moonlighting during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmoney

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you worked/is working during your residency program? I'm going into an ortho residency program next year but I was thinking about working on the weekends (on a saturday for example) if I could find an office that would hire me. Is that possible/common? thanks for your comments

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if any of you worked/is working during your residency program? I'm going into an ortho residency program next year but I was thinking about working on the weekends (on a saturday for example) if I could find an office that would hire me. Is that possible/common? thanks for your comments

In ortho it is definitely possible and fairly common to moonlight, however, equally common is the program director prohibiting their residents from moonlighting. Find out if the latter is the case at your program before you sign any contracts. Don't want to get yourself in a situation before you have even started the residency.

If you find an office to hire you, go for it. If you have a program policy that "forbids" it, well I don't know why it would be anyone's business whether you spend your Saturdays watching TV or cutting crown preps. Just make sure your office is flexible because we have attended national/regional courses and meetings sponsored by companies on Saturdays so you'd have to be able to be attend those and not cause suspicions.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your comments. The program I'm going to allows the residents to work afterhours or on the weekends in general dentistry/hygiene or as an ortho assistant. The program's rules and regulations booklet/protocol I had to sign said specifically I cant practice ortho outside of the program but it was ok for us to do GP and other stuff, which makes sense. I guess my concern is basically, how feasible is it to find someone who will hire you for one day a week (especially when I'm straight out of school)

One thing you could look into is taking emergency call on weekends for certain clinics or practices. The clinics here in MN usually pay 500-1000 a weekend. The residents take most of the call from home and sometimes don't get called in all weekend.

Honestly DMONEY, it is obvious that you are just being an intense gunner. First you get into ortho, then you need to moonlight to show how great you are??? And bragging about it on student doctor? Pathetic ......

Who are you proving this to? Does your father not respect you or something?

Honestly DMONEY, it is obvious that you are just being an intense gunner. First you get into ortho, then you need to moonlight to show how great you are??? And bragging about it on student doctor? Pathetic ......

Nobody moonlights to show how great they are. Most people moonlight because of how broke they are.

vankras,

You're some psychiatrist. Are you a dental student, too?

Whoa, buddy. Call off the dogs.

How does moonlighting work if your residency is in New York? You do it in New Jersey and which Hospitals generally do moonlighting???

shouldn't be too hard to find work, as most full-time dentists prefer not to work on weekends. medicaid clinics have high turnover and may be easier to find work with.

thanks for your comments. The program I'm going to allows the residents to work afterhours or on the weekends in general dentistry/hygiene or as an ortho assistant. The program's rules and regulations booklet/protocol I had to sign said specifically I cant practice ortho outside of the program but it was ok for us to do GP and other stuff, which makes sense. I guess my concern is basically, how feasible is it to find someone who will hire you for one day a week (especially when I'm straight out of school)

I'll be moonlighting in my sleep folks. If you can do it go for it:thumbup:

In ortho it is definitely possible and fairly common to moonlight, however, equally common is the program director prohibiting their residents from moonlighting. Find out if the latter is the case at your program before you sign any contracts. Don't want to get yourself in a situation before you have even started the residency.

Two or three ortho programs that I know of have the policy that the only formal restiriction placed on moonlighting is that you don't moonlight as an orthodontist (seems pretty obvious). No specific qualms about moonlighting as a gp, as long as it doesn't get in the way of any residency commitments.

Bottom line is that if you want to work, you'll likely be able to find something and make a few $ as well.