Moonlighting as a Fellow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey House

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for a friend - is anyone moonlighting as a fellow. Are there any central resources or well knows ways to go about this. At least in Boston there don't seem to be too many positions?

Members don't see this ad.

Moonlighting doing what? I suspect that the best anyone could expect to find would be to do some grossing and perhaps cover the odd autopsy.

Asking for a friend - is anyone moonlighting as a fellow. Are there any central resources or well knows ways to go about this. At least in Boston there don't seem to be too many positions?
Some commercial labs allow fellows to work. You can sign out some surgicals or the lab can assign a staff to co-sign cases prepared by the fellow. But, you need to know someone (staff pathologist) who will be comfortable at co-signing with you. During fellowship I earned more than my salary with moonlighting! And there are plenty of commercial labs in Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some commercial labs allow fellows to work. You can sign out some surgicals or the lab can assign a staff to co-sign cases prepared by the fellow. But, you need to know someone (staff pathologist) who will be comfortable at co-signing with you. During fellowship I earned more than my salary with moonlighting! And there are plenty of commercial labs in Boston.

Note: I reviewed the above post and concur.

Pick up the phone and start calling private practices and dermpath guys. I did that and found a gig with in couple of days. Its a good way to local networking too.

I moonlighted in residency. A local private practice group paid me 800 to gross on saturdays which took about 4 hours. Then I got another 800 of there was an autopsy which only happened
once

So what's the deal with malpractice coverage for gross only moonlighting?

All I know is I didnt have to buy any. Because I worked so infrequently I was covered under one of the partners.

My program didn't allow moonlighting, so make sure your program allows it if you want to do it.