More money then school budget

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotgame83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am working out my expenses for medical school. I will be an MS1 this year. I have totaled up insurance, tuition, supplies, gas, food, housing and a few other things and I am going to be ridiculously close to my schools budget this year. I have read a lot of threads on how to cut corners and save money and I plan on doing all of that, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any loans that can be taken out which dont need to be certified by your school because I am already taking out the maximum allowed. I wont be taking it out right now because I am going to be trying my best to save money, but if during the year I realize i am falling short Im trying to have a back up plan. Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Bank of America has a maximizer loan that does not have to be school certified. That seems to be the most popular option around here.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are actually quite a few loans which offer funds which don't require certification by your financial dept. BofA is one choice, but their rates aren't the best. Sallie Mae's Tuition Answer might be a better choice. Note that your credit history will become a factor here.

http://drs2be.blogspot.com/2006/05/current-loan-rates.html

And if you need short-term spending money to fill the gap (which might be made up by next year's financial aid payments)... then you should look at Prosper as an option as well. All of the commercial private loans charge you a 5%-9% fee right off the bat, and I'm not sure if prepayment is an option. Both of those aren't issues with Prosper, even if you have poor credit that BofA or Chase scoffs at.

exlawgrrl said:
Bank of America has a maximizer loan that does not have to be school certified. That seems to be the most popular option around here.
Just got a check from Bank of America through their maximizer loan. It worked out great. gotgame or anyone else, PM me if you need details. It sure is a life saver.
Jason