"More" BCPM Questions (I searched and failed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here I go:
1) Does anatomy and physiolgy count towards BCPM? I would assume so, especially considering the first year of med is tons of a&p, but its not categorized under biology at my school so I figured I'd ask.
2) When you have a bad grade due to outside circumstances (which can be explained away in a PS) and you retake the class and do great, does ADCOM just keep both classes in GPA as if you completed both courses, or do they "average the two"?*
3) BCPM includes ALL BCPM courses, right? Not just the premed prerequisite courses of gchem,ochem,phys,calc and bio?

* In short, I had a rough semester and couldn't put any time toward a class. It was supposed to be dropped and was not. However, now I'm stuck with a D in a class I could get an A in :( It was a physics class...I aced the first three tests and then the crap hit the fan and I couldn't put any time in. The drop didn't happen and ended up having to take a D in the class. I was originally told it would be taken care of... now nobody cares. They said they'll "remove it from my GPA calculation, but not my transcript" which does me absolutely no good!!

The result, my overall dropped from 3.84 to 3.72 and my BCPM dropped from 3.79 to 3.57. Luckily, as a newly converted bio major (and premed), I have plenty of biology courses to raise my BCPM assuming all bcpm courses apply to bcpm and not just their designated courses**

** I believe I know the answer to this. It seems self-evident, but I need confirmation, that's all :)

So, as you can see, whether or not all bcpm courses count, whether or not a&p counts toward bcpm, and whether or not they average the two courses can make a significant impact on my BCPM calculation. So, i appreciate any and all reply's and would like to extend a thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

tncekm said:
Okay, here I go:
1) Does anatomy and physiolgy count towards BCPM? I would assume so, especially considering the first year of med is tons of a&p, but its not categorized under biology at my school so I figured I'd ask.
2) When you have a bad grade due to outside circumstances (which can be explained away in a PS) and you retake the class and do great, does ADCOM just keep both classes in GPA as if you completed both courses, or do they "average the two"?*
3) BCPM includes ALL BCPM courses, right? Not just the premed prerequisite courses of gchem,ochem,phys,calc and bio?

1) Yes. Anatomy and Physiology are clearly listed under Biology in the AMCAS instructions under Course Classifications, p. 76.

2) Adcom stands for Admissions Commitee. I think you mean AMCAS. Anywho, the answer is yes to both; they keep both classes in the GPA and they average the two (just as any other two courses are "averaged"). So, no, a retake doesn't ever replace a bad grade. (In other words, the "average" doesn't count as one grade, it counts as two...every class you ever took is averaged into your grade point.)

3) Yes.

I know what it's like to have a bad grade mess up your GPA. It's not the end of the world, especially in your case. Your grades are strong with or without the D.

Zoom-Zoom said:
1) Yes. Anatomy and Physiology are clearly listed under Biology in the AMCAS instructions under Course Classifications, p. 76.

2) Adcom stands for Admissions Commitee. I think you mean AMCAS. Anywho, the answer is yes to both; they keep both classes in the GPA and they average the two (just as any other two courses are "averaged"). So, no, a retake doesn't ever replace a bad grade. (In other words, the "average" doesn't count as one grade, it counts as two...every class you ever took is averaged into your grade point.)

3) Yes.

I know what it's like to have a bad grade mess up your GPA. It's not the end of the world, especially in your case. Your grades are strong with or without the D.
1) Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! I had not found that pdf before, that's very helpful!
2) My bad :) I had heard they average it, but I was hoping they'd take the A and the D and give a grade factor of 2.5 x 4 units vs. a 1 x 4 and a 4 x 4 included in my overall. The maximum potential with the average I was hoping for is so much better :D
3) Awesome!

Thanks again! Its time for me to bust my butt! (I'm probably going to take my MCAT without taking physics 2 (if my practice tests are sufficient)). When I decided to dedicate my life to this goal, I have to admit I was a bit suprised at what it takes. I've got to finish ochem and physics, do research, volunteer/shadow, and study for the mcat! However, that's great for me. I thrive off of competition and challenge and can otherwise be easily bored to death. K, I'm done rambling...I'm just excited about getting into this field. Now that I've researched being a doctor, I just can't be anything else and it has nothing to do with pay. I know I'm gonna be a great doctor and this entire experience of preparing for something I'm actually passionate about is great!

tncekm said:
When I decided to dedicate my life to this goal, I have to admit I was a bit suprised at what it takes. I've got to finish ochem and physics, do research, volunteer/shadow, and study for the mcat! However, that's great for me. I thrive off of competition and challenge and can otherwise be easily bored to death. I'm just excited about getting into this field. Now that I've researched being a doctor, I just can't be anything else and it has nothing to do with pay. I know I'm gonna be a great doctor and this entire experience of preparing for something I'm actually passionate about is great!

Good luck to you. :luck: I hope that most future doctors have the same attitude as you.