Moonlighting at Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the formal/informal policy on this at Yale? Any current/future/former residents care to comment on the opportunities, and whether or not residents are permitted to moonlight as PGY-2? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also interested in the answer to this question..........any insight would be great!! Hell coming from the midwest, I'm wondering if I can even afford to live in New Haven ;)

You can live in New Haven cheaply. Part of New Haven is a very poor neighborhood and you should be able to find very cheap accomodation.

Sorry, can't help you out about the question about the moonlighting.

Yale's moonlighting policy is that you're only allowed to moonlight for weekend shifts at the VA. This is reserved for CA-2 and CA-3 (mostly 3s) since you must have rotated at the VA first before you can cover it alone. Therefore, moonlighting during PGY-2/CA-1 is technically not allowed.

As far as being able to afford living in New Haven, our salaries are pretty decent compared to the cost of living here in CT. You can rent in a nice suburban area affordably with our salaries. A good number of residents have even been able to purchase real estate in the area. Good luck to those of you coming here in the future!