More good news for pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU Pathology

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 2012 article in the Archives of Internal Medicine evaluated physician burnout and satisfaction among US physicians. The full article is available on line PMID 22911330. This was a large survey collecting data from more than 7000 physicians including nearly 200 pathologists (table 1). Figure 1 shows that pathology has a low rate of burnout compared to most other specialties. In fact, pathology was the 4th lowest in terms of reported burnout. There were also high scores on satisfaction that addressed the question of whether work leaves enough time for personal or family life (Figure 2).

One thing that was interesting is the correlation of the pathology data with preventative medicine. The 2012 AAMC physician specialty databook shows that preventative medicine has the highest percentage of active physicians over the age of 55 and pathology has the second highest percentage. Both groups also have low reported rates of burnout and high satisfaction with their professional lives.

Medical students considering a career in pathology should be aware that pathologists are satisfied with their jobs and report a low rate of burnout. It is probably very safe to say that the survey was not answered by most of the people who frequently post on SDN (please note sarcasm).

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Chair and Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a bright spot Dan, thanks.

Another bright spot is Ben Bernanke and his "news" today. I made an absolute TON of $ in the market today.BEN I LOVE YOU! Keep that easy money flowing!

So another + in the Pathology column is you can check your portfolios while you work:)

~LADOC feeling good and positive today.

This is great news indeed, but with that said... do you think that this somehow correlates with average age to retirement for a pathologist? Something about prying a pathologist's cold, dead hands away from the scope...

As a recent fellowship graduate, I have to say that I have am pretty satisfied with my professional life despite the fact that I am not doing what I had anticipated (which was 100% heme).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is TERRIBLE NEWS!!!!!!!

Satisfied pathologists DO NOT RETIRE!!!! Please, WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!! This is just more evidence that CAP is in cahoots with ACADEMIA to STEAL ALL OUR CHEESE. More pathologists means MORE competition, which means soon, Pathologists will only be able to make $0.50/88305!!!! I hear some people are actually paying to sign out 88305s in CALIFORNIA@!!!!one!

Please medical students, TAKE HEED. Flee for your lives NOW.

/did I do it right?

This is great news indeed, but with that said... do you think that this somehow correlates with average age to retirement for a pathologist? Something about prying a pathologist's cold, dead hands away from the scope...

As a recent fellowship graduate, I have to say that I have am pretty satisfied with my professional life despite the fact that I am not doing what I had anticipated (which was 100% heme).

It is interesting that the older profession seem to be more satisfied. Maybe this dispels the grumpy old men stereotype. Or maybe people satisfied with their job stay in their job.

This is TERRIBLE NEWS!!!!!!!

Satisfied pathologists DO NOT RETIRE!!!! Please, WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!! This is just more evidence that CAP is in cahoots with ACADEMIA to STEAL ALL OUR CHEESE. More pathologists means MORE competition, which means soon, Pathologists will only be able to make $0.50/88305!!!! I hear some people are actually paying to sign out 88305s in CALIFORNIA@!!!!one!

Please medical students, TAKE HEED. Flee for your lives NOW.

/did I do it right?

You raise excellent points, thank you for clarifying how this information will devastate our field.

These should push the sarcasometer all the way to the top.

Well I do know that clinicians in other fields that I know with talk about burnout a lot. I don't hear it from pathologists. Surgeons and oncologists it seems are most affected - maybe because they are being pushed from so many angles.

Think about the lifestyle and income, Path is way much better than surgery or IM.

Did the 2014 cuts go away? That would be positive news.

Read the article.......>70% of physician responders were 20+ years since graduation of medical school so Im sure these people are very satisfied and not burned out doing a small fraction of the workload and making the assloads of money that they are while denying partnerships to the new grads who are scrambling for jobs 2 time zones away from their family after doing 3 fellowships. Article proves nothing. . Anyone oblivious about the horrific economic state of Pathology has no grasp on reality.

Read the article.......>70% of physician responders were 20+ years since graduation of medical school so Im sure these people are very satisfied and not burned out doing a small fraction of the workload and making the assloads of money that they are while denying partnerships to the new grads who are scrambling for jobs 2 time zones away from their family after doing 3 fellowships. Article proves nothing. . Anyone oblivious about the horrific economic state of Pathology has no grasp on reality.

^^^entitlement^^^

. . Anyone oblivious about the horrific economic state of Pathology has no grasp on reality.[/QUOTE said:
explain what you mean please