More info about Emory's CV fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chompcookie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm applying for cardiothoracic anesthesia this year and it's that time when the rank list gets mixed around all month :p
I am specifically asking about Emory's fellowship in this thread-- anyone know much about it?

I interviewed there right before the pandemic changes took place, so I got to interview with some faculty but didn't get to talk face-to-face with fellows or see the hospitals. I emailed some of the fellows some questions and got a lot of helpful information, but I would still like to hear more from others if possible. I'm looking for a fellowship where I can get really comfortable working on my own cases (practicing the supervisory role is nice but not a biggie for me)... and yes, I know about Duke, Cleveland Clinic, and THI haha. The current fellows said they worked anywhere from a 50:50 to 70:30 - solo to a supervisory role in the ORs, which would make a huge difference for me. Does anyone know more about this?

Also, any extra info on Emory's CV fellowship would be great-- some attendings have told me their other attending friend who went to Emory for fellowship wouldn't stop talking about how great it was, etc. etc. but I haven't been able to talk to anyone directly who trained there (except for the current faculty and fellows). I'd like to know what made their training so great. I really like how they have a ton of 1:1 echo training which is important for me and that they have a good number of cases as well. I would love to hear from any recent alumni or anyone really has more information about the program since its near the top of my list. Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

some attendings have told me their other attending friend who went to Emory for fellowship wouldn't stop talking about how great it was, etc. etc.

Does anyone say anything bad about any fellowship program they go to?

But I am following this thread. Georgia sounds awesome.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha true, good point... but fellows have been open about saying what they thought could be improved at some programs.
Yeah, will keep a look out. Hoping for some replies!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there some time ago. Had several friends who trained there - good training, but hard work. Have had some turnover in their leadership structure in the overall department which led to some years they didn’t fill (and barely match anyone in fact) to their core residency.

The biggest negative to me was when you took call, which was fairly frequent from what I remember, you covered 3 hospitals spread around Metro Atlanta starting in the late afternoon. Wasn’t uncommon to have to travel around based on cases. Traffic is pretty miserable downtown especially at rush hour, which made communiting to these places a pain. Plus with 3 hospitals you have basically double or triple the opportunities for call-ins some emergencies but more likely bring backs for bleeds are all are high volume centers.

On the surface at least, it was one of the only true “hybrid” programs where you do a good deal of supervising residents as well as doing your own cases. Surprisingly the fellows didn’t have positive things at the time to say about it, but the program was undergoing significant changes when I interviewed.

Very high volume ECMO center if that’s your thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your post AdmiralChz! They currently cover 2 hospitals (one in Midtown and one in the Emory Village/Decatur area). The current fellows seemed happy with their training, but I didn't ask what recent changes have taken place in the past few years. Thanks again, really helpful!

One of my partners finished his CV fellowship there in 2017. PM me if you’d like me to hook you up with him.