Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thone2k

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has come up before. But my search did not produce relevant results. Are Rad onc residents allowed to moonlight? If so, what are the requirements to do so? Which yr can you start? any limitations imposed by the program? and how much can it help you financially during the residency yeaers?

I would like something specific to the northeast area residency programs. But any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes they are. the limits are by program and by state. at harvard we have recently clamped down a little because there were issues with residents anxious to leave to go to do moonlighting work. Poor ethic. Aside from the notion of faithfully finishing the job you were hired to do, doctors must realize care doesnt end by the clock when its convienent. Even as a resident you must "own" your patient. However the moonlighting policy is still among the most liberal At JHH there was no moonlighting allowed in my day because of fear of the 80 hour work week potentially being violation and for less specific vagurities.

Thanks stephew for your reply. As you all know that most of us in the medical field will be on average 27 yrs old when entering residency. For me, thats around the time, I would be thinking about getting married or taking on more responsibilities. So, one of my concerns is financial security. So planning ahead, I would like to know if moonlighting can significantly add to my income. If not, then I can think about other venues (eg stock market, real estate etc). And what, if anything I can do during my clinical years and internship to better my chances of obtaining such (moonlighting) positions?
What are some groups that hire you? I read somewhere that radiology groups are a potential emplyer. Is that true?

Thanks again..

Members don't see this ad :)
you wont be qualified to read for radiology however you can sit while they admin contrast in case of reaction.

Does anyone else have input on any moonlighting opportunities available to rad onc residents that you have heard of?

Assuming you have passed step III during intern year, can you moonlight for internal medicine?

here are potential opportunities for radonc residents that i know of:

* contrast administration
* moonlighting as an intern/medicine resident at an academic hospital
* during pgy-5 year, you can moonlight as a radiation oncologist

good (ie easy jobs) they are hard to come by, because they tend to be coveted and held closely/away from outsiders.

there are several drawbacks to moonlighting during residency:
*possibly stigma by PD
*trying to focus on radonc as opposed to $$$
*cost of getting state licensure, dea license, and possibly insurance

i moonlighted as a medicine resident at a top univ program in their ICU since i had 2 years of medicine under my belt. got paid $70/hour for a 24 hour shift on weekends. i had an intern below meit was difficult to coordinate shifts, call schedule, time for friends/family, studying, and rest. i did a few shifts but i realized i wasnt keeping on top of the latest trends in IM...so i stopped.