Moonlighting for FM residents? where to look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leonardsean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for Moonlighting opportunities without much success. I'm a 3rd year FM resident. I have an independent license in PA, my own DEA license with Buprenorphine waiver, but am having no luck.

Local Urgent cares want board eligible residency grads. or full time.

Local suboxone clinics that have offered moonlighting opportunities are having trouble credentialling me, as the insurance companies won't reimburse for non-graduate, non-board eligible physicians...

Local ER's that have hired FM residents in the past for midlevel shifts are drying up...

Meanwhile as expenses climb and resident compensation remains stable (at 1/2 of what midlevels make per year, for doing the same job while we work twice the number of hours per week with a much larger loan burden), it's getting impossible to make ends meet...

Thanks,

--Sean

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking for Moonlighting opportunities without much success. I'm a 3rd year FM resident. I have an independent license in PA, my own DEA license with Buprenorphine waiver, but am having no luck.

Local Urgent cares want board eligible residency grads. or full time.

Local suboxone clinics that have offered moonlighting opportunities are having trouble credentialling me, as the insurance companies won't reimburse for non-graduate, non-board eligible physicians...

Local ER's that have hired FM residents in the past for midlevel shifts are drying up...

Meanwhile as expenses climb and resident compensation remains stable (at 1/2 of what midlevels make per year, for doing the same job while we work twice the number of hours per week with a much larger loan burden), it's getting impossible to make ends meet...

Thanks,

--Sean
As there are two sides to a red balance sheet, how are your expenses rising? Making $45-55k you should be able to pay bills

Reactions: 1 user
Our health insurance contribution went up (Thanks Obama). My daughter is going to preschool 3 days/week now. I have to pay for family medicine boards this year, a conference in which to take the oral portion, plane fare, hotel costs. I'm also attempting to follow FM residency with a second residency in psychiatry and spent $1600 in ERAS costs plus going on interviews. I had to buy a new-to-me car because after replacing the main seal in my prior car for $1000+, it continued leaking, and then failed, I had to drop another $1000 down payment, plus pick up a car loan. My student loan contribution also went up significantly over the last year because if you file your taxes jointly with your spouse they take her income into consideration to calculate your "Pay as you Earn" Loan payment. Is that enough or should I mention how one of our rental units has been unoccupied x 6 months now. Despite the amount of money expended to perform necessary repairs...

(Sorry, rant over).
--Sean

Also, our program pays closer to the $45,000 range.

Members don't see this ad :)

Really? That’s unfortunate :/ I was hoping to do some of that myself (internal medicine)

Really? That’s unfortunate :/ I was hoping to do some of that myself (internal medicine)
Maybe it's better in your neck of the woods...It may be just a function of the place I applied is having so much turnover in the recruitment department that my application is floundering...Best of luck.

--Sean

Could you start your own cash buprenorphine clinic?

Could you start your own cash buprenorphine clinic?
Not as a resident. The Buprenorphine waiver only allows you to write for 30 scripts per month the first year of the waiver, I would have to get an office, and the overhead would be cost-prohibitive especially given the hour restrictions for moonlighting...

So Family med residents can't moonlight? EM residents can double if not triple their salary by moonlighting, but FM residents have no opportunities?

--Sean

Our health insurance contribution went up (Thanks Obama). My daughter is going to preschool 3 days/week now. I have to pay for family medicine boards this year, a conference in which to take the oral portion, plane fare, hotel costs. I'm also attempting to follow FM residency with a second residency in psychiatry and spent $1600 in ERAS costs plus going on interviews. I had to buy a new-to-me car because after replacing the main seal in my prior car for $1000+, it continued leaking, and then failed, I had to drop another $1000 down payment, plus pick up a car loan. My student loan contribution also went up significantly over the last year because if you file your taxes jointly with your spouse they take her income into consideration to calculate your "Pay as you Earn" Loan payment. Is that enough or should I mention how one of our rental units has been unoccupied x 6 months now. Despite the amount of money expended to perform necessary repairs...

(Sorry, rant over).
--Sean

Also, our program pays closer to the $45,000 range.
Sounds rough....couple options/possibilities

Rentals? What’s the cash flow of your portfolio? Can you ditch one or more and get cash out

Worst case scenario, deferral....it sucks but is better than starving

How far a drive are you calling local? 45 min, 2hr, 4hr?

Have you tried calling hospitalist groups to see if they need occasional sick/vacation coverage? Or night float?.....how about local family practices?

So you have two incomes? And still have trouble with expenses? Regardless of the extra expenses you describe, you should be able to make ends meet.

I moonlit at my residency as cross coverage (answer pages all night for non-teaching), nocturnist shifts and admitting for heme/onc swing shift - paid well ($100/hr). Best place to check is your home institution- already credentialed and have malpractice.

You could do surveys, pays about 1-2k per year - not much but helps a little.

The problem is malpractice - your residency isn’t going to cover you (and provide tail) in a system that are not controlling. You can look for/at urgent cares, local EDs, swing shift coverage as Hospitalist for local hospitals, but you need malpractice (some recruiters/services provide some coverage)

If you’re hurting, you could sign a contract with a stipend/sign on bonus to provide a chunk of cash fairly quickly - problem obviously is you’re tied in to a job for x duration.

Good luck

Last edited:
To OP, you might have to travel if you're in a metro area to find a rural area to provide coverage in.

Where I trained, urgent cares loved residents (infact it was solely run by residents afiak), and they paid "great" based on what we did ($70/hr), and the patient load varied from (3.5-6 an hour). Obviously $70 isn't much, but its much higher than a resident.