Some questions for a career changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nontrad20

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I have a few questions regarding my post-bacc, but heres some stats to give some context

22M Graduated 2025 from state school w/ B.S. Business analytics & minored in Computer Science
cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 2.9

Currently enrolled in a post-bacc at a local state school, taking 32 credits, with a 4.0 I should be able to get to a 3.47c and a 3.5s GPA (going well so far).

Clinical Experience:

Pharm. Tech/delivery driver: 4500+ Hours (family business, I have good stories/experiences but this may not technically count as clinical)

MA part time (starting soon): expected 600+ hours

Research:
Will be participating in a research program with a hospital in orthopedic research (expected 250+ hours, publication, presentation), I will have the opportunity to continue research in different areas after this summer as well.

Volunteering:
Local faith community: 100 hours
Soup kitchen: 130 hours+ expected

Leadership:
1 year of president of club on campus
Sunday school & youth leader: 70 hours

Other:
Data Analytics intern: 500 hours

My questions: (I really would prefer to apply in spring 2027, that being said if its too unrealistic I will have to delay it a year and that's fine)

I will be taking orgo 2 & biochem, and will finish them in beginning of May 2027. Is it unrealistic to take biochem while studying for the MCAT then taking it right after?

Are MD schools still within reach due to my GPA if I get a solid MCAT score (510+)?

Do med school see my application as rushed as I switched from business to premed in late 2025 and will be applying the spring 2027?
 
Delivery driver isn't really clinical experience. Do you have your CDL-A with no restrictions, by any chance?

Try to get at least 1000 hours of MA (half a year of full-time or 1 year part-time work) and 250 hours of non-clinical service.

Continue with your postbacc until you have around a 3.5 for both cGPA and sGPA. You'll want 515+ for a good shot at MD or 505+ for DO. For MD, below 515, it's improbable but could happen.
 
Last edited:
I would say you are going to have a hard time with MD schools unless you are closer to the 517+ range and/or your application really resonates with someone. The pharm tech delivery driver may count as "some" unique clinical hrs but certainly not most. If I was trying to hedge my bets I would try to find a health systems project (research or real world) where you could put your current skills to use. Data analytics and health care systems optimization experience would be one way to separate yourself from the crowd and could be the standout on your application that makes someone overlook your GPA. As always, take the MCAT when you can give it your best effort. I would strongly NOT advise taking it until AFTER you have completed biochem and know biochem forward and backwards.
 
No bets with schools without an official MCAT result.

Sorry, being a pharm tech delivery driver is not clinical. You could be a driver for a mobile clinic, and that might be marginally closer to being "clinical." But most of your training isn't going to have you provide care from a converted trailer or a tent. You may have some interesting insights about patient needs and access, but you need traditional clinical experience such as in a hospital or traditional outpatient clinic. Talk with us after you get those 600 hours as an MA.

Oh, your non-clinical service orientation experience needs more hours. Get at least 150 hours at your food bank before thinking about submitting an application (and the more the better).

Get some advice from a postbac or SMP director about your chances with the grades you have. You may have to go through a postbac/SMP to become a more academically credible applicant.