More competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabBrat04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this email from my pre-health advisor today... they aren't gonna let me in!!! :scared:

PharmCAS One Year Later: Applications Up Significantly
excerpted from AACP News, Volume 35, April 2004

By Elisabeth J. Ross

PharmCAS has enjoyed a successful first year of operation, with the volume of pharmacy school applications exceeding projections in the AACP business plan. PharmCAS member schools report more applications received, efficiencies gained through use of the service, and greater geographic diversity in applicants.

By March 15, 2004, there were 21,914 individual PharmCAS accounts created in the system for 43 participating colleges and schools, which include 24 public institutions and 19 private institutions. Of the nearly 22,000 accounts, nearly 14,000 submitted a completed application to PharmCAS and paid the appropriate fee. The average PharmCAS application to applicant ratio was 3.2. The AACP business plan projected 10,500 paid PharmCAS applicants and an average applications to applicant ratio of 3.0.

The increase in pharmacy applications may reflect a higher ratio of applications per applicant as well as growing interest in the profession. There were 25,546 PCAT registrants in 2003 as compared with 15,042 in 2002, which reflects a 70 percent increase in the number of test-takers.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info. I find the numbers interesting. The piece of information omitted was how many seats there are for the 14,000 people who actually completed a pharmcas application. What is the average seats at any given school, 100+?

pharmel said:
Thanks for the info. I find the numbers interesting. The piece of information omitted was how many seats there are for the 14,000 people who actually completed a pharmcas application. What is the average seats at any given school, 100+?

I'm guessing with 43 schools on PHARMCAS and each class about 100+, maybe over 4300 seats? That's really competitive... Is medical school THAT competitive? Although there are more applicants to med schoo, there seems to be more seats there.

UT-Frank said:
I'm guessing with 43 schools on PHARMCAS and each class about 100+, maybe over 4300 seats? That's really competitive... Is medical school THAT competitive? Although there are more applicants to med schoo, there seems to be more seats there.

There are also more med schools than pharmacy schools. ;)