More loan questions. Yay!!!!

Started by Faze2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Faze2

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am doing an informal post bacc at a four year school. I have enough money saved up to be able to afford the pre req's, but I think if I take a lot of upper science classes, which I may have to to raise my gpa, loans might be the way to go, especially if I can't work as much. Can you still take out loans for the situation I am in? I am almost paid off for my student loans from my undergrad. Do I have to do a private loan, or can I get state funding? If it matters about the school where I am taking the courses, it is Temple University, a public institution.
 
I am doing an informal post bacc at a four year school. I have enough money saved up to be able to afford the pre req's, but I think if I take a lot of upper science classes, which I may have to to raise my gpa, loans might be the way to go, especially if I can't work as much. Can you still take out loans for the situation I am in? I am almost paid off for my student loans from my undergrad. Do I have to do a private loan, or can I get state funding? If it matters about the school where I am taking the courses, it is Temple University, a public institution.
I'm not sure about your loan question. But let me offer another suggestion. Complete your prereqs (which you the money for). But instead of taking additional upper-level undergraduate courses to boost your GPA, consider a masters program in biology. If you can get a teaching assistantship, they'll pay for your courses and give you a stipend.
 
Short answer is yes you can take out loans. I did the same thing got one extra year of federal loans (for my 5th year of undergraduate they considered) then I had to use private loans.

Some schools allow you federal aid in various loopholes such if you are persuing a graduate degree with their instution and these are prereqs. I would contact your schools financial aid office to find out what type of aid you'd qualify for. I was surprised at how much aid I was available for. I got offered federal loans this year which I didn't think I was eligible for (and the financial aid office whom told me that I wasn't eligible for them are the ones who actually gave them) but I didn't take them b/c I thought I was ineligible since the office said I wasn't. I now wonder if I still could have ... but I already have my loans set up.