More loan questions. Yay!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faze2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am doing an informal post bacc at a four year school. I have enough money saved up to be able to afford the pre req's, but I think if I take a lot of upper science classes, which I may have to to raise my gpa, loans might be the way to go, especially if I can't work as much. Can you still take out loans for the situation I am in? I am almost paid off for my student loans from my undergrad. Do I have to do a private loan, or can I get state funding? If it matters about the school where I am taking the courses, it is Temple University, a public institution.

ntmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing an informal post bacc at a four year school. I have enough money saved up to be able to afford the pre req's, but I think if I take a lot of upper science classes, which I may have to to raise my gpa, loans might be the way to go, especially if I can't work as much. Can you still take out loans for the situation I am in? I am almost paid off for my student loans from my undergrad. Do I have to do a private loan, or can I get state funding? If it matters about the school where I am taking the courses, it is Temple University, a public institution.
I'm not sure about your loan question. But let me offer another suggestion. Complete your prereqs (which you the money for). But instead of taking additional upper-level undergraduate courses to boost your GPA, consider a masters program in biology. If you can get a teaching assistantship, they'll pay for your courses and give you a stipend.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Short answer is yes you can take out loans. I did the same thing got one extra year of federal loans (for my 5th year of undergraduate they considered) then I had to use private loans.

Some schools allow you federal aid in various loopholes such if you are persuing a graduate degree with their instution and these are prereqs. I would contact your schools financial aid office to find out what type of aid you'd qualify for. I was surprised at how much aid I was available for. I got offered federal loans this year which I didn't think I was eligible for (and the financial aid office whom told me that I wasn't eligible for them are the ones who actually gave them) but I didn't take them b/c I thought I was ineligible since the office said I wasn't. I now wonder if I still could have ... but I already have my loans set up.