the reputation and quality of training. Although Montefiore wins out for me in terms of location/lifestyle/resident happiness, with comparable caliber of training

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fan of gut feeling. Just my take. Go where you feel you will be happiest overall.

I think one can argue that these two programs are the tier just below the big four Manhattan programs (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mount Sinai) in/around NYC. Not sure where I would place St. Luke's/Beth Israel but that's a different topic.

At Hofstra, I got the sense that they are trying to compete with the big four Manhattan programs. There was also a strong emphasis on research and much like the Manhattan programs, I feel like the residents are trained for academic medicine. I came away from my interview thinking that Hofstra will give training that is somewhat comparable to the Manhattan programs and many of the residents certainly match into more "prestigious" fellowships afterward.

At Einstein, I felt like the program is sort of doing its own thing with an emphasis on psychotherapy training, resident education, and work-life balance. The residents seemed a little bit less "type A" and for what it's worth, they were some of the happiest residents I've seen on my interview trail. Some residents match into the big four Manhattan programs for fellowship but most of the residents end up matching at Einstein which sounds to me that they absolutely love the program and don't want to leave (apparently fellows don't take call? I could be wrong).

Last edited:
definitely struggling with these two as well! if i'm considering staying in NYC after residency, do you think choosing one over the other will affect the patients i get in a private practice? i also can't tell if the monty residents stay for fellowship there because they love it so much or if LIJ just matches better for fellowship... not sure if there is much of a difference in prestige between the two.

definitely struggling with these two as well! if i'm considering staying in NYC after residency, do you think choosing one over the other will affect the patients i get in a private practice? i also can't tell if thel monty residents stay for fellowship there because they love it so much or if LIJ just matches better for fellowship... not sure if there is much of a difference in prestige between the two.

I think the Monte residents really just love it there. With the exception of maybe geri, many 4th years cited no reasons for wanting/needing to leave. There was one 4th year who was heading to Columbia for Geri because she said there wasn't much in the way of acute geri exposure at Monte so she knew she would need to go somewhere else to get more training. I also didn't get the vibe that these are the types of residents who are chomping at the bit to start a rigorous academic career or fellowship after residency, so I think you also have to take that into consideration when looking at where they end up for fellowship. The residents at Monte were so laid back, I find it hard to believe they'd even want to end up at one of "the big four" -- very different personalities at these programs. Not everyone wants to be in that type of residency/fellowship.

Last edited: