Moonlighting in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleMinnie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Checking out programs while preparing to apply this coming cycle, and some advertise moonlighting for upper level residents. I have a stay at home spouse with kids at home, so the idea of bringing home a little more cash to meet family finances sounds nice. Can anyone comment on whether or not moonlighting opportunities are worth considering when comparing programs? I would imagine there would be no way to do it during rotations like Head & Neck, but maybe during research months or softer rotations?

Thanks for any and all input!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My program offers moonlighting, and it is usually done during lighter rotations or research like you said. However, when talking to senior residents, they said that residents in our program in particular may not be able to moonlight in the future after the switch to 6 mo of ENT since we do not have as much familiarity with lines, etc. So, I think its good to look at, but I do not think it will be a dealbreaker.

There are multiple moonlighting opportunities. Our program allows those PGY2 and higher who are in good academic standing to moonlight. Opportunities which come to mind including night float at smaller hospitals, ER coverage, doing disability H&P and reviewing documents from home, etc.

In my opinion, any Otolaryngology training program that has enough time to moonlight is a program that does not have you busy enough learning ENT. As someone who finished residency within the last few years, I recommend that you put all of your efforts into learning ENT. My program did not allow it, we simply did not have time. Moonlighting hours count towards your 80 hours, and we already had to "stretch" those 80 hours to be compliant.

For the most part, the more patients you see, surgeries you do, clinics you staff, hours you log - the less holes in training you will have when you leave the academic palace. You are going to be compensated handsomely when you finish. If you have free time, spend it with your family. Or read KJ Lee.