More difficult to learn when older?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowerOfWill

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a developmental psych class I took last semester we looked at the cognitive functions over the aging period. Obviously most start to decline at some point as the aging process picks up speed, while one or two cognitive functions (I forget) actually increase with age.

I'm 31 and an undergrad sophomore. Last semester I took prerequisites at a technical college to transfer to the state university. That semester I had all As, one A-. Also an A in a very intensive summer course re: biology in historical context. It took work and time, but doesn't it always..

Anyway now I'm taking actual science courses for the first time since high school, At first I struggled to catch up to the rest of my classmates who are obviously all fresh out of high school. I spend many, many hours studying and feel caught up, but I still struggle with absorbing everything.

Pre-calc algebra is going very poorly. I can understand the methods and the next day not remember a thing. I can nail assignments for a week but come time for an exam the following week, I found that I hadn't retained much, at all. My grade in that class is abysmal and will require tutoring every single day to hopefully end up with a B. Now I find out calculus is required for a biology or chemistry major at my school, and it's more than daunting.

I'm ironing out my study habits and putting in brutal hours and effort. I can't help but feel it's more difficult now than it would have been ten years ago. I'm treading water, and barely.

Not sure if I'm looking for advice, affirmation, motivation, or what.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i understand you are older. but are you on an equal footing with the younger students? is your course load the same? or are you doing full course load, and then a bunch of catch up work?

a couple of things,

i did the MCAT exam recently, i'm much older than you, and i haven't taken some of the key pre-req's. guaranteed i'll have to take the exam twice to get a good MCAT score. and if i wanted to get into elite med school, i would have definitely voided the first attempt... i know i will do much much better the next time. i guarantee it as i will be relearning things i already know (not the case the first time, and basically i had 8 weeks to study)... my basic point is that as older student/applicant, you probably have to count on doing things differently.

have you thought of buying schaum's, AP etc. books on pre-calc, calc (and for that matter all the scientific subjects). they have tons and tons of questions of differing difficulty..... frankly, something like schaum's or AP's chemistry is pretty much the MCAT curriculum (you probably need the actual content books to fill in some gaps)

Everyone learns differently. The only disadvantage you have is not being in school recently. Also, most student in pre-algebra have literally already learned everything that will be covered in that course during their high school years. Do not let this discourage you. I struggled compared to most of my classmates but I made up for it by going to tutoring every single day, usually multiple times a day.
My general advice? Go to tutoring, figure out why you got a question wrong, and practice like crazy to make sure it doesn't happen on test day. Be sure to "Preview" each lecture before class and review it immediately after. Also, take advantage of YouTube videos as these will help you far more than a single professor can. Most undergraduate level courses are the same at all institutions in regards to the level and detail of material covered so any video with a lot of views should suffice.

Members don't see this ad :)
for what it's worth, i think i'd learn better as older person in a good environment.......

of course, i think that people learn things much better today. a jeopardy player of 30 years ago i think would get smoked in today's game. world has so much more info right at our fingertips

I learn more easily the older I get. 31 yo aswell

Reactions: 1 users
All things being equal, yes, I think the science points to the brain peaking around (at least in some areas of function) the mid 20's. That said, I also think the offset from poor diet, lack of exercise, etc is worse. So, if you compared two brains in complete isolation, yes, it is probably more difficult, but when you change just a few variables (like more efficient study habits, diet, etc) then no, I don't think there is any reason your older-self couldn't keep up with your younger self.

In a developmental psych class I took last semester we looked at the cognitive functions over the aging period. Obviously most start to decline at some point as the aging process picks up speed, while one or two cognitive functions (I forget) actually increase with age.

I'm 31 and an undergrad sophomore. Last semester I took prerequisites at a technical college to transfer to the state university. That semester I had all As, one A-. Also an A in a very intensive summer course re: biology in historical context. It took work and time, but doesn't it always..

Anyway now I'm taking actual science courses for the first time since high school, At first I struggled to catch up to the rest of my classmates who are obviously all fresh out of high school. I spend many, many hours studying and feel caught up, but I still struggle with absorbing everything.

Pre-calc algebra is going very poorly. I can understand the methods and the next day not remember a thing. I can nail assignments for a week but come time for an exam the following week, I found that I hadn't retained much, at all. My grade in that class is abysmal and will require tutoring every single day to hopefully end up with a B. Now I find out calculus is required for a biology or chemistry major at my school, and it's more than daunting.

I'm ironing out my study habits and putting in brutal hours and effort. I can't help but feel it's more difficult now than it would have been ten years ago. I'm treading water, and barely.

Not sure if I'm looking for advice, affirmation, motivation, or what.

I feel like I can remember(learn) better now, being older. I’m 29.

To put into context, when I was pursuing my UG, I was burnt out. Was raising my son as a single mother since HS, working full time, taking multiple buses, went to a CC and then finished at the university. Looking back, probably would have taken 1-2 years off after HS. I was just my mentally exhausted.

Was working in Accounting for a few years, then decided to take these last 2 years off to take care of my family. I actually feel more ready(to pursue Medicine) because now I am in a better place. And I think being a non traditional student makes you feel like you want to rush. I would say if possible next semester take 2 maybe 3 classes. 8cr is a good amount especially if you are working FT with a family. Since grades are so important for admissions, it’s better to take 2 classes and get As then 3-4 and get Bs and Cs.

If you need some extra help, I recommend, Michael Van Biezan from YouTube(he is a genius!) You will actually understand how to apply the information he teaches. ;)

For me, it’s really important that I understand the ‘why’ behind the concepts I’m learning, and not just memorizing facts. I’m not sure if that’s because I’m older (38), or if that’s just my learning style.

I do notice that I tend to make connections better than my younger classmates. That could be due to simply having been exposed to more over my extra years, or having read more.

one thing i will say is if you have to learn a subject or two quite fast for the MCAT, you will not learn as well as if you learnt it over a relax 4 year period (upper level courses you are reviewing and applying what you learnt in lower level courses --------> this does lend itself to "understanding the material", and things like labs (4 year university) are so complementary to book/lecture learning.

one thing about older candidates. (although many would be younger than this comment alludes to), all we had were course notes, there were no flash cards, there were no books with 1000's of Q's readily available.......... all we had were often skimpy lecture notes (HS especially)...so make sure you avail of yourself of all that's avail/possible today

as is the advice everywhere, tons of questions..............

I’m more mature, healthier, more focused, etc now than I was in my twenties. I definitely have no problem learning. I’m sure if I was this heathly and focused in my twenties I would have learned faster (I’m 34 now), but I don’t feel like I’ve slowed down at all.

I’ve also learned how I learn best, and that’s really key.

I’m more mature, healthier, more focused, etc now than I was in my twenties. I definitely have no problem learning. I’m sure if I was this heathly and focused in my twenties I would have learned faster (I’m 34 now), but I don’t feel like I’ve slowed down at all. I’ve also learned how I learn best, and that’s really key.
I do notice that I tend to make connections better than my younger classmates. That could be due to simply having been exposed to more over my extra years, or having read more.

Both of these are definitely true of me. I never learned how to study as a young student (because I was one of those annoying people who never needed to study). I got through paramedic school without ever even opening the textbook: just went to class, payed moderate attention, applied stuff in clinicals. Our valedictorian beat me by only two grade points, and I aced my licensing exams first time through. I definitely can't get away with that now. Figuring out how to trick my jerk of an ADD brain into learning stuff was essential. And the years of clinical and life experience really help me connect to the material and put it in context. I'm working hard now, and I've certainly had my share of duh-I-knew-that! moments, but I'm keeping up with my 22 year old classmates in most areas, and surpassing them in many.

Both of these are definitely true of me. I never learned how to study as a young student (because I was one of those annoying people who never needed to study). I got through paramedic school without ever even opening the textbook: just went to class, payed moderate attention, applied stuff in clinicals. Our valedictorian beat me by only two grade points, and I aced my licensing exams first time through. I definitely can't get away with that now. Figuring out how to trick my jerk of an ADD brain into learning stuff was essential. And the years of clinical and life experience really help me connect to the material and put it in context. I'm working hard now, and I've certainly had my share of duh-I-knew-that! moments, but I'm keeping up with my 22 year old classmates in most areas, and surpassing them in many.

That’s how I was. I never studied in college. I didn’t have to study very much in my postbacc either but I forced myself to so that I could figure out how to study for med school and the MCAT. Very glad I did. I’m taking grad courses now as part of my smp, and it’s a great opportunity to really adjust my style to med school material. It would suck to not have that foundation and dedication already though.