Moonlighting...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychFuture

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best resources for tracking down moonlighting opportunities? I hate to step on any one's toes within my program.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on where you are, this info may not be very useful.
Some places only require a resident to have a medical license to moonlight, some other places require the moonlighter to be a 4th year or board eligible. I would start with calling all the area hospitals, public or private, especially county facilities. For those, you will need to apply for priviledges. Then, I know the disability office is always seeking psychiatrists to do evaluations. I suppose if you search in Google for medical evaluation, disability...etc, this will probably turn up for the area you are in. Disability office outsource this work, so there are companies that hire physicians to evaluate patients, then dictate reports...etc. I think most companies will want you to work a full day on weekends, and they line up patient after patient, you get paid for each patient you see and dictate. I think they end up being abot $60 an hour here in California.
Also, go to the local job fair for psychiatrists, someone is always looking for moonlighters.

PsychFuture said:
What are the best resources for tracking down moonlighting opportunities? I hate to step on any one's toes within my program.

what's moonlighting?

Members don't see this ad :)
L8DYV said:
what's moonlighting?
Fresh off the boat. :laugh:

A term used to describe after hours work done while in residency, usually for an hourly wage. For example, after your internship year you might be able to pick up a weekend shift in the ER at a local hospital or do legal work providing consultaltion, etc. I have heard of some residents making up to 5k a month moonlighting.
Now this is not to be confused with mooning or moonshining (which has the potential of being much more lucrative http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46852).

Triathlon said:
Fresh off the boat. :laugh:

A term used to describe after hours work done while in residency, usually for an hourly wage. For example, after your internship year you might be able to pick up a weekend shift in the ER at a local hospital or do legal work providing consultaltion, etc. I have heard of some residents making up to 5k a month moonlighting.
Now this is not to be confused with mooning or moonshining (which has the potential of being much more lucrative http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46852).

:laugh: :laugh: We can use my bathtub! 50/50?

Seriously though, have you moonlighted? If one has no experience in the ER, how would we as psych residents really fit in? Unless we work in a psychiatric capacity for that particular ER?

Solideliquid said:
:laugh: :laugh: We can use my bathtub! 50/50?

Seriously though, have you moonlighted? If one has no experience in the ER, how would we as psych residents really fit in? Unless we work in a psychiatric capacity for that particular ER?

solid, you do the psych consults for the er - its common place at my residency and at yours - in fact, at yours they're making buku bucks and payinbg off their loans :eek: :cool: :cool:

Poety said:
solid, you do the psych consults for the er - its common place at my residency and at yours - in fact, at yours they're making buku bucks and payinbg off their loans :eek: :cool: :cool:

oohhhhh! Watch me finance my PS3!

Can you moonlight within psychiatry if you have a state medical license, but have not completed a psych residency yet, and are not presently enrolled in a psych residency program (i.e. taking a year off while transferring to a new program the following year)?

Can you moonlight within psychiatry if you have a state medical license, but have not completed a psych residency yet, and are not presently enrolled in a psych residency program (i.e. taking a year off while transferring to a new program the following year)?

It's going to depend on the job. I will say that both of the moonlighting jobs I had required some degree of credentialling--which basically equals the "blessing" of your current program via letters of recommendation and certification of standing, etc. Your situation might complicate this, although there are probably places desperate enough to look the other way...

I'm applying for my license now so that I can moonlight right away by fourth year. (That's when we're allowed to start). I really wish we had in-house moonlighting. Would make my life a lot easier.

I have friends that do house visits for health insurance claiments, looking for coverage. They go there, do basic exams, and collect specimins if indicated, and get paid around $80/visit. Not great money, I know, when you consider running around the city. But they are able to choose from a list which places they will go to, so they keep it local and hit around 4-5 on a Saturday and still have time to hit the pubs at night....

Around here people find out about moonlighting opportunities by word of mouth and by calling up directors of psychiatry of the community hospitals. In NYC and the surrounding counties, the community hospitals that don't have psychiatry residencies will have moonlighting psychiatrists paid to cover the ER and inpatient psych units overnight and on the weekends. My experience is that these places are always looking for per diem psychiatrists and have lots of shifts available (although not always the prime Saturday 8am to Sunday 8am shift that everybody wants). The credentialling process can vary in its length by hospital, but usually involves some form of a letter of reference from your residency director, 2 letters of recommendation, copies of you DEA/license/med school diploma, and a lengthy application.

MBK2003

I think that this topic will definitely be of interest to future applicants, so can any current applicants post what they have been told (on the interview trail) regarding the moonlighting situation at specific residencies?

For example:

Program name?
Is it allowed or not?
If allowed, when can you start (3rd year, 4th year, etc.)?
In house, outside, or both?
If in-house, what is the pay?
Do you have to purchase your own insurance?

It has been said before, "that Harley, PS3, or whatever, isn't paying for itself." If enough people contribute to this thread, we might get an idea of how much extra income can be generated at certain programs for the sufficiently motivated resident.

Moonlighting at San Mateo County Mental Health Services is permitted following PGYI year and when residents obtain their license & pass Step III. Residents can work up to 80 additional hours per month at $75 an hour. 80 x 75 = $6000/month x 12 months = potentially $72,000/year + base salary (PGYII apx $52,000).
Past Residents have potential to supplement their income significantly through these opportunities, while also learning quite a bit in our emergency psychiatric facility, inpatient wards, outpatient jail, and competency evaluations for jail.
Insurance is provided as long as you stay in the county.
All of the opportunities described are in the county (either at the San Mateo County Hospital or at Maguire Jail)

Hope this helps.

Thanks meelu.

I heard of residents in rural Arkansas making $1000-2000 a night moonlighting at community hospitals.

I'm starting to collect some resources for NYC moonlighting opportunities. I can start this July and could use the money. :D

Any suggestions for this area ?

I'm starting to collect some resources for NYC moonlighting opportunities. I can start this July and could use the money. :D

Any suggestions for this area ?

5 Boroughs:
Gracie Square Hospital
Holliswood Hospital
Woodhull Hospital
Lenox Hill Hospital
Bellevue CPEP and weekend note writers on inpatient units

Westchester County:
Mount Vernon Hospital
St. Joseph's Medical Center
St. Vincent's Harrison

MBK2003