• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Faze2

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Jessica Biel's Closet
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am doing an informal post bacc at a four year school. I have enough money saved up to be able to afford the pre req's, but I think if I take a lot of upper science classes, which I may have to to raise my gpa, loans might be the way to go, especially if I can't work as much. Can you still take out loans for the situation I am in? I am almost paid off for my student loans from my undergrad. Do I have to do a private loan, or can I get state funding? If it matters about the school where I am taking the courses, it is Temple University, a public institution.

ntmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am doing an informal post bacc at a four year school. I have enough money saved up to be able to afford the pre req's, but I think if I take a lot of upper science classes, which I may have to to raise my gpa, loans might be the way to go, especially if I can't work as much. Can you still take out loans for the situation I am in? I am almost paid off for my student loans from my undergrad. Do I have to do a private loan, or can I get state funding? If it matters about the school where I am taking the courses, it is Temple University, a public institution.
I'm not sure about your loan question. But let me offer another suggestion. Complete your prereqs (which you the money for). But instead of taking additional upper-level undergraduate courses to boost your GPA, consider a masters program in biology. If you can get a teaching assistantship, they'll pay for your courses and give you a stipend.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status (Visible)
Short answer is yes you can take out loans. I did the same thing got one extra year of federal loans (for my 5th year of undergraduate they considered) then I had to use private loans.

Some schools allow you federal aid in various loopholes such if you are persuing a graduate degree with their instution and these are prereqs. I would contact your schools financial aid office to find out what type of aid you'd qualify for. I was surprised at how much aid I was available for. I got offered federal loans this year which I didn't think I was eligible for (and the financial aid office whom told me that I wasn't eligible for them are the ones who actually gave them) but I didn't take them b/c I thought I was ineligible since the office said I wasn't. I now wonder if I still could have ... but I already have my loans set up.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.