Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcademicDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a highly specialized junior faculty at a small university but interviewing to move to a big-name university. As I live in a remote state, my current pay is better than the usual academics. If I decide to move to the big-name university, I need to moonlight somewhere to make up for the difference in pay.

Do you think seeing a faculty moonlighting in a small hospital is strange? Or is it common practice among faculty?
Does anyone have suggestions on improving your income while working at a university?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a highly specialized junior faculty at a small university but interviewing to move to a big-name university. As I live in a remote state, my current pay is better than the usual academics. If I decide to move to the big-name university, I need to moonlight somewhere to make up for the difference in pay.

Do you think seeing a faculty moonlighting in a small hospital is strange? Or is it common practice among faculty?
Does anyone have suggestions on improving your income while working at a university?

Thanks
I'm not in academia but more likely your new contract may be restrictive than anything to moonlight at smaller nearby hospitals.
Perhaps consulting in drug development, expert panels or boring medical surveys in oncology.

Last edited:
Sometimes you can moonlight as hospitalist over the weekend for the Internal Medicine team, possibly can check with your institution.
In our university program where I trained that was the norm as salaries were only average.