more on the NYCOM match list thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following was posted on another thread. My comments are below.

"This is something all students need to consider when they are applying to medical school. What you do and where you go during those four or five years will make all the difference when applying for residency programs. This is the residency (match) list for our recent graduating class of 2003.

I know this is a pre-allopathic form, but our match list was pretty good:

Anesthesia: (26 total!)
Cleveland Clinic
Einstein, NY (3)
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Wisconsin
Yale
NYU
Suny Downstate (5)
Maimonides, NY
Metroheath, OH
Temple, Philadelphia, PA
Univ of Mass, MA
UConn, CT
Univ Buffalo, NY
Metrohealth Med Ctr (OH)
Stony Brook, NY
Westchester Med Ctr, NY (NYMC)

Emergency Medicine:
Beth Israel, New York, NY
LIJ/ Einstein, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset, NY
Univ at Buffalo (2)
Newark Beth Israel, NJ
Albert Einstein, Philadelphia, PA
St. Barnabus, NY (6)
St. Barnabus, NY EM/IM Combined
UMDNJ, Kennedy Memorial (EM/IM Combined)

Family Practice:
Good Samaritan, NY
New York United Hospital
Mercy Hospital, PA
St. Claires, NY, NY
Union Hospital, NJ (2)
Northside Hospital, FL
St. Barnabus, NY (3)
St. Josephs, Syracuse NY
Overlook Hospital, NJ (2)
Somerset Med Ctr, NJ
UMDNJ (2)
Univ of Pittsburgh

General Surgery:
Doctor's Hospital, OH
Stony Brook, NY
Maimonides Med Ctr, NY
Nassau Univ Med Ctr, NY
St. Vincents, NY, NY
Wyckoff Heights Med Ctr, NY, NY
St. Barnabus, NY

OTO-Facial/Plastic Surgery
Northeast Regional Medical Ctr, MO

Internal Medicine:
Beth Israel, New York, NY (4)
George Washington Univ, DC
Hershey, Penn State
Kaiser Perm, CA
Lennox Hill, NY (2)
Loma Linda, CA
LIJ, NY
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset (2)
New York Hospital, NY, NY (6)
St Josephs, AZ
SUNY Stony Brook, NY
Univ of Southern California
Univ of Tennessee, Nashville
UMNDNJ- Newark (2)
UMDNJ- Robert Wood (4)
Univ of Mass, Worcester, MA
Westchester Medical Ctr, NY
Winthrop Univ Hospital, NY (6)
Yale University, New Haven CT (2)

Neurology:
Albany Med, NY
LIJ, NY
North Shore Univ Hospital, Manhasset, NY
UMDNJ- Newark

NeuroSurgery:
Doctors Hospital, OH (2)

OB/Gyn
Albany Med (3)
Beth Israel, NY, NY
MCP Hahnemann, Philadelphia, PA
Michigan State, Lansing, MI
St Francis, CT
St. Vincents, NY, NY
Univ Buffalo, NY

Optho:
Univ Buffalo, NY

Orthopedic Surgery:
St. Vincents, New York, NY (NYMC)

Pathology:
St. Lukes-Roosevelt, NY
SUNY, Syracuse, NY

Peds:
LIJ, NY
Good Samaritan, NY (2)
Stony Brook (3)
Suny Downstate (3)
Univ Buffalo
Winthrop Univ Hospital (3)

PM&R:
Harvard
Einstein, NY
LIJ, NY (2)
Mt Sinai School of Medicine, NY
NYU School of Medicine
St. Vincents, NY, NY
Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Psychiatry:
LIJ, NY
Maimonides, NY
St. Lukes-Roosevelt- Columbia (2)
Stony Brook (2)
Thomas Jefferson, Philadelphia, PA
Univ of Mass

Radiology (Diagnostic)
MCP Hahnemann
Harlem Hospital, NY, NY
Nassau Univ Med Ctr, NY
St. Barnabus, NY, NY"

MY COMMENTS:

There are some nice matches on this list and a lot of bland ones.

If you want to see a "sick" match list. Just look at Stanford's.

I assumed that the best students from mediocre schools matched better than the worst students from the best schools. But after seeing Stanford's, that can't be the case. Even the worst students at Stanford must be matching Ivy and in the Univ of Calif system.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not add onto the thread we already have on this topic?

Wrigley

because the thread was four pages long and I didn't know if my remarks would make any sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by pathstudent
If you want to see a "sick" match list. Just look at Stanford's.

Originally posted by pathstudent
because the thread was four pages long and I didn't know if my remarks would make any sense.

Thanks for the clarification (Your careful implementation of the "sick" adjective made this whole thread worthwhile!):rolleyes:

Considering the quality of some of the posts on the other thread, I'd say that making sense is at best a secondary concern for posting there.

But just to address your original comments, I'd say that all of Stanford's students are pretty far up the bell curve as far as test taking ability is concerned. High board scores plus the Stanford "brand name" will get you where you want to go in the match game.

As far as the mediocre schools go, sometimes excellent students go to their state schools for cost reasons -- it wouldn't be uncommon for some of their students to smoke the boards and get great residencies. The real dregs are expensive schools with low reputations -- they tend to get the worst students because they have very little to offer prospective applicants. They are the worst of both worlds in terms of cost/reputation.

At any rate, the bottom line is that better students get better residencies. It's just that some schools have a lot more excellent students, and their match lists reflect this.

Wrigley

I'm not sure why this required a new thread. The same exact topic has been discussed on the previous thread, ala comparing NYCOM's match list to Stanford's. I suppose you were just too lazy to read the whole thing ;), for your comments are plagiarized from some of your colleagues.

I'm not so sure why this struck such a nerve with so many premedical and allopathic medical students anyway, as I'm not sure why everyone cares so much. Any ideas? One thing I'll preface that with is the person who posted the list originally should have chose his/her words much better, as to not incite such a hostile atmosphere.

The above list does have it's average programs, as it has it's above average programs, just like 85% of all medical schools. Let's post some state school match lists and start comparing apples to apples, as I dont see anyone else throwing up their match against Stanford's, or Harvard's or Hopkins.... or shall we? Any takers?

Originally posted by Wrigleyville
Considering the quality of some of the posts on the other thread, I'd say that making sense is at best a secondary concern for posting there.

But just to address your original comments, I'd say that all of Stanford's students are pretty far up the bell curve as far as test taking ability is concerned. High board scores plus the Stanford "brand name" will get you where you want to go in the match game.

As far as the mediocre schools go, sometimes excellent students go to their state schools for cost reasons -- it wouldn't be uncommon for some of their students to smoke the boards and get great residencies. The real dregs are expensive schools with low reputations -- they tend to get the worst students because they have very little to offer prospective applicants. They are the worst of both worlds in terms of cost/reputation.

At any rate, the bottom line is that better students get better residencies. It's just that some schools have a lot more excellent students, and their match lists reflect this.

Wrigley

Wrigley! What a turn of events! You rip me new one on the thread I started, then you co-sign with me on a new thread that people aren't looking at?!
What's up with that!!!!

LOL

Just don't kill me this time! ;)

"One thing I'll preface that with is the person who posted the list originally should have chose his/her words much better, as to not incite such a hostile atmosphere. "
-oceandocDO

Not for nothing, and no disrespect intended, but the whole point of the wording of the posting was to get more eyes on it. That is done with a catchy title and contraversal topic introduction.

Let's not forget that presentation is everything in this world people... We want to be doctors, but we are still human in nature, right? Most of us anyway....?

I had a specific reason for the wording chosen, and this all came about when I was asked to answer a recruiting question on day at an Undergraduate college I visited.

My posting was so hot that another thread is devoted to it!
:laugh:

Don't mind me.... another late night studying.... I kill me! +pissed+ +pissed+

almond joy DO...

You are awesome!!! To put out just a one sentance topic and get all that response is impressive! It's like fish biting at the first smell of bate...kinda animalistic....I guess some people still have that dog-eat-dog world when it comes to the MD/DO thing!

Be patient- when MDs and pre-MDs realize what osteopathy is about, then I think everything will calm down...and the two fields can work together. I am sure that you probably wouldn't see that kind of reaction if there was an MD match list posted on the pre-osteopathic web site! But I guess some people are a little more open than others (or maybe more comfortable with the field that they chose)...

(Before anyone writes back, I realize that there are tons of pre-allopathic/allopathic students that understand osteopathy and don't get this heated...I am directing this mainly to the "haters")

-SexyEgptnDr
SexyEgptnDr

SexyEgptnDr

DO's and MD's in the real world where it matters have ZERO problems working together. I don't think this is an issue.

Originally posted by SexyEgptnDr
You are awesome!!! To put out just a one sentance topic and get all that response is impressive! It's like fish biting at the first smell of bate...kinda animalistic....I guess some people still have that dog-eat-dog world when it comes to the MD/DO thing!

I believe her original post was edited to make it more "harmonious" after it received some negative responses.

Wrigley

meanderson-

You are exactly right!!!! My father, an MD, taught at both DO and MD schools and that's how I found out about osteopathy...I didn't even know that it existed before I was in college.....however, there are tons people unlike yourself that don't see that. In the real world, they just want someone that can do the job....it doesn't matter where you went to school.

that's it...but with some of the attitudes that I see on SDN, I am scared that people will have to learn the hard way...when they are in their 3rd or 4th year rotations...I just don't like seeing or having to educate ignorant people...

I hope you didn't take offense to my post, meanderson...

When I read some of these postings, I just laugh and shake my head with disbelief...but it makes a great study break! And that's what I meant by my comment...

K- back to neuro!

SexyEgptnDr

Originally posted by Wrigleyville
I believe her original post was edited to make it more "harmonious" after it received some negative responses.

Wrigley

Don't you wish I did try to sugar coat my OP. How dare you accuse me of doing something so cowardly... I made my statement on the topic and I'm sticking to it!

:clap: :clap:

I think you're mad that you finally make some sense by agreeing with me after a whole week of trying to deny the fact that NYCOM had an awesome match list that compares to most allopathic schools.

I'm addressing the middle 50% of the curve only, so keep your 25% (Upper or lower, whereever you feel comfy) to yourself! :laugh: :laugh:

SexyEgptnDr, you make a whole lot of sense!

:D

Since you keep on repeating this lie that NYCOM's list is so awesome and compares to most medical schools that are not top the likes of Stanford, Hopkins, Harvard, etc.....let's see how it compares to Suny-Downstate's matchlist:

http://sls.downstate.edu/studentaffairs/match/2003.html

derm- 3
neurosurgery- 1
opthamology-5
ortho-7
ent-4
urology-5

That's 25 compared to what......2-4(?) here total for NYCOM? Before anyone says that it's not fair to compare the two since DO students don't put as much emphasis on those fields, I'm only responding to dr almond who keeps insisting that the NYCOM match lists looks like most allopathic matches. That's clearly not the case.

Originally posted by dr_almondjoy_do
Don't you wish I did try to sugar coat my OP. How dare you accuse me of doing something so cowardly... I made my statement on the topic and I'm sticking to it!

My mistake. I thought you removed the text that prompted my original response, but it turns out that post was later in the thread, and it is still there in all it's glory. I apologize for suggesting that you ninja-edited your post.

Wrigley

Originally posted by meanderson
Since you keep on repeating this lie that NYCOM's list is so awesome and compares to most medical schools that are not top the likes of Stanford, Hopkins, Harvard, etc.....let's see how it compares to Suny-Downstate's matchlist:

http://sls.downstate.edu/studentaffairs/match/2003.html

derm- 3
neurosurgery- 1
opthamology-5
ortho-7
ent-4
urology-5

That's 25 compared to what......2-4(?) here total for NYCOM? Before anyone says that it's not fair to compare the two since DO students don't put as much emphasis on those fields, I'm only responding to dr almond who keeps insisting that the NYCOM match lists looks like most allopathic matches. That's clearly not the case.

I think you're mad that you finally make some sense by agreeing with me after a whole week of trying to deny the fact that NYCOM had an awesome match list that compares to most allopathic schools.

I'm addressing the middle 50% of the curve only, so keep your 25% (Upper or lower, whereever you feel comfy) to yourself!

Now, that goes to you too!

I'm addressing the middle 50% of the curve only, so keep your 25% (Upper or lower, whereever you feel comfy) to yourself!

Just in case you didn't get it the first time around...

Those people that match in whatever specialty will still have to work together DO or MD, and how many times do I have to state that this is a PARTIAL list of a class of over 300 students?!

I just wanted to show some pre-meds that DOs do well too..

Would you suggest that someone go international MD instead of
Osteopathy just to "fit in" with people like you? This has nothing to do with the other, but I just want to know...

>>I think you're mad that you finally make some sense by >>agreeing with me after a whole week of trying to deny the fact >>that NYCOM had an awesome match list that compares to >>most allopathic schools.

>>I'm addressing the middle 50% of the curve only, so keep your >>25% (Upper or lower, whereever you feel comfy) to yourself!

Ok...then say "the middle 50% of NYCOM's match list looks similar to the middle 50% of most allopathic schools". That's a lot different than what you have been repeating.

People who are interested in certain specialties shouldn't be led to believe things that aren't true.