Moonlighting programs....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gas-gal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondered what you guys thought about programs that allow moonlighting...is this a big factor you consider while ranking?...Also what programs allow MLing?

Members don't see this ad.

there are 3 pgs of threads if you search for moonlighting in the anesthesiology forum. It figures into my rank list - i know that might seem shallow - but i am older with a 2 yr old and may need extra money. In addition to the 3 pgs of threads - there is a column in the frieda information section if you search for anesthesiology programs that say Y/N for moonlighting - although some programs don't fill out the frieda questionaire completely. The programs off the top of my head that I know offer moonlighting in house are:
Ochsner, UAB, VCU, MCG (not a lot though).

Seriously though - search the forum especially the interview review threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:
In addition, UTSW, Vandy, WashU all offer internal moonlighting shifts, essentially CRNA shifts.

Can't believe I forgot vandy - it's even high up on my ROL!

What is the status of moonlighting at Hopkins?

Loyola BUILDS moonlighting into the program:

for CA-2s and CA-3s who have passed step 3, completed a month of OB and completed a month of CT, the program pays you $50.00/hr. for REGULARLY scheduled call if it falls on a weekend.

Also, you can volunteer for liver transplant call and get $50.00/day for holding the pager and $50.00/hr. if you get called in.

It's a sweet program, to boot!

Good luck.

Hockeyguy said:
No moonlighting at Hopkins - according to the chief resident Dr Wong.

Bobby also mentioned that he's not sure anyone has really tried. They mentioned no outsied moonlighting in gas (obviously) but couldnt comment on whether the program would allow you to work at Doc-in-the-box if you had your own license, insurance, etc.

UVa has internal moonlighting too...$60/hr for the weekend elective schedule. Plus, they pay $60/hr for any PACU holds you may have.

Probably the sweetest deal I encountered was at UAB. They pay "overtime": you get $60/hr anytime you're in a room after 3 pm. Plus you can sign up for extra calls and make more cash...one of the CA-3s says he'll make over 100 grand this year because of it. He's even got a housekeeper. :thumbup:

no oxygen said:
UVa has internal moonlighting too...$60/hr for the weekend elective schedule. Plus, they pay $60/hr for any PACU holds you may have.

Probably the sweetest deal I encountered was at UAB. They pay "overtime": you get $60/hr anytime you're in a room after 3 pm. Plus you can sign up for extra calls and make more cash...one of the CA-3s says he'll make over 100 grand this year because of it. He's even got a housekeeper. :thumbup:

No one at UVA mentioned that to me. In fact, I was told by Dr. Bau, that moonlighting was forbidden.

The UAB deal is definitely sweet.

WVU. haven't heard much about this program here, but they allow moonlighting. i went to check them out and it seems like a nice smaller program (on probation now but seems to be on track to fixing all problems).

anyway, no time for a full review, but re: moonlighting. they have a Saturday 8-4 shift where you basically come in to help run rooms (trauma/emergent/leftover electives) and make a cool $1000. there is also a Saturday/Sunday (i think all day both days) shift where you carry the pager at home and come in only if you are needed in addition to the help already there. this can be anything from a busy weekend to watching TV all weekend and not going in at all if it's quiet. again, $1000. good money if you ask me. Good looking hospital as well.

Idiopathic said:
No one at UVA mentioned that to me. In fact, I was told by Dr. Bau, that moonlighting was forbidden.

The UAB deal is definitely sweet.

Yep, it's true at UVa...they even expanded the number of moonlighting spots to 2-3 per weekend. I heard this from a couple different residents when I was there. I never met Dr. Bau...not sure what that's about, Idio. Maybe he was referring to external moonlighting as opposed to that done within the department?

no oxygen said:
Yep, it's true at UVa...they even expanded the number of moonlighting spots to 2-3 per weekend. I heard this from a couple different residents when I was there. I never met Dr. Bau...not sure what that's about, Idio. Maybe he was referring to external moonlighting as opposed to that done within the department?

Should have been Dr. Baum. Typo there. He was pretty adamant, but perhaps he meant external. Regardless, I loved UVA..

Columbia allows moonlighting after completion of OB rotation.

How about the other Chicago programs?